Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Crank Brothers Headsets
  • messiah
    Free Member

Whats the experience been like?

I see they have a five year warranty, but does this mean five years plus trouble free like my FSA Orbit Extreme, or five years of free replacements like my Cane Creek?

heihei

I've got two and found them to perform like you'd expect a headset to, but with a couple of observations…
    – v low stack – can be good or bad, but was a reason for me using them on a particular bike
    – difficult to fit – for some reason seem to be toughter to get home than a CK etc, even with a proper headset press
    – some of the exposed surfaces have rusted a bit – not something you'd expect from a premium piece of kit

Buzzard
    Free Member

I havent been impressed with my Cobalt xc one. I struggled to fit it and after I had, I found that the small lip of metal running around the bottom bearing housing had started to crack. This is apparently a common problem with fitting (that is partly user error I imagine) but with premium kit I would expect more. The experience amongst the group I ride with is that the crankbrothers stuff looks amazing but its over complicated and prone to failure. King is the only way to go if premium or FSA have always been good to me

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    argyle
    Free Member

partly user error I imagine

you fit something wrong, wreck it in the process and then complain?

I love my opium headset, mostly due to the super low stack and neat looks. just needs a bit of care when fitting.

Buzzard – did you contact 2pure after you had these problems to see if they could help out at all?

nuke

I've a Cobalt headset bought specifically for the low stack height…it went on alright, it does the job so far but whether it'll do it for 5 years, well I'm not too confident. As heihei said, also noticed rust on the surface which I was surprised to see

Buzzard
    Free Member

argyle – not to be misunderstood. My point was that I can accept that when fitting I didnt understand the fragility of the lip in question. I did however fit the headset according to the prescribed instructions and still found the cracking. If you search on MTBR you will find that this issue has been raised on a number of occasions by other users too – so in my book it makes it a design flaw (I'm not complaining per se but only voicing my opinion on the product). So far the cracking has not effected performance but it does leave the bearings exposed somewhat as the seal doesnt fit nicely into the recess any longer. My email to 2Pure went unanswered.

parkesie
    Free Member

ive got one om my decade went in no problems using a screw press. Low stack hight. Lets my forks spin. No reliability issues to repeort.
    And it looks nice in a subtle way.

LordOnOne
    Free Member

I ran a Cobalt C on my Swift through a lot of last year. It isn't the easiest to install, the bearings are poorly sealed and easily squeezed, the headset had play that couldn't be sorted out through conventional means and the outside of the cups rusted. The instructions state a 2 year warranty, contrary to the 5 year warranty stated on the box and website. Replaced with a Hope.

psychle
    Free Member

LBS fitted one for me, they also mentioned that they managed to crack one of the cups… replaced straight away by 2pure though, apparently you need to exercise a lot of care when fitting these, not one for the homemade press perhaps?

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Lightweight, but goes rusty as others have said .. bearings are non-replaceable so it'd be a case of removing the whole headset for potential warranty replacements .. load o' hassle methinks

pinches
    Free Member

Made on behalf of Crank Bros by Cane Creek. Might explain a few things….

LimboJimbo

Had a Cobalt C on my Rush and was pretty unimpressed given the price. It wasn't especially well sealed and I too had the rusting issue. Seems like the way to go with headsets is either 'cheap and often' or Chris King. I went CK and so far so good.

epicyclo

No more Crank Bros stuff for me. Looks pretty but I've been disappointed too often.

messiah
    Free Member

Excellent information folks… cheers!

trickydisco
    Free Member

rollox.. i've just bought a cobalt C for my new build

epicyclo

The BB seems ok though.

bommer
    Free Member

pinches – Member

cane creek own the Aheadset patent…I'm guessing CB get a bit of a discount by putting the cane creek name on the thing

2pure
    Free Member

My email to 2Pure went unanswered.

Hi Buzzard, can I ask who you emailed? It is odd that an email went unanswered, please try again on info@2pure.co.uk.

Please accept my apologies for this and hopefully we can sort out any problems you have.

Regards
    ran

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Still never had a problem with a Hope headset, and after a brief foray into CKs, they're again the only headset I use.

Joxster
    Free Member

I replaced my CK headset with a CB because of the low stack and I've not had any problems with it, it's been in for about 4-5yrs. But then I look after my bikes and keep them clean so no rusting issues or gummy bearings,

LordOnOne
    Free Member

So the CB headset has been in for about 4-5yrs? It has only been available for a maximum of 2-2.5yrs.

pinches
    Free Member

bommer – Member

pinches – Member

cane creek own the Aheadset patent…I'm guessing CB get a bit of a discount by putting the cane creek name on the thing

apart from it actually says on the box of the crank bros headsets that they're manufactured under license of crank bros by cane creek.

heihei

As a follow on from my earlier post, I removed mine from my bike yesterday and was v unimpressed. Surfaces heavily rusted, bearing seal popped out, was as difficult to uninstall as it was to install, and the pinch collar had corroded so was difficult to get out. Won't be buying another one thats for sure.

2pure
    Free Member

Hi heihei,

If you are having problems with your directset please just get in touch and we'll see if we can help you out. Seems odd if it has corroded in that short space of time.

info@2pure.co.uk

Thanks
    ran

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Crank Brothers Headsets’ is closed to new replies.