Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • cranks for singlespeed build
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

Hi I am building up a new Singlespeed as soon as the on-one frames land and keeping in with the new green and silver colour scheme I want to swap my current raceface cranks for some silver ones. I was considering middleburn r7 or r8 with a hope bottom bracket. Can any body recommend any alternatives or running a similar system good or no good?
    Ta

wwaswas

R7 Uno with an SKF Isis BB?

The Crank Bros Isis BB's have a good warranty.

Or just go square taper and shimano BB.

Clembo
    Free Member

Middleburns square taper or isis only

I'm waiting for my cotic simple to be built up. Gone for RS7 uno isis with SKF BB. I've heard great reports about the SKF stuff and I hated sq taper 15 years ago so I ain't going back to it now!

tinsy
    Free Member

Get the ones you have polished?

clubber
    Free Member

I have a set of silver RF turbines that I'd consider swapping for your black(?) ones… Drop me an email if you're interested.

tinsy
    Free Member

OH and I ran some Campag Ultra Torque cranks as SS and 1×9.. looked lovely, worked great and a servicable external BB to boot..

sheldona
    Free Member

White Bros Eno cranks are about as silver as you can get!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Hijack – what's the best way to polish at home? I have some Middleburn RS7s and they're looking a bit dull/scraped/tired. Got a tube of Auto~something metal polish in the toolbox…

samuri
    Free Member

Eno cranks.

Crazy stiff. Shiny. Expensive. Pick all three.

tinsy
    Free Member

LEELOVESBIKES… solvol is great, if you got any deep scratches though use some 800 wet and dry, then some 1000, then some 1200 then some 1500, then the polish… You might get away with less steps.. 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

samurai, what are those lovely pedals? they out the box like that or have you painted up a set?

edit… wow they do 520's in white.. gotta get me a set.. nice cranks too.

clunker

Another Eno user here.

tommid
    Free Member

A set of old XTR M952's and a Jericho esque single ring (that I am having made potentially and will be cheaper if we have multiple buyers).

Just stripping the anodize off the cranks to give them a polish…

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Cheers tinsy, will get some paper. Sounds like a job for a driech autumn afternoon.

If you find some white 520s online could you post a link – they're just what I need for my blue/silver/white build. Pimpblinkintastic.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

liking the eno cranks alot!
    too much effort to polish the RF cranks if it is possible at all? RF evolve cranks?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I'm waiting for my cotic simple to be built up. Gone for RS7 uno isis with SKF BB. I've heard great reports about the SKF stuff and I hated sq taper 15 years ago so I ain't going back to it now!

You are going to be disappointed. Good though SKF are compared to the rest ISIS was always an inferior system to square taper IMO in terms of longevity. I used to go through an SKF BB every 11-12 months compared to the worst of the competition falling apart after only 8 weeks! I now have the Middleburn Uno with square taper which is plenty stiff enough and I am looking forward to years of trouble free riding *touches wood*.

tinsy
    Free Member

Lee, I just had a look CRC have them 520's in white, at £19…

Where I just had my frame powder coated also does polishing, I might find out how much for a set of cranks, he had done a whole motobike swinging arm and it looked lovely..
    Its doable by hand especially if they are already shiny and just need re finishing, but it took me ages to do an old Deore set including getting the anodizing off.

Clembo
    Free Member

You are going to be disappointed. Good though SKF are compared to the rest ISIS was always an inferior system to square taper IMO in terms of longevity. I used to go through an SKF BB every 11-12 months compared to the worst of the competition falling apart after only 8 weeks! I now have the Middleburn Uno with square taper which is plenty stiff enough and I am looking forward to years of trouble free riding *touches wood*.

We shall see Roter. The guys at the shop seemed confident that isis uno was the way to go and they have been ultra helpful and know their stuff so I'm happy to go with it. Must be better than the crappy raceface HT II BB i've used!

woodsman
    Free Member

If anyone has some 170 Eno's for sale, email in member profile -ta

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have Eno's, just not for sale

RoterStern
    Free Member

. Must be better than the crappy raceface HT II BB i've used!

Actually it was a RF ISIS BB that fell apart after 8 weeks.

saladdodger
    Free Member

LX ht11 with a Surley chainring

sorted

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘cranks for singlespeed build’ is closed to new replies.