Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • CRC – Brand X lever warranty
  • craig24
    Free Member

Has anyone else managed to get a replacement lever from CRC for their Brand X dropper? Mine has the common fault of the whole lever rotating when I press it and you can’t tighten the bolt as it just ends up rounding off.

I’ve been waiting for a reply from CRC for over a week and I’m tempted to just purchase a Bonty lever but think CRC really should be sending out a replacement. There warranty department just keep telling me how busy they are and they are dealing with my request.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the bonty one shits on the brand X one – they will send you another itll be the same.

best 17 quid ever.

canopy
    Free Member

hmm i fear mine will go this way..

anyone know the length/width of the bolt so can source replacements? (obviously doesn’t help with the other issue)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dannyh
    Free Member

Do you mean that the lever rotates on the bar, or spins on the bar mount? I don’t have (or foresee) any problem with the lever moving as a whole – the mounting bracket has shelves and suchlike to fit the bits together?

It is a shonky bit of kit, though.

mrmoofo

The lever is not the cleverist bit of engineering I have seen.  I don’t think it will last long … so following this thread with interest.

craig24
    Free Member

Do you mean that the lever rotates on the bar, or spins on the bar mount? I don’t have (or foresee) any problem with the lever moving as a whole – the mounting bracket has shelves and suchlike to fit the bits together?

It is a shonky bit of kit, though.

The lever spins on the bar mount, as if the bolt to attach the lever to the bar mount is loose, but it’s not. Just wish CRC would respond.

legend
    Free Member

I’d just save myself the angst and buy the Bonty one suggested above

craig24
    Free Member

Hmm, I suppose! Just annoying…

dannyh
    Free Member

The lever spins on the bar mount, as if the bolt to attach the lever to the bar mount is loose, but it’s not. Just wish CRC would respond.

Not wanting to aggravate you (honestly not the intention) are you sure you have assembled it correctly? I have both variants (permanent cable end boss at lever and permanent end boss at seatpost) and can’t think what the problem is. If you have the ‘flappy’ lever version (stealth routing), the lever body and the clamp tessellate together really quite well. My concern is the up-and-down play in the lever when it should really only move forwards and back.

teethgrinder

The lever bolts onto the bar clamp with the same 2.5mm or 3mm hex bolt.  Mine was pap as well.   Bonty lever, as stated, shits all over the OEM Bx one.

craig24
    Free Member

Not wanting to aggravate you (honestly not the intention) are you sure you have assembled it correctly? I have both variants (permanent cable end boss at lever and permanent end boss at seatpost) and can’t think what the problem is. If you have the ‘flappy’ lever version (stealth routing), the lever body and the clamp tessellate together really quite well. My concern is the up-and-down play in the lever when it should really only move forwards and back.

Thanks but I’m pretty sure its assembled correctly, it’s been fine for a few months and only just started having the issue. It is indeed the flappy lever version.

I’ve just ordered the Bonty one as I give up with CRC.

dannyh
    Free Member

Sounds like I might be wrong, then, but I could swear that if correctly assembled there was a shelf on the clamp or the lever body that meant the lever body couldn’t rotate on the clamp……

In any case, I’ve had mine for over a year and when I bought it my only negative thought was “that lever is just badly assembled and loose and will break eventually”. A year later it is still badly assembled and loose, but hasn’t broken. The post is still performing well, even though either the keys or key-slots are worn as there is a lot of side to side play in the saddle (rotational).

It’s a classic case of decent value for money rather than excellent value for money, but it is still much less aggro than a reverb.

rico205
    Free Member

Pretty sure pnw components is the same stuff as brand x. Just released a new loam lever. Just had to order new inner cable for mine. 

nairnster
    Free Member

There was definitely a shelf on mine too and if assembled correctly there is no way it would be able to rotate separately to the bar clamp.

Bolts are m4.  I ordered some stainless ones from eBay for a couple of quid.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Them Brand X levers are alright ergonomically but dog shit design and quality!

Replaced it with the Bonty lever everyone’s on about! It’s not spring loaded like the original lever but that doesn’t seem to matter. It’s also easy to retrofit, as the cable is clamped at the lever via a grub screw, instead of using the cable stop end.

markrh
    Free Member

I’ve got two off them, had both for over a year, no problems at all.  I’ve also got a ten year old gravity dropper thats still going strong. Feeling blessed…

bri-72

Ive recently rounded the clamp bolt too.  A lot of bodges and eventually had to hacksaw through the bolt to remove.  Fitted a chunkier bolt with 4mm Allen head and all is good.

craig24
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve got mine assembled wrong then! Already ordered the Bonty one now anyway. Thanks everyone!

nre
    Free Member

For info I’ve just had a warranty replacement seatpost, which is the later spec with updated lever. The pivot point is now more in line with the thumb lever so has much less tendency to want to twist. Much better design!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-ascend-lever-kit-shifter-1x-gears-/rp-prod149026

Poopscoop

TBH worth going for the Bonty one if only due to the cable being clamped at the lever end which is a much nicer solution.

jeffl

The latest brand X lever is clamped at the lever end by a little grub screw.

matt_outandabout

I’ve an old XT shifter converted. Rock solid and nice action. Cost £3 from pink bike.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/tag/how-to-modify-a-shimano-shifter-into-a-dropper-post-switch/

mikertroid
    Free Member

My lever snapped so I  went for the bonty one… Just had a new post under warranty and will stick with the bonty one when I fit it, I think.

geex
    Free Member

PM me if you decide you’d like to sell the new BX lever @miketroid

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cheers… haven’t managed to get the post out the box yet to see what the new lever is like!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘CRC – Brand X lever warranty’ is closed to new replies.