• This topic has 28 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by td66.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Crank Bros headsets, anygood?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Just asking (after I pressed ‘BUY’) but they seem cheap at £22 at CRC.
    Need something for a cheap MTB I’m building, When I say cheap the £22 is all it’s cost so far.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Not really.

Hope are better, but if it’s cheep enough….

tazzymtb

erm, don’t know about others experiences but mine was awful, the seals were rubbish and the bearings died in record time. Shame as it was expensive and fulfilled my weight weenie ways

dallas95
    Free Member

I have one and it’s ok. Low stack height is why I got it but it’s smooth enough at the moment and worth the £22.

ngeddie
    Free Member

Got a Crank Bro Cobalt XC SL from CC last month 60% off, quality very good and comes with seal for bottom race to keep crud out, was well tight to get into frame (Kona hei hei supreme). Ridden twice and very smooth but only time will tell if the peak dist will destroy it. Packed it well with grease, never power wash and use head race lizard skin so hoping it will be great value. Stack height very low and they do look great

nuke

From experience, only buy if you absolutely need the lowest stack headset available…if you don’t, go buy an FSA XLII.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nope….

Mackem

Mine’s lasted about 4 years in all sorts of shite weather, so ok from me.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

No, a mate has had no end of trouble with his. Look great but crap design/materials, on plus side importers sound like they’re great to deal with.

Would just buy an FSA, or Cane Creek etc…

eshershore
    Free Member

f*cking terrible, just like their pedals and dropper seatposts

don’t bother…..

TheDoctor
    Free Member

It’s crank bros, so like all their other stuff it will be pretty but poorly made rubbish and will most likely break as you take it out of the packaging.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

king.

nonk
    Free Member

gash put probably ok for what you paid,

oldgit
    Free Member

King, the whole bike will cost less than a King….seriously. Looking to get a complete racing hardtail for £70 tops, as befitting an oldgit.
    £22 so far.
    Dirty Jo frame £0.00
    Alex lo-spokes with Speed King Supersonics £0.00
    SIDs £0.00
    XT full set second generation £0.00
    Shimano hydros £0.00
    Easton EC70 seatpost £0.00
    Need wide flats, saddle, Eggbeater re-build kit and jockey wheels.

andymac
    Free Member

Fairly iffy quality but workable if you need to reduce stack height. But only buy if you need to reduce stack height!

Del

i expect it’ll come beautifully presented in a lovely box though. 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Well I would have been seriously pee’d off if I had paid full price for that.
    Not impressed, and I haven’t used it yet.

druidh
    Free Member

Apparently, they are absolute rubbish. Just don’t tell the one I have on my wee Ti hardtail which seems to be coping just fine with UK conditions.

oldgit – Member
    Well I would have been seriously pee’d off if I had paid full price for that.
    Not impressed, and I haven’t used it yet.

It’s a headset, what were you expecting?

atlaz
    Free Member

Sam @ Singular told me the biggest problem with them was fitting the cups and he;d seen a few knackered head tubes because of them. I went for hope. Then buggered that one up anyway.

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s a headset, what were you expecting?

Topless dancing girls . or at least something that didn’t look like it came off a £99 Tesco special.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Make sure you keep the receipt!

buttercup
    Free Member

You just bought yourself a certified POS. Unless it is the SS version.
    Had mine on for 2 weeks before it started rusting like mad. I even rubbed it with that special cloth and kept it very dry.
    Super awesome low profile though.
    If only somebody else made them. 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

had one for two years, one for a few months. neither have rusted despite living in a damp garage and they’re both smooth.

we’ll see I guess but I bought them for 35 and 22 quid respectively so I’m happy enough.

craig1975
    Free Member

been running one for 2 year, once i washed out the shit grease and replaced it with a good marine grease, it has never missed a beat

pitduck
    Free Member

ive had one on my turner for about 5 months and im not dead yet 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have one, long head tube and short steerer required it.
    Went for non-stainless version, paint chipped off and it went rusty.
    Also, bearings on the lower race went really grindy, despite greasing them. But 2Pure sent me 2 replacement races on warranty. They’ve also sent me spare crown race inserts for free in the past. Top service.

So, get the stainless version and keep it greased. Because they’re not standard cartridge bearings, they’re not fit-and-forget.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Can’t comment on how good they are but being crank brothers I’d imagine that it comes in a lovely box. 😆

flange
    Free Member

I can’t believe this company is still going….

td66
    Free Member

2years of neglect on my Cove and still perfectly smooth, was discounted when I got it and it came with a 5year warranty. What’s not to like.

Do be careful when installing it though as it’s bit fiddly and getting the headset press to push on the correct part of the headset can be tricky.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros headsets, anygood?’ is closed to new replies.