Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Crankset / BB help…
  • matt_outandabout

I’m on holiday. Of course my BB decides to die today.

I’m running a Marin logo’d OE 1x crankset with TAF-31 stamped. Inside of crank arm is webbed.

Bike came with Marin branded BB.

I’ve replaced with Shimano BB MT800, but had to re-use the Marin drive side spacer that sits on spindle – I’ve replaced the Shimano bearing cover/plastic spacer before with the Marin item. The non-drive side squeezes on the Shimano stock item.

Today though the weeny thin Marin BB spindle thing has come out in pieces (perhaps riding Bike Park Wales all day on duff BB wasn’t a great idea…). The spindle will now not push on or gently tap through the BB with the supplied Shimano spacer on.

I’ve limited toolkit (no big Yorkshire Screwdriver), it’s hot, I’m a beer or two down.

Help!

Do I just whack it harder? I’ve a large stone to hand…

matt_outandabout

Bodge time….
    Two wraps of electrical tape on the spindle and the remains of the Marin top-hat ‘brim’ installed as bearing cover.

FFS though, next time it goes I think I may need a new crankset, due to some 3p plastic part being non-standard in size.

joebristol

Is it worth taking to a bike shop for a look? They might instantly know the issue or have some spare plastic spaces lying around they could help you with for a small labour charge. Cheaper than a new crankset for sure!

I hate all the varying standards there are – I now have 3 different BB tools and 3 different bb standards across 3 bikes! Gxp (same bb tool as for hollowtech2 which I’ve previously had) / Dub / BB30a. Ffs!

I think the BB30a is pressfit too – so when that bb goes I either need to bodge it / buy a new set of tools / take it to a bike shop to replace.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Crankset / BB help…’ is closed to new replies.