Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Cranked Magazine
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

No matter how fast or how far you can pedal

Not relevant now there are e-bikes?

sebcranked

What they don’t have is a forum as good as this one used to be

Nope. Not going there. We just do print 🙂

snapperdan
    Free Member

As I said on the thread on the story itself, the notion of a journalist’s having to be a pro level rider to justify being allowed to review a bike is laughable.

Jumping is a basic skill. I never mentioned pro level riders just basic bike handling skills.

The way you’ve extrapolated my point to Sam Hill and Loic Bruni is laughable – well it made me laugh!

That use of the possessive apostrophe is very clunky even if it is technically correct – 4/10 must try harder.

geex
    Free Member

That wasn’t a quick question dazh.
    quick answer is:
    Proficiently

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nope. Not going there. We just do print

Now you are making Mark envious😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

Whilst I suspect this thread was started as a bit of a dig at Singletrack mag I subscribe to both Singletrack and Cranked, look forward to receiving both and see them as quite different mags.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Jumping is a basic skill. I never mentioned pro level riders just basic bike handling skills.

The way you’ve extrapolated my point to Sam Hill and Loic Bruni is laughable – well it made me laugh!

That use of the possessive apostrophe is very clunky even if it is technically correct – 4/10 must try harder.

Well, using the possessive with gerunds features in the writing of almost all of the great writers of the Twentieth Century. But, then, what do they know, in comparison with your towering intellect?

Have you not flounced yet? Or is this an encore?

JP

timbog160

I’ve just bought my first issue, no 15. I like it and might buy it again, but it won’t replace my singletrack sub.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Two different mags. I’ve never bothered with ST but I’m not the target market. Likewise Shredder, totally different again but similar ethos to Cranked, shows there is plenty of room in the world for quality print though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Flounce

kayla1
    Free Member

Shredder’s good too. So was Sender but it’s dead now.

biff

I like Cranked.

benp1

It’s quite a lot for 4 magazines, are they jammed full of content? (i.e. same as 12 mags but in 4)

qtip

It is quite a lot for 4 magazines, but they are high quality print magazines. A lot of the content is photography, but it’s great photography that inspires me to ride. The rest of the content is generally well written articles that appeal to a broad range of riders. I think an appreciation of all aspects of mountain biking is required to really get your money’s worth from the magazine. The fairly minimal amount of advertising is refreshing, and the lack of bike reviews means that the articles stay current and you can go back to them months/years later and the majority are just as applicable as when they were written.

ajantom

Does anyone actually read bike mags for the reviews anyway?
    It’s so subjective, that all you need to really know is if it fell apart during normal use!

I like ST for the nice photos and pieces like the courier bag article in the last issue.

The only reason I had an MBUK sub for a while was the free buffs and socks 😋

sebcranked

It’s quite a lot for 4 magazines, are they jammed full of content? (i.e. same as 12 mags but in 4)

You won’t get 12 mags (worth reading) for £40 😀

But also:

– around 30,000 words in each issue. That’s half a short book
    – minimum of 110 editorial pages per issue
    – max 15% of pages given over to ads

The cover price is more than other mags but we’re aware we have to provide good value.

mactheknife

The 2 magazines I subscribe to are both expensive but well worth in terms of content. Sidetracked and Cranked. Who needs monthly mags full of the same stuff. I’m very happy with printed quarterlies with great photography and stories.

snapperdan
    Free Member

Eddiebaby – that’s a magnificent flounce. With memes that good I’ll probably hang around – they’ve got my £35 for the year anyway…

Backed to Cranked etc. The thing I like most about STW is the photography – the last two premier edition covers have been amazing. Sounds like Cranked take photography seriously too.

I’m definitely going to pop to WH Smith’s in the Arndale to grab a copy.

I think bike reviews are for places like YouTube not printed magazines. Videos are a much better way of judging a review in context IMO.

Guy Kesteven’s YouTube is brilliant – sounds like he’s left the world of print behind.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Meaningless theatrical flounce.

Again.

Its like those people who post on facebook / insta / twitter etc to tell everyone that they are no longer going to be posting on facebook / insta / twitter etc.

nedrapier

biff

I like Cranked.

I would hope you do!

sepultura
    Free Member

The mag (ST) has almost zero interesting content now, so just isn’t worth buying. A real shame, as I used to enjoy it.

Did I read circulation was ~6000. Amazed it has continued as long as it has.

Alex

I subscribe to both. I write a column for Cranked and that’s the only article I don’t read! Like the depth, presentation and photography in Cranked. Always end up reading it all, whereas I tend to browse ST.

They are very different publications IMO. If you’ve not read cranked, give it a go, it’s about the cost of a pint and a bag of crisps if you’re in London!

finbar
    Free Member

As I said on the thread on the story itself, the notion of a journalist’s having to be a pro level rider to justify being allowed to review a bike is laughable.

I do miss Marcel Wurst’s bike reviews in Pro Cycling mag…

bootsy

Cranked is truly great. Get a copy and absorb the quality, you won’t regret it!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Cranked Magazine’ is closed to new replies.