• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Crank Bros Candy 2 – Discuss
  • cste
    Free Member

Thinking of moving away from flats for mostly xc riding. Any thoughts out there on the candy 2 pedals? Or should i look at shimano at a similar price?

Thanks in advance.

crikey
    Free Member

Shimano are notorious for lasting for years with no maintenance, I’ve not used CBs, so can’t comment on them.

zippykona

My knees love Crank pedals. Brilliant in the mud. They will need a service unlike shimano that last forever. New bearings are a 5 minute job at worst to fit.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I run Candy 2 or 3 on the xc mountain bike and commuter, they’re easy to maintain, I’m pretty sure they come with a 5 year warranty. They’re not without their faults but I really like the way they feel and work across a range of disciplines.

scotroutes

Candy 2s & 3s are my standard pedals. Great for touring and XC.

ratherbeintobago

I’m pretty sure they come with a 5 year warranty.

The cheapest ones (Candy 1s?) don’t, but IIRC above that they do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They’re not without their faults but I really like the way they feel and work across a range of disciplines.

This

The feel of the clipping is great, the construction is great, the float is great, the weight is very good. The bearings will fail but can be replaced. Not hever had the pedal coming off axle fault that people go on about and not heard of any on the new stuff.

All my last gen CB stuff is still on my bikes, the shimano stuff I had is in landfill.

Worth at least getting the 2’s but the 3’s if you can stretch to it are great.

FWIW this guy can get anything shimano make an have his name on it and he uses Mallets 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

newer CBs have two sets of bearings, unlike th eold ones that had bushings and bearings, and so needed more maintenance.

I have Look 4x4s, which also have two sets of bearings.

Other option is time atacs, similar engagement/float so as good for your knees and mud clearance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

newer CBs have two sets of bearings, unlike th eold ones that had bushings and bearings, and so needed more maintenance.

The 1&2 level pedals have the bush and bearing still, the 3’s have bearing & needle rollar bearings.
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_candy3.php

LMT
    Free Member

Currently run a pair about 8 years old on my mtb, a pair of the old 1’s never needed any servicing or anything just keep them clean.

I find them better than shimnano as no parts that can come off, unlike my spd’s which i lost the tension screw a few times. Recently picked up a newer pair of the 1 for my road bike so far just as good as the older pair.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Candy 2 – Discuss’ is closed to new replies.