Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Crap work drug and alcohol policy
  • Sounds like standard management bullshit by somebody with too much time on their hands.

“We haven’t got a policy, so we’d better write a policy. But we can’t actually bothered to think it through properly”

Being drunk or stoned at work would be covered under normal efficiency or H&S rules, why do you need a separate policy document?

You could be really picky and ask if the non alcohol rule applied to stuff like bottles of perfume, meths etc.

scaled
    Free Member

This will be a common sense matter for managers to deal with, and they will be clearly able to differentiate between the two

Despite HR being a bit huffy about me not signing it, I emailed the SVP on site who agreed and is getting the policy rewritten, result 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

so what’s up with being stoned in work? 😆

spekkie
    Free Member

1) Sign it so as not to put yourself at the top of the next redundancy list.

2) Never, ever, trust anyone who says “it’s fine, we’ll never actually enforce it”

3) DO NOT be the mug who gets caught bringing alcohol into work.

DezB
    Free Member

^^ 2 posts up from mine, before you respond to the original post! It’s resolved.

We had a similar policy at my old place. One Christmas, our (idiot) manager, called us all down to the car park. Opened her boot (car boot) and handed out bottles of whiskey in the car park. Bloody stupid. I was on my bike that day, so couldn’t take it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

One place I was at, software office job, had a policy of no booze at lunch off site. Group of you going to a pub for during lunch break and you’re not allowed alcohol. Not even a half with a meal. WTF!

Daft thing is sometimes they’d go just to go to the pub and have a social drink, not a meal. What’s the point of that if you can’t drink?

Most places I’ve been, the boss invites everyone to the pub for lunch and is buying rounds!

I don’t agree at all with any policy or contract that states what you can and can’t do outside of the office. Aside from slagging off the company in public.

core

trail_rat – Member

Makes me laugh we have a similar policy – but it also goes on to state i cannot carry firearms in my vehicle on company business…..

I’ve bought a shotgun at lunch time and taken it around the rest of my visits for the day locked in the boot of the car before before I’ve gone home – perhaps I need to read my company policy in depth. I’ve often transported guns on work time as it happens, hmmmmm.

I used to work at a large site which had a strict rule about not bringing alcohol on site.

Didn’t mention brewing it though.

Northwind

It’s not the OP that’s causing trouble or being difficult is it? The company has admitted their policy is stupid. You don’t need to make a big scene or “cause trouble”, you’re just pointing out where the trouble already is- politely explain in writing that you’re not prepared to sign it as it stands for this specific reason, and explain the amendments that would make it acceptable to you, and then it’s their move again. You do need to be clear that you’ve got no issue with the sane parts of the policy, it’s only the bit that they claim they won’t enforce anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Crap work drug and alcohol policy’ is closed to new replies.