Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Creaking paragon dropouts…help!!
  • Premier Icon DrP

My singlespeed is fast becoming my most needy bike!!!

It’s a Ti frame with paragon sliding dropouts..

I’m 98.7% sure it’s the dropouts that creak like buggery under force…
    I’ve cleaned ’em up, tried a bit of carbon assembly paste.. they still creak.

Bar a layer of copper slip (which will probably negate the wway they work, as they squeeze the plates together) anyone got any solutions?
    Is tehre a sort of ‘lubricating but sticky paste’ (Don’t say it…) that I couls slap onto them?

ta!!

DrP

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

At the point you are at I might start considering the possibility of a crack…

Premier Icon DrP

well if I spray the dropouots with water, it calms the noise down, so i really think it’s them…

I might actually slap some copperslip on them just to 100% clarify it’s the dropout…
    Having had a Ti frame crack on me before, it’s not a similar sound…but will have another good look for cracks!

DrP

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

Are you sure the slider and plate aren’t bottoming out before it’s gripping the frame?
    If they are file a bit off the face of the slider.
    I always used to put a bit of copperslip on my paragon sliders on a Ti frame.
    I also swapped the Ti bolts for stainless to get more torque on them.

Premier Icon DanW
    Free Member

Is the dropout raw Ti or treated/ painted/ anodized in any way, in the area where the dropouts meet the frame? Old or new frame?

There are big threads on the MTBR singlespeed section which may be of help as well

Premier Icon DrP

the frame is raw ti..

Annoyingly, there’s a bit of ‘rock’ in the dropout/frame interface – as in holding the rear brake and rocking the bike demonstrates a bit of play in the dropout/frame interface

Busted??

DrP

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

As i said up there.
    Check the slider isn’t bottoming on the plate that the bolts go through.
    The faces of the slot in the frame can deform/ware and the bolts bottom out before they clamp the slider tight.
    Sounds like that’s what’s happening.

Premier Icon DrP

will do…
    It FEELS pretty tight, TBH.. i’d have thought if they were bottoming out (as in, the bolts just tightening agains the dropoout, rather than the frame, right?) I assume it would always be a bit loos?

Will check though..

DrP

Premier Icon DanW
    Free Member

SSStu’s idea seems most likely

Annoyingly, there’s a bit of ‘rock’ in the dropout/frame interface – as in holding the rear brake and rocking the bike demonstrates a bit of play in the dropout/frame interface

Silly question but are you sure this is at the dropouts and not the pads moving in the calipers?

Premier Icon haggis1978

Get copperslip or molykote 1000 on them. Whichever one you use check there won’t be a reaction with the titanium. Every bolted connection in an industrial setting uses lubricant. If you don’t use lube you need to double the torque on the bolts. We wouldn’t use it if we were worried it would come loose. If you want to be exact then email paragon, ask them for a torque figure with lubricant. Make sure you know the co-efficient of friction on the lubricant your using first and include that in your email, then apply that torque to the bolt.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.