Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cranks – 175mm or 170mm on a race hardtail
  • Alek
    Free Member

What would be the benefit (if any) using a shorter crank on a race hardtail?

Looking at new cranks for my Soda.

Are XTR worth the extra cash? (currently running 175mm Raceface Deus/Acros ceramic BB)
    keeping the BB BTW as its superb

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Why would there be any benefit?

Shorter people sometimes like shorter cranks. Not like you're going to need extra ground clearance in an xc race is it really?

Its a personal preference thing most the time

Alek
    Free Member

Was on a web-site for roadies (yes I'm a darksider too) and there was a chart for your inside leg/preferred crank length.

So got me thinking there might be a similar set-up for MTB's.

Obviously not. So i'll stick with 175's.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the crank size thing does apply to mtb but less so tbh …

if you are changing anyway then its worth getting the correct size cranks for your leg length – if you email me ill forward you the email that someone sent me with a pretty good fit calc in it – i used it on my bikes – some comfy and some not so …. the comfy ones matched the fit calc pretty much spot on – the uncomfy ones now fit the fit calc and are comfy …..

avdave2

Highpath engineering have a calculator on their websitehere

Supposedly more accurate than one based on inside leg measurement.

trail_rat
    Free Member

"Supposedly more accurate than one based on inside leg measurement. "

"However some '10 speed' cranks place their chainrings slightly closer together, but this isn't critical."

yet they put stuff like that on their website ….

from first hand experiance – if you stick a shimano ultegra 10 speed set up on a 9 speed ultegra chainset – the chain will on its way from outer to inner ring stick between the two rings ..

avdave2

[from first hand experiance – if you stick a shimano ultegra 10 speed set up on a 9 speed ultegra chainset – the chain will on its way from outer to inner ring stick between the two rings]

So you didn't know any better either then trail_rat 🙂

I did say supposedly. Anyway I'd agree that it is much less critical on an mtb where your moving around on the bike a lot but I have felt a benefit of moving to 165mm cranks when riding on long road sections.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah was a convert customer who had bought a custom bike else where coming to us to solve a long standing problem he had….. ground down the tabs to make the rings sit just over a mm closer and it solved the problem – que happy clappy customer !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cranks – 175mm or 170mm on a race hardtail’ is closed to new replies.