Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Creaking from XT Cranks and Hope BB combo anyone?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Got a Hope Steel Bearing BB replacement for my old XT cranks. Fine in dry weather but when gets wet or very dusty the BB starts to creak badly. The axle fits very easily into the BB now compared with the old cups. I wonder whether tiny bits of dirt get in between the axel and the bearings and cause the squeak. Once removed and cleaned or has dried out overnight its fine for a while. Anyone had this problem or do you think its the non-drive side crank attachments creaking?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Anyone got a Hope BB ?

coatesy
    Free Member

The axle should be a pretty snug fit in the bearings, not loose at all. Also, sounds like you’ve not greased it prior to assembly, worth trying a smear of grease or copperslip on the axle before fitting it.
    As you say, it may also be the other arm fitting, definitely worth tightening these to the correct torque setting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Guilliano
    Free Member

I assume when the cranks were fitted the little plastic preloading thingy was used? And the pinch bolts tightened fully? If they were there should be no reason for the creaking….. I have a Hope BB with SLX cranks and they are smooth as silk

unsponsored
    Free Member

I run XT and Hope BB. No issues to date.

foxyrider
    Free Member

The axle is certainly a “loose fit” and looks a bit worn on either end where it sits on the bearings – I always use the plastic end cap tightener and do the crank bolts up to the correct torque setting – I have some LX cranks on my hard tail so I will try the Hope BB in that and see if it fits better as its newer than the 07′ XT cranks. Think there maybe a subtle axle diameter issue here? I will also try and greese the axle but never had to do it before on other cranks? Cheers Guys.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Creaking from XT Cranks and Hope BB combo anyone?’ is closed to new replies.