Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Creaking bottom bracket – to ride or not to ride ….
  • mau00149
    Free Member

Out for a test ride tonight on the specialized enduro and sounds as though the bottom bracket is giving up the ghost, creaking badly at same part of the rotation on each pedal stroke (and in reverse). Was ok on thurs night when i had it out for a night ride. Have flushed the pedals with fresh grease, and no movement in them so not them. Suspension all smooth and no issues.

Problem is, supposed to be riding in Torridon tomorrow (30 mile loop)….no way i can get it fixed/replaced in time. Do i go ride it and put up with the creaks and hope nothing catastrophic happens half way round or pull out? 😯

Also have a rockhopper hardtail with 80mm up front but just wouldn’t be any fun on the decents

what do you reckon???? ride or not to ride??

p7rich
    Free Member

Ride. I’ve ridden for months on a creaky BB before now.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

swap chainset, BB, chain and cassette between bikes?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

Have you checked for bearing wear? Is it actually sloppy or just creaking? If that’s ok just take it out clean everything regrease and reinstall and I bet the creak will go away.

mau00149
    Free Member

not sloppy, cant feel any play in it at all. Loud creak, just at the start of the upstroke of the pedal on both sides. Unfortunately mate has borrowed my tools so cant swap/check anything out. Don’t want to miss out on a good days riding…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ride with an mp3 player on…..I was shocked to find out how noisy my bike was when the battery died.

rickmeister

Ride it, all the mud and gloop your going to go through will probably lube and kill it at the same time…

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

its like a 10 min job if that, just buy one on the way to the ride.

depth-junkie
    Free Member

Could also be that the bottom bracket has worked a fraction loose.

Just had this on my road bike, had a creak that was getting louder and louder over time. On inspection (removed the crank) The drive side cup had worked a tiny tiny bit loose (Shimano Hollow tech II BB(. Cleaned BB up, regreased and tightend up and guess what. Creak gone.

Kevevs
    Free Member

ride

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I have some squeaks like this at the moment. They only happen when the bike has not been used for a while, almost as if it dries out or something. A 90min ride every few days keeps them away. Ride it before the big ride.
    Some squeaks seem horendous on your dry road test loop outside your house but once you get off-road the damping effect of a soft surface along with the trail surface moving about masks the squeak.
    I do run a few bikes all with the same drivetrain and wheels so I can swap bits around in times of need – what about the drive train on the hardtail?

Enjoy

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Take the BB out, clean the treads and give the crank a good clean as well then put everything back together with plenty of grease, basically any surface that comes in contact with another surface. Tighten everything up as per manufactures recommendations and if it is still making a noise then your BB is fecked. In which case ride the arse off it until next spring then fit a new one.

ruscle
    Free Member

re grease the shell threads, put loads on the bottom bracket and frame threads and will probably sort it, also grease the pedal threads. Or wait till the mud and water on your ride works its way in and stops the creaking.

p7rich
    Free Member

Ride! Fix after.

elaineanne
    Free Member

yep i was going to say re-grease the pedal threads as it has stopped my bike from creaking ! (HOORAY)……even tho i had a Hope Bottom bracket fitted a few weeks back.. no creaking at all tho…. 😉

mau00149
    Free Member

Going to ride, to good an opportunity to miss. Taking the ipod, will keep out any cr@p chat from the mates as well, a brucey bonus!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Creaking bottom bracket – to ride or not to ride ….’ is closed to new replies.