Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Creaking Hope BB ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

Only 3 months old so doubt it but seem to have a creak / tinging type noise from the BB area which is worse when applying more power.

I’ve stripped the cranks off and cleaned the BB like the Hope video shows, and even replaced the chain, but its still doing it.

Moon on a stick but any Ideas ?

bruneep

Checked:
    Crank bolts
    Chainring bolts
    Pedals

simmy
    Free Member

Done the pedals as well forgot to put that in the OP

Could be the chainring bolts I suppose as it was all new with the BB, new chainrings put onto secondhand cranks as my original cranks were square taper and wouldn’t work with the hope BB.

Liftman

Have you put copper grease on the threads

trickride
    Free Member

I chased a BB creak for about a month once, turned out to be the seat post creaking against the seat post tube because of a build up of crap in there. Try going round the block with your seat out.

simmy
    Free Member

Have you put copper grease on the threads

The threads on the chainrings ? I don’t know as my LBS put it all together, its just I’d rather have a go at fixing it myself as I’m busy when he’s open at the moment.

bigh
    Free Member

out of interest, on what bike is this

feisty
    Free Member

Swappable dropouts? I have this issue on my Scandal even after sorting the poor stock bolts out.

simmy
    Free Member

out of interest, on what bike is this

Orange G3

simmy
    Free Member

Sussed it.

Was the end of the axle where the crank is splined onto, it was dirty with grit and muck so cleaned it up proper, thin film of grease and its quiet as a mouse now 😀

br
    Free Member

The threads on the chainrings ? I don’t know as my LBS put it all together, its just I’d rather have a go at fixing it myself as I’m busy when he’s open at the moment.

Does that mean you’ve not actually taken the BB off to have a look?

simmy
    Free Member

No I didn’t take the BB off as I’ve no tools to get it off.

simmy
    Free Member

Well thought I’d sussed it 😳

It’s creaking again but only when under load i.e. going up slight incline / uphill on the flat it’s doing it a bit, but not as loud.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

chilled76
    Free Member

Check you’ve got no grit in the threads between the bb and frame, I’ve had this cause a weird creak before.

Paul

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

One of my Hope BB on the singlespeed was creaking. Had issues with the chainring bolts, fixed that still slight click and creak. Stripped and found the driveside bearing was full of grinding paste. Bike is cleaned a dozen times a year and ridden 6 days a week and no jetwash yadda yadda. Not sure how it got in there. Flushed it out and regreased, but is beyond help and needs a replacement bearing. Anyone know where sells and what to fit please?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not much choice of bearings as hope and a few others use custom bearings that have the correct 24 mm hole
    Would guess crc have them or any lbs that stocks hope

theraggyone
    Free Member

Had the same symtoms a few months back with my hope bb .ordered the bb tool from superstar for a tenner took it apart (really easy job) gave it a thorough clean and applyed loads of grease to the threads both in frame and on cups .screwed the cups back In popped the plastic covers that sit on top of the bearings off with a small driver cleaned the bearings and put loads of grease in then replaced the covers and wiped away the excess grease that came out. Re assembled the cranks cleaning and greasing as I went and have not heard any creak since .silence is golden

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Creaking Hope BB ?’ is closed to new replies.