Creaking Chris King Bottom Bracket ???

Home Forum Bike Forum Creaking Chris King Bottom Bracket ???

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Creaking Chris King Bottom Bracket ???
  • Burls72

I’ve got a bad creaking sound and i’m fairly sure it’s coming from the chris king bottom bracket. I had a quick look the other day, the cups were the correct torque and the bearings seemed ok but I didn’t have time to take the seals off/take the cups out to re-grease. I’m a bit concerned that their bottom brackets are like their headsets, anybody else had similar issues?

djen83

Check how tight the chain ring bolts are first, having even one not iron tight makes my bike creak loads, drives me mad!

Dave.

spikyjames

Yeah, I’ve had the same problem, thought it was my bottom bracket, tried a number of things, seat post/rear QR/BB out re-greased etc. it was only when I took the bolts out of the chain rings greased them up and re-tightened them that it went away. Always worth trying before anything else IMO.

James

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

I was told the Hope BB can creak as the axle and bearing are in direct contact. Is the King the same or does it have a sleeve like the Shimano?

Interested, as my SS eats Shimano BBs at a rate that makes a King / Hope ceramic look like a good buy – but I hate creaks..

My king headset creaked after a couple of years but a new O-ring sorted that.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

The King BB has a plastic sleeve between the bearings and crank so no metal on metal contact.
    XT BB’s used to last me about 6/7 months. i’ve been replacing them with Kings and not had any bother since. One of thems about 2 years old now.
    Worth buying the grease tool though. Takes 5 mins to regrease after a few shitty rides.

Burls72

Creaks, they drive me nuts. As soon as you cure one another starts!

I’ve checked the chainring bolts. It’s on my hardtail which i’m using for commuting so now i’ve got a bit of time off i’m going to strip and re-build the bike and hope that cures the problem.

I was worried they were like the headsets, but it’s good to know no one else has had the same problem.

Rik

Is it on a Ti frame?

I’ve got a few of them, never any trouble bar the Ti frame. Tried most things to solve the creak and different greases and copperslips, what finally solved it was seriously cranking it up when installing it into the frame. Never been any trouble now for 2 years – just twice yearly pump with the tool

Burls72

Yes it is a titanium frame. I did wonder if the titanium frame might have something to do with it because i’m sure i’ve read that they are prone to creaks.

When I strip and re-grease it i’ll ignore the torque wrench and get the breaker bar out!

Rik

Don’t go crazy – but I greased with a mix of copperslip and normal grease. Did it up tight then just a bit more :0)

I don’t have a torque wrench but have been fitting bottom brackets for 15 years and used to work in the trade so not a numpty when it comes to bike maintenance.

Burls72

No worries, I was only joking about the breaker bar. I’m good with the spanners.

Cheers for the tip, hopefully you have saved me a bit of head scratching and cursing.

woodsman

I’m pretty sure you’re not meant to use copperslip on ti..

Rik

Any reason not to use copperslip, or are you just guessing in the dark? As it does exactly that stops things binding together and Ti is pretty much the worst metal out there for binding with itself and other metals.

Also another really good reason is Chris King components themselves and because they last so long the remain in place for years and years. CK Headset of mine has been in a frame over ten years, bottom brackets over 2 years and still like new. Copperslip is ideal for this.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Creaking Chris King Bottom Bracket ???’ is closed to new replies.