Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Crank issues, bb stds arggfhhh help
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

So i have a kinesis sync ht frame that has a pf30 bb shell that is 73mm

I wanted to reuse a chainset that is ht2 with a 24mm spindle

I tried getting two cheap pf30 to ht2 thread converters and fitting the old ht2 bb and chainset

After a couple of rides the bb converter worked out of the frame, loosened the crank arm and popped off and lost the plastic preload bolt.

I found a thread that mentions crank loosening being caused by not enough clamp surface on the spindle… caused by the 73mm bb only needing 1x 5mm spacer drive side.

So i went and spent £60 on a wheels manufacturing pf30 to ht2 bb as it would thread together and hopefully hold.

My question is, will the spindle have enough clamp area as the wheels manufacuturing bb has given me more clamp area on the spindle but there is still 5mmish of space of threaded crank arm clear of the spindle?

Anyone else running ht2 cranks in a 73mm pf30 bb, and if so what did u use?

jamesoz

Me, I’m using a SRAM adapter with a hope threaded bottom bracket and SLX Cranks.
    One cup did move in the frame once, possibly because I greased the cups before fitting or wrong number of spacers (can’t remember).
    I stripped and degreased, reassembled and it’s been fine ever since.
    It’s an Onza jackpot.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s not a road crank is it? That would explain the 5mm gap and if they are road they’re too short for a 73mm bb.

Mountain cranks have a longer spindle to allow use with a 73mm bb and should be OK but 5mm sounds a lot of a gap given engagement is normally only about 12mm. Check you’ve not got additional spacers or something to remove.

Also bearer of bad news…

loosened the crank arm and popped off and lost the plastic preload bolt.

In my experience once this has happened it will only happen again as the spindle interface gets damaged.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Crank issues, bb stds arggfhhh help’ is closed to new replies.