Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • Crap weather tomorrow – who's braving it?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Going to the gym instead.

Plus last weeks rain is disagreeing with my bottom bracket.

timidwheeler

40 miler round the Alps.

On BKOOL.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Grizedale for me.

rascal
    Free Member

Decision made.
    A walk over The Roaches in the Peaks.
    Nothing too strenuous and somewhere new…maybe a cheeky Sunday lunch out too…and found a willing accomplice. Now gotta pack on the shit I need 😯

Flaperon

Where was that photo taken, Pennine?

dannyh
    Free Member

danny – you’re going too early – I have to drop the wife off at the train station at 9 – plus generally I bit bored of the Charnwood mud. You do realise you’ll get mud on your new frame don’t you? Who else has signed up?

My brother in law is up for a muddy ride tomorrow and he’s roped in a bloke on his street as well who rides quite a lot, so should be good. Although we crap on a lot about the winter weather, you don’t actually ride in pissing rain all that often when you think about it. I’ll treat it as a novelty, it’ll be a laugh sliding around all over the place, and there’s always a hot shower and a bowl of soup at the end.

The rain should also keep the miserable bastards inside despite it being a Sunday morning.

crazy-legs

I’ve ridden my bike once this year. 🙁 A commute to/from work.
    Since New Year, it’s been a combination of me being ill, the weather being shit and other weekend commitments. I’m going insane from not riding!

Wanted to commute last week, I was ill and then it snowed and was really icy. Not been out today as it’s still icy.
    Tomorrow looks minging but I need to ride so I’m doing Gisburn with richpips and minipips. I figure that off road will be muddy and gritty but at least it won’t be icy or have insane drivers. And I can just jetwash the MTB on the way back. Got enough old kit that I don’t mind wrecking some of it just to get out on the bike for a bit.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What the heck happened to the Metcheck forecast overnight, or did I imagine a completely dry Southampton forecast? Now predicted to rainy until lunch, bugger! So it’s either do a ride in light rain before sunrise, which doesn’t help alleviate my SAD wooly feeling so much (main reason I’ve not cycle commuted in winter since my crash), or wait another ~8 hours. 😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not too bad at the moment – some tennis (outdoors) to fit in first. Hope it lasts.. Happy riding everyone

iainc

A damp soggy morning in south Lanarkshire. Local trails were snowy and icy yesterday and rain and rapid overnight thaw will have left them a mess. Roads salty and wet. Think I’ll take the kids for a swim….

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

was going to go ride this morning but cannot face the clean up… climbing later this afternoon…think I’ll just go make some pancakes now

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Take it back – its crap. Tennis off, watching Marr instead with nice hot coffee

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m on bike cleaning duties after a very very sloppy afternoon at Stile Cop yesterday.

The dog doesn’t even look enthusiastic about going outside!

soobalias
    Free Member

never one for an early start, todays ride was planned for 1300

road or mtb?

zero motivation.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Out the door at 5.30am, quick few hours then back home for bacon butties.

Clear trails and the bike washed itself. Great ride.

core

Going to have a gentle bimble over Hergest Ridge and surrounding, including a few bridleways with a mate about lunch time. Old ‘rough ride’ territory for anyone who did it in years gone by.

Did a quick 5 miles in Mortimer forest yesterday morning as we were all on a curfew. Nicely snowy on top, good dusting, loads of grip.

claudie

Raining hard here in Kent so thought I would try the rollers I bought 2 years ago and only used once. I’m normally good for a 3 hour road ride but was absolutely knackered after 25 minutes ( and I’ve discovered that rollers are scary things )…

iainc

A few laps of Cathkin with the kids – blew away the cobwebs 😀

rickmeister

Local Black Forest trundle, properly Blizzard like. The snow depth is a fair but greater than that snow blower.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RbYLZG]P1230525[/url] by Andrea, on Flickr

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Great picture.

Any chance you could send some snow our way?

hjghg5
    Free Member

Much better than I expected in Yorkshire, so I got out for 70k on the road bike. Wet roads but nothing more than light drizzle coming from the skies and at one point I even spotted blue sky.

dannyh
    Free Member

Had a filthy, nadgery, sloppy local ride with the wheels hardly ever pointing in the same direction or in the direction of travel. Brilliant fun, despite a lengthy clean up session post-ride.

Now watching the rugby with a pint. Roast lamb in the oven.

TiRed

Went out at 06:30 for 125km loop. Rained for four and a half hours. Mudguards are great. Mavic H20 jacket is absolutely waterproof. Sealskinz gloves with silk liners managed three hours. Velotoze and overshoes with merino socks about the same. Not eating before leaving, and not eating during the ride left me a little weary, but not bonked.

Then the Garmin crashed when I pushed stop back outside the house 🙁 . Manual upload just isn’t the same.

theotherjonv

the sort of weather my spingleseed excels at, and 5 mins max with the dirtworker has it shiny and new.

And even if the swinley slop was to kill my drivetrain, I can buy a whole new one for about £20. Ha! my £6 rustproof BMX chain laughs at your fancy chamfers, Mr Shimano XT.

downshift

Not quite as dreadful as forecast so a quick hour sliding around Greenham. Took nearly as long to clean the bikes afterwards but a victory over the weather.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Weather was not too bad here, did an easy 2hr social ride.
    Legs were getting tired by the end after 2hrs singlespeeding in the snow yesterday.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

For some reason Formby beach was quiet… 😆

Trimix
    Free Member

No rain in the FoD, the sun even came out for a bit.

grannyjone
    Free Member

In January last year I did a 75k mountain bike ride in similar conditions to today. Never again. Even with 3X mudguards.

MoreCashThanDash

Nice afternoon after about 2pm. By which time I’d settled in for an afternoon recovering from yesterdays ride. I did text round to see if anyone fancied going out for a ride but no one was willing to provide me with the moral backbone I so clearly lack.

carlos
    Free Member

Been out round Marple, Hayfield, Kinder and back today. It was proper wet, sloppy, misty and you could just hear your bike wearing with that amazing ‘it’ll ruin anything’ Dark Peak paste.

Rode back from The Shooting Cabins with just a front brake, I took the rear pads out as they were noisy and there was nowt on them. Decided it was best to just leave them out. Made descending into Rowarth and the Golf Course/ Strines Station fun at times

Still finished with a smile dispite being soaked through, caked in wet gritty paste and cold footed,

grannyjone
    Free Member

I hate washing the bike at this time of year. It requires the full 17 litres in a Mobi Jet Washer and takes 10 minutes, when all I want to do at the at point is get my shitty wet clothes changed, have something to eat and have a shower. I hate getting an energy bar out of my pocket when my gloves and clothes are covered in mud. I hate drinking from a flask or camelbak pipe thats covered in mud and my gloves are covered in mud. I really really hate it.

I hate having to lift a filthy shitty bike over a fence or gate.

I’m even turning down some of the off-road descents in favor of tarmac, if I know they’re going to be really shitty.

I’m disappointed with my 3X Mud Guards.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve not cleaned my bike since before Christmas 😳 just chuck in in the garage, knock enough off so the drivetrain turns and head out again. I know I’ll end up having to replace everything in hte drivetrain in spring but riding every other day I can’t face it!

Good ride here today though, mild, calm, even if hte trails are like a cx course with hub deep mud in places

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

^^^There’s a lot of hate going on up there^^^ 😆
    I must admit,after last Sundays quagmire I’ve no intention of going back to Rivi until the mud freezes or dries out..

Nipper99
    Free Member

No rain in S Wales in the end. 122k lumpy ride – quiet back roads and sustrans tracks/NCRs.

crazy-legs

Well Gisburn Forest was very very wet as expected but it was so wet that it more or less cleaned the bike – just that fine gritty spray. My rear brake seemed to be going towards the end of it though so once I find some motivation I’ll go and inspect it.

Great to get out though and even funnier watching minipips fall in the river crossing. (he was fine)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Brrr, bit chilly for falling in rivers at this time of year!

I’m with @ferrals, no danger i’m cleaning bike 4x a week so it stays dirty.

padkinson
    Free Member

Been through 4 sets of brake pads this weekend 😯 .
    The hub-deep ice puddles on the trails around Peaslake took the ones on the mountain bike right down the the backing,resulting in what is, in my opinion, the worst sound in the world. Gritty metal on metal. *shudder*
    Then a set of new Dura ace pads have nearly gone from the muddy lanes today. Orrible.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Bustaspoke

^^^There’s a lot of hate going on up there^^^
    I must admit,after last Sundays quagmire I’ve no intention of going back to Rivi until the mud freezes or dries out..

It was just one big river this morning, no mud just water.

kimbers

20 km round woburn today, some bits were fine, some bits were bad, especially where the big felling machines have been turning fireroads into 1 metre deep trenches of mud and filthy water, does make it hard going, .
    10 mins with the hose bike and kit fine, gravity dropper will need a clean out and regrease though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Crap weather tomorrow – who's braving it?’ is closed to new replies.