Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cranks Borthers Cobalt wheels – thoughts?
  • DickBarton

I'm liking the look of the Crank Brothers Cobalt wheels but I've got a few thoughts on them, and was just wondering if anyone is using them? And what people thought of them – price aside, I think they are seriously expensive as well!

They are 19mm wide, how big a tyre can they run 'safely' i.e. how wide can it be before the threat of it rolling off the bead becomes a proper issue? I'm running 317's with Conti Vert Pro 2.3s just now and they seem very fine…but I've no idea how wide that rim is or the maximum tyre width it can take. Biggest I'd anticipate on running would be 2.3 – is this rim going to be fine with that?

I'm not a light rider – I'm not overly heavy but there is very little finesse…I hate admitting it but I'd be firmly in the XC brigade – I like riding up hills, across them and down them – but I'm no gravity junkie – are these wheels strong enough to withstand ham-fisted line choices and slightly heavy landings? (Landings being a drop from a few inches and not landed squarely or softly). The Iodines seem to be slightly wider and are marketed at the All Mountain thing – without the jumping and drops, I'd consider my riding to be more akin to All Mountain as it is over whatever is in front of me and I certainly don't race…

Just wondering on the wheels as I quite like them and would like an idea on what to go for. Cobalts will probably be fine but need to check…local bike shop isn't open yet so I can't phone and ask!

So any comments on them other than the price of them please?

Cheers.

Jason
    Free Member

I have had a set since summer last year (which seems a long time ago!) I am 85kg, and ride fairly smoothly, but like everyone I occasionally get things wrong and batter into things. I have used them for mainly xc flowing style trails, which do include drops and stuff. So far they have stayed very true, so pleased with them on the front.

I have only run 2.0 or 2.1 tyres on them, but I would imagine going to a 2.3 would be fine. I have run 2.3 Nooby Nics on Mavic Crosstrail rims, which are also 19mm wide with no problems.

The only issue I have had is the freehub body broke, that was replaced very quickly by 2pure, much better service than I have had trying to get hold of spares for Mavic wheels. I think the freehubs have now been upgraded to fix this problem. When I took the freehub off this was the first time I had looked at the inside of the wheels since they were new. The bearings had stayed pretty clean and were running smoothly.

Only downside I have found is the wheels are a bit of a magnet for sticks, I guess it is the big gaps between spokes.

DickBarton

Nice one, thanks…I'm about 77kgs so that isn't a big issue I don't think.

davidrussell
    Free Member

77kg? in your skivvies?

Weigh yourself in full riding clobber, that will put you to at least 82kg 🙂

2pure
    Free Member

Hi there,

The Cobalts are rated to run up to 2.3.

ran@2pure

DickBarton

11.5 stone (which I think works out at around 77Kgs)…in my birthday suit…skin shorts and top don't weigh that much so I suspect your 82kgs is a bit unrealistic! 😉

DickBarton

Morning 2Pure, thanks very much, that's as big as I'd be going anyway.

I'm assuming the Cobalts are plenty strong enough? (daft question as it needs quantified – I mean as I don't race is it strong enough for general riding around/up/down stuff that isn't smooth tarmac)

davidrussell
    Free Member

helmet, shoes, camelback? yu'd be surprised.

Thats my excuse anyway 🙂

2pure
    Free Member

Morning,

The Cobalts are very strong for their weight – bear in mind that Jill Kintner uses her Cobalt wheels to race 4x!

ran@2pure

DickBarton

Good enough for me…no idea who that person is but if someone who races them can use them, then I'm unlikely to have any issues.

Dave, aye, camelbak does add weight, if I'm really bored tonight I might weigh it all so I can get even more anally accurate with my weights! 😉

2pure
    Free Member

flyingfox
    Free Member

I thought I was wasting my time replying to your emails – I told you that they take up to 2.3s! Michael's still liking his Iodines….so far.

DickBarton

Aye, but you don't open until after half 8…I wasn't expecting a reply so early from you (via email, which I got after posting this up) so felt doing some more research outwith the shop who is selling me the kit, would be a smart move…just in case it was just sales chat I was getting! 😉

flyingfox
    Free Member

Sales chat?! I don't make any money anyway so all these attempts at sales are for the banter, nothing else. Plus you wanted them! I can only tell you what I have been told as I haven't ridden mine yet. Reserving judgement until then…! DT Swiss 1750s have been nice so far on our Pronghorns.

FuzzyWuzzy

I quite like the look of them but given they're not particularly light (compared with other wheelsets designed for the same intended use) and I imagine breaking a spoke would be a real hassle I just don't see the point personally. Looks alone isn't really enough to justify the cost IMO but I guess your opinion may differ 😉

2pure
    Free Member

Hi Fuzzy,

Why do you think breaking a spoke would be a real hassle?

ran@2pure

flyingfox
    Free Member

Fuzzy, go see them. Hubs are amazing (remember you pay a lot for King hubs) and they're incredibly light and, naturally, beautiful.

I need to ride them myself when I have time/money but from what I know from customers, they're fantastic and very stiff.

qcamel
    Free Member

I have been running a set since last summer and love them. I am currently running 2.1 mountain kings on them but over the summer/autumn ran 2.3's and had no issues. I also run Conti Supersonics as the wheels are pretty lite and find the lite wheels and tyres makes the bike feel snappy and quick.. 😀

I weigh 90kg and ride cross country and a fair amount of trail centre work. Have never bent or damaged a rim/wheel. My only issue has been the freehub problem that is fairly well known and I believe now solved. I also has great service and wheel was returned under warranty in 3 days..

Buy them, you will not regret it….

br
    Free Member

Can you buy new spokes easily?

And bearings?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Spoke replacement cost/availability would be my concern aswell. 2Pure; what do you sell replacements for and how available are they?

br
    Free Member

TBH is was less about cost, and could 'a' bike shop supply them, more could my LBS (or would the average LBS have them in stock)?

Bearings I'm prepared to wait (a couple of days anyway) for.

2pure
    Free Member

we would supply bearings and spokes to anyone after them – be that a dealer or consumer and usually very quickly.

I am not really sure why everyone is so worried about spokes, they are super simple to replace (you don't even need to remove your tyres!), we have stock available here in the UK, and as the nipple is so long the whole set up is stronger and less prone to damage than a regular spoke/nipple combo.

ran@2pure

mangoridebike

I guess the concern is based on the fact that it is different, therefore people are unfamiliar with it and are uncertain about what to do when things go wrong.

The only way to approach this is to be quick and consistent in your response times with replacements. Which you appear to be. If I could afford a set of Iodines I would buy them based on the experiences of people on this thread.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

2pure. people worry because many boutique wheel brands *cough*Mavic*cough* charge an arm and a leg for replacement spokes and stock can be an issue unless you agree to buy loads of them. For example I've been waiting since before Xmas for 3 replacement spokes for a Shimano Alfine factory wheel. They won't be expensive when they get here (like 5 euros each which is nuts for a steel spoke but at the end of the day not a fortune) but the wait is completely ridiculous. That you keep stock is already half the solution then.

I don't see the spokes listed on your site. What's the retail on a (pair I guess they come in pairs?) of replacements?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I broke a spoke for the first time in a whole year of use just last week. I emailed 2pure at about 10:30 on the Monday morning, and by 10:30 on Tuesday morning there were 3 spokes delivered. 5 minutes later the wheel was as good as new (like ran said, no need to even take the wheel out the frame as the nipple is in the middle and the spokes thread into the side of the rim)
    As for bearings, a year and a lot of riding and they're still going strong.

Couldnt recommend the wheels or 2pure enough.

Rickos
    Free Member

If you're on 317's at the moment then the Cobalts will be stronger. The 17 in the Mavic rim signifies it's 17mm wide internally, so your current tyres will be fine (assuming the 19mm of the Cobalts is an internal measurement).

2pure
    Free Member

Hello,

We don't have them listed on our site as we are working on a spares site to sell small parts direct to the consumer. The price for 1x nipple and 1x spoke is currently £1.

ran@2pure

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

The price for 1x nipple and 1x spoke is currently £1.

I LIKE that

knott4me
    Free Member

i have had my iodines since june 09 on my am bike.
    they get clattered at stainburn & have ni issues with breaking a spoke as this is yet to happen & 2 pure imo have the best after sales around.

ie i needed some spacers for my wheels for the cassette .they were sent foc the next day .ya pays ya money you get this sort of service.

like most things mtb related they are very expensive but im only here once & i earn good money to blow on these sort of things

mollyiom
    Free Member

@ 2pure guy, i have just had my cobolts returned after the free hub broke, am i right in thinking the new freehub fitted will sort out any further problems?
    Oh and whats up with your web site?

sorry for thread hijack, carry on 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cranks Borthers Cobalt wheels – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.