Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 946 total)
  • CRC security issues?
  • psychle
    Free Member

coolio… I also shopped at CRC last week and used the £10 voucher, but no fraud on my account (yet… touch wood!), been keeping a close eye on it though!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i went in normally too as my voucher had expired by the time i made up my mind about my wheels 🙄 Am glad the bank picked up the transactions on my cc and called me, but i have now have no debit or credit cards and won’t have for a week.

Andituk
    Free Member

I’d like to be smug here and say I only ever use Paypal and have no problems, however the gits still haven’t processed my order from Sunday yet 😀

My Paypal is linked by DD to my bank account, which I assume is more secure anyway, harder to set up fraudulent DDs than use a card number I guess?

One downside, it does make it very easy to spend money 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

Same here…

I ordered on the 26th Feb and sure enough 2 O2 vouchers totalling £30 have been paid for using my card.

My bank card has been cancelled and new ones are in the post. I’ve also got a fraud claim form to fill in too.

bigjim

jim what size you after? we got a random set in…

😀 I’m after a size 46 – I was in yer shop last week actually buying women’s shorts and grease (don’t ask) but didn’t think to check. I bought a pair of Am40’s in size 47 from the coop sale but they are too big in use, they do have a 46 in but they now want £80 for them and I’m too tight, my mistake buying the wrong size obviously but hey I only have so much money to spend on fugly shoes 😆

ojom
    Free Member

ah i think we got some 44’s.

yeah i did get a report from the team about a tall guy buying ladies clothes and lube etc. It’s not something we like to encourage…

damo2576
    Free Member

I have emailed ‘singletrack’ about this but one thing I do feel that magazines don’t do is champion ‘consumer rights’ in any way.

I will bet you 2 O2 cards they will mention nothing in anyway detrimental to CRC!

Houns

Why i use a pay as you go credit card. It’s an arse sometimes when you need to buy something straight away but you have to pop into a shop to load it up first. But rather have that tiny bit of hastle over having to wait on the bank to sort out a refund and wait for a new card

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I used the voucher.

My money has been refunded by the bank. Didn’t seem interested when I told them where the security floor was (HSBC).

MM

bigjim

ah i think we got some 44’s.

yeah i did get a report from the team about a tall guy buying ladies clothes and lube etc. It’s not something we like to encourage…

doh. It’s the 21st century and I’ll wear what I want :o)

justy
    Free Member

Ordered some bits from CRC last week not using a voucher and had £100 taken from my account yesterday by lbb parking. Amount has been refunded by the bank and card cancelled.

iain1775
    Free Member

heres a hypothetical question for you, if I now used CRC, knowing about this risk and having contributed to this thread and I suffered fraud on the card as a result, when Im speaking with my bank to sort it and if I mention this thread could there then be an issue because technically I knew about it before placing the order so put the card at risk myself?

I need some XTR compatable Middleburn chainrings and CRC is by far the cheapest but I don’t fancy risking them at the moment

mbs2010
    Free Member

I use crc on a regular basis, done the only sensible thing and cancelled credit card, yea it’s a pain in the arse but it is a NECESSARY SAFE GUARD until this is resolved.

pixelmix
    Free Member

heres a hypothetical question for you, if I now used CRC, knowing about this risk and having contributed to this thread and I suffered fraud on the card as a result, when Im speaking with my bank to sort it and if I mention this thread could there then be an issue because technically I knew about it before placing the order so put the card at risk myself?

I need some XTR compatable Middleburn chainrings and CRC is by far the cheapest but I don’t fancy risking them at the moment

I’d say no, you would not have any problems claiming against your CC company. You might want to use paypal instead though?

FWIW, I bought some bits at the end of February when I got the email voucher, and so far the bank account is okay.

singlespeedstu

Balls.

Used CRC last week and just checked my account.

Two £15 payments to o2 been put through today.

Card cancelled and money refunded.

Tinners

Very interesting thread. I used CRC for the first time ever around 18 months ago and within a week or two, my credit card company called me up to ask if I’d bought Orange topup £10. I said “no” and they said that they’d suspected fraud (but not on my behalf, incidentally), cancelled the cards and sent new ones. They didn’t give any details and I was left impressed – and mystified – that they’d managed to pick it up. I didn’t link it with CRC at the time, but looking back and reading some of the posts here, it’s one heck of a coincidence……

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I have rung MBNA and informed their frued department that I believe this is the the source of the fraud and they are looking into.

When they rang me to say my card had been used I also told them of this thread – and that it appeared that a lot of CRC customers had been hit

uplink
    Free Member

Card company have suffered no loss as they pass the chargeback onto CRC who take on the chin and hope everyone keeps spending money with them.

so the ‘victim’ – CRC – just writes off the cash and puts some better security in.

It’ll be O2 etc that’ll be taking the hit, not CRC AFAIK

psychle
    Free Member

02 would be able to cancel the top-ups wouldn’t they?

uplink
    Free Member

02 would be able to cancel the top-ups wouldn’t they?

I would have thought so but there’s the John Lewis & other stuff too

although I suspect the top up is sold & used rather quickly

Tom83

My cards been done today, used CRC in the last 2 weeks. Whoever used it has a sense of humour though, £54.99 on Norton Internet Security. Card canceled and they’re trying to stop the transaction completing.

ftr1873
    Free Member

I used the voucher, £1700 Apple transaction! Might be a coincidence but there seems to be a lot of folk on here with the same problem.

nacho
    Free Member

Does anyone from CRC post on here? Would be nice if they commented, this thread has put me off using them for now…….

xiphon
    Free Member

Was it just CRC, or have there been other reports?

BoardinBob

A pisspoor response from CRC so far. Even if it’s not their fault you think they’d put out some kind of official response to reassure customers.

Tom83

I’ve just emailed CRC with a link to this thread, whether it’ll do anything is a different matter!

Twodogs

I’d ignored this thread until I got a call from the bank yesterday…someone tried to spend £139 at tMobile using my card details. fortunately was rejected, but still had to cancel the card

keppoch

Oh dear, I’ve been had too. 2 x O2 Prepay so far.

Sounds like best course of action is to cancel card 😈

4ndyB
    Free Member

someone from Bikeradar forum has spoken to CRC about this

Just spoke to chainreaction. They are aware of the situation and their security team are aware of the situation. Chainreaction does look like the platform for which the details have been stolen. I urge anyway who has used chainreaction to check their account or contact their bank immediatly.

andyl
    Free Member

just called mine to check. Unfortunately all the balance on the card is me 🙁

Tom83

Told my mate about this as he shops with crc as well, £30 of o2 top ups done on his card the 8th. Glad i told him!

p7rich
    Free Member

Add me to the list. Shopped with CRC a couple of weeks ago and someone has just attempted a £799 spend at John Lewis (online). MBNA spotted it and it was never auth’d. No cost to me, just hassle of new card and having to set up online servicing afresh.

Glad i’d already spotted this thread or i might have got quite paniced when they called today.

mudglutten
    Free Member

And another victim: £30 to O2 Prepay…

superdan

My bank called me the day after I used my card to buy a DVD from CRC last week, some topups and a kitchen! apparently.

Money refunded by bank and new cards, bit annoying though 🙁

crccustomersupport
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay in responding to the concerns you have expressed. We do take your comments very seriously and we understand the worry and frustration caused by credit card fraud. We would emphasise that the number of concerns brought to our attention is a tiny fraction of the number of transactions that we process on a daily basis, but no stone will be left unturned in our investigations.

Our own infrastructure is routinely and independently tested and we are confident that it is robust. We are working with industry experts including the card processing companies to identify possible causes both inside and outside the control of CRC.

We will update you with further information as and when we have it. In the meantime, if you are a customer of CRC and have been recently affected by any of the matters discussed, please contact us on +44 (0)2893343758 between 9am – 5.30pm or email enquiries@chainreactioncycles.com and we will be glad to help you.

The CRC Team

dlr

Just had an automated call claiming to be from Natwest, thought bit iffy so found their fraud number from their website and rung it, card on hold as over £2500 been taken off it inc pre pay vouchers etc and yes I placed a CRC order last week….(which took till today to turn up but thats a different matter)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well done crccustomersupport for coming on here.

I’ve not been affected (touch wood) but it’s good to see companies communicating with its customers.

btw I had a spate over 2 years of cards being cloned every few months. It was a royal pita and it turned out to be a national company (think parking at airports).

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey … sounds like a very serious system breach there as there are simply too many people to have such coincidence.

Bet there are some rootkits being installed in the system which can be a major headache to remove …

enfht
    Free Member

So, does this mean the I’ve inadvertently paid for the confused looking Thai bird that just been delivered in a CRC box? Should I feed and water her?

dlr

A friends now been done for 1.8k ………

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 946 total)

The topic ‘CRC security issues?’ is closed to new replies.