Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Creaking fork? Will I diue.. how to check?
  • stevextc
    Free Member

After an off where I probably landed hard on the front (can’t really remember the actual impact) I’ve had a few creaks.. judging by the bars it was probably a fairly hard one.

Anyway with lockdown and a broken wrist I didn’t ride this bike much and having solved a annoying click in the pedals I’m left with a creak (which I’d thought was part of the same and seeme4d to go away when not pedalling)… forks have been in and out… stem and bars off and added some carbon paste for good measure… and I’m starting to wonder if the steerer or a stanchion is loose?

I’m not sure the forks are worth spending lot on (2015 Pikes with a small scratch in the air chamber that’s currently fine but …)

I can drop the 36’s and stick them on this bike and/or rip the forks apart but if i do rip em open how do I tell if the creak is from the forks or where? Will it be obvious ?
    Is this creak just annoying or will I die?

(also anyone know what it costs to get a steerer or stanchion re-pressed?)

stevextc
    Free Member

No-one ever had a suspected creaky stanchion or steerer ?
    (bump)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I did last week, stripped the headset out (Hope) and cleaned and greased, gone now.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had an old Revelation with a creaky CSU

To check i turned bike over, took wheel out, grabbed both fork legs and tried to move them back and forth in opposite directions. I could hear the creak. They were replaced under warranty.

Had a similar noise more recently, but the same check didn’t reveal anything. Eventually realised it was the top headset, slight play in bearing/headset cup.

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve got a creak/click from the front end at the moment. I get the click when moving the fork legs as described. Next step is to drop the fork out and do the same out of the bike, and then do a lower leg service to see if I can solve this. Fork is old, so if it isn’t solved, then I just ignore and hope.

stevextc
    Free Member

OK, cheers….
    I’ll do the wheel out/upside down and I guess I can check twice if I just put another fork in and then put the possibly creaking one back. (and it never hurts to clean and re-grease bearings)

Fork is old, so if it isn’t solved, then I just ignore and hope.

I suspect I might do the same since noone has said it led to catastrophic failure with no warning…
    I don’t really want to buy another non-boost fork just for future compatibility but I don’t really want to buy a new fork now anyway.

steel4real
    Free Member

I had similar last year with a 2016 Pike – chased the creak at the front, checked all usual suspects as above and found it was the fork, one of the stanchions. Confirmed by bike upside down, stand on grips and move stanchions forwards and back.

Got them removed and re-pressed by North East cycle works who have now shut down but I understand that RSF or Slick & Slide can also do it – best ask them for current prices.

33tango

Just solved a creak at the front of my bike by removing the forks and headset, applied lots of carbon paste to the frame and refitted the headset. I then added lots of grease to the fork steerer/headset and refitted the forks.

stevextc
    Free Member

Ah well… sod it.
    Its the airside stanchion … took the wheel off first as above but hard to say where then took out the fork and with lowers still on could feel the stanchion slightly.

I guess I’ll check RSF and see what a re-press costs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Creaking fork? Will I diue.. how to check?’ is closed to new replies.