Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Crazy brain interpretation
  • AlexSimon

I still can’t get my head around how these things sound so different and unique, yet interchangeable.
    Someone further down says you can make it say Brain Needle or Green Storm and as soon as you’r looking at the words it changes.

The brains ability to interpret is so incredible, that we’re not even aware of how much work it’s doing.
    Fascinating.

rene59
    Free Member

I hear Brain needle. It’s all about the frequency range of your hearing. Some can hear higher frequencies than others so certain sounds get masked if your hearing range doesn’t go that high.

AlexSimon

That’s what’s happening with that other viral one (Yanny/Laurel), but this one I can change at will to be either word.

All I have to do is think the word and that’s what it says.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    km79
    Free Member

I can’t hear brainstorm no matter how much I will it.

ebennett

I can hear both!

kcr
    Free Member

The McGurk effect is an interesting one as well:

DezB
    Free Member

“Ok it says brainstorm guys now stop retweeting that shit it’s annoying now.” 😆

Brain Needle. Can’t get storm ever.

AlexSimon

The McGurk effect is an interesting one as well:

Excellent – love these!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Great!  I hear either depending on expectation.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah… that’s properly mental.

molgrips
    Free Member

That McGurk effect…

Both my kids say f instead of th.  Trying to talk them through it, it turned out that they couldn’t really hear the difference.  Then we did some experimenting.  The sounds seem different in our own heads (maybe because of acoustics or maybe because we are making a different shape) but my wife and I were both differentiating the sounds based on recognition of the word and watching the speaker’s mouth.  Listening to the sounds only, with our eyes closed, we realised that the kids have a point and it was very difficult to tell the difference.

There’s a similar thing going on with written language and spelling.  In Welsh, the aspirate ‘th’ (as in three) and voiced ‘th’ (as in there) are different letters: th and dd respectively.  But when trying to explain this to an English person he was unable to appreciate there was a difference in the two sounds, because the fact that they were written the same in his first and only language had fixed the concept in his brain.  Even though he could pronounce both sounds at will.  Likewise, I knew a Finnish person called Ville.  Some people called him Ville and some Wille – so I asked him which was correct and he said ‘either – it’s the same sound’.  In Finnish apparently it’s a question of accent, as it is in England with words like ‘but’ being pronounced differently in the North and South.  They are different vowels but we perceive them as the same even though we can all hear the difference clearly.

glenh
    Free Member

The brains ability to interpret is so incredible, that we’re not even aware of how much work it’s doing.

When it comes to perception, the brain does nothing but interpret, usually extrapolating significantly from sparse information. When you realise this, these sort of demonstrations aren’t actually all that surprising.

They are still fun though 😀

kcr
    Free Member

Wikipedia has a good discussion of the McGurk effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGurk_effect

The core of it appears to be that speech perception depends on multiple inputs, not just what you hear, and when these inputs are in conflict, you experience the illusion. Unlike optical illusions, which people can usually see through once they understand them, it is apparently very difficult to overcome the McGurk effect, even when you know what is happening.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you can only hear the one word try looking at the other word in the description whilst the sound plays. Until I tried this I could only hear brainstorm but by looking at the different words I can get to hear brain storm, green needle, brain needle or green storm. it is pretty freaky.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Crazy brain interpretation’ is closed to new replies.