Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Crank Bros Candys – broke or fixable?
  • Spud

Left pedal platform pulled off the spindle today. Can it be fixed or are they stuffed?

Not interested in the reliability guff, they suit my knees.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That happened to me with my Mallets.

I replaced the pedals (was mid ride), but upon further inspection the issue was remedied with a new bearing kit and replacement of the axle nut. The axle and pedal body was okay.

Crank Bros pedals aren't the most reliable, but there is little to go wrong so it's either going to be a new bearing kit or axle.

Spud

Ta, I'll have a look tomorrow. They're not cheap these days.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

On a positive note, 2pure's customer service is excellent. Try contacting them, they'll probably sort you out. – info@2pure.co.uk

Spud

It is indeed. But they're getting on, so I wouldn't want to take advantage.

Is the nut and inner race of the bearing still on the spincle ?

If so, you just need a bearing kit.

Swello
    Free Member

Happened to me recently as well – rebuild took 15 mins and they're good as new.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Yup, happens fairly frequently, (still my pedals of choice when I want to be attached to the bike), all you need is the bearing kit. Last time I bought one they were a few quid over a tenner. Get two and take one in ride tool kit would be my advice.

Spud

Cheers all, will investigate at the weekend.

IdleJon

But on the other hand, this problem has been happening frequently with CB pedals for a long time now. It must be 3 or 4 years since my Eggbeaters broke in the same way as I was crossing a large, busy main road junction. (I've said in a previous thread that the group I was riding with at the time had about 5 or 6 pairs fall apart)

Personally I think that it's about time they either rectified it or withdrew the pedals for being dangerous. Having your pedal body pull away from the spindle isn't something you want to happen on any bike, never mind a MTB. Add in the fact that CB pedals are expensive, and that they actually charge you for the service kit as well…….well, it's just laughable really.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Candys – broke or fixable?’ is closed to new replies.