Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cramps in the foot arch at night
  • wicki
    Free Member

Does any one else get cramps in thier feet at night I wake up in agony with foot cramp and some times in the claf muscles as well but not both together,and latley I have felt like I may get one in the thigh muscle, Its much worse now its cold.

I was wondering if its maybe cycling related ….Oh and I have poor circulation in the legs and have no long saphenous viens due to surgery.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Thought that title was a gig recommendation

ampthill

Stretch your calves

As above Plantar Facsiitis

For me the key is calf stretches. Tight claves lead to can lead to a gait error. Your knee goes inside its normal track. This then crushes out the arch.

wicki
    Free Member

Hmmmm its not a constant pain and it only happens lying in bed a suden clench like spasm of intense pain the foot arch seams to tighten for 30/secs to a minute then its over it definetly seams cold related.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My feet ‘lock down’ of a night, they lock into a downward pointing position and it usually takes me the distance to the bathroom before they loosen up again. I have Charco-Marie-Tooth Syndrome so it’s probably a function of that condition, so I’m not much help!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have to have a hot water bottle practically all year round to avoid cramp in my feet when I go to bed. But then I get cramp in all sorts of weird muscles, I can cope with feet and calves, but the worst is the inner thigh one, that’s absolute agony! I’m not so keen in the one in the front of my neck when I yawn either…

spw3

@wicki: some inhalers can cause this

CountZero

Hmmmm its not a constant pain and it only happens lying in bed a suden clench like spasm of intense pain the foot arch seams to tighten for 30/secs to a minute then its over it definetly seams cold related.

This, although for me it happens rarely, and there seems to be no underlying cause, other than stretching out my legs, and pointing my foot will bring it on, but only occasionally.
    Bloody painful, I have to push my fut against something, applying pressure against the ball of the foot, otherwise it keeps trying to curl under.
    Goes after a few minutes.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yeah – it is a nightmare. Usually in bed and asleep/drifting off and I stretch… instant pain of doom!

scaredypants

I’ve had it periodically all my life – definitely cramp, not PF IMO

Nothing much helps as far as I can tell (it’s too intermittent to spot a pattern but electrolytes/vits/stretches/quinine haven’t obviously done anything)

ampthill

OK maybe I’m wrong. Sounds like cramp then….

wicki
    Free Member

Ok well I am not alone so thats a relief.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’d get cramp in my feet and calves when I didn’t eat enough bananas (potassium?)

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’ve been getting this for 6 months or so, steadily getting worse. Determined to knock it on the head, so yesterday started a new regime. Stretches 3 times a day, morning, noon, and night. Going to do that for a few days then add in some strength exercises. Anyone know what (zero equipment) exercises best targets lower leg strength?

wicki
    Free Member

I have been off the bike for a week and no cramps so I think it is cycling aggravated, Like you UrbanHiker I think the answer is stretching but I have not found which ones to do yet.

bigdaddy

I’m not so keen in the one in the front of my neck when I yawn either…

Ha – I get that and hate it, the after effects linger too, it’s horrible…

chrisa87
    Free Member

Anyone know what (zero equipment) exercises best targets lower leg strength?

Calf raises are the obvious ones to me (I have to do a fair few myself). 3 sets of 10 double leg raises. When they’re stronger/or its too easy, move onto single raises and then look at raises whilst stood on the edge of a step

cyclingmev
    Free Member

Agree with banana theory (but could be old wives tale)…are you getting enough salts?I used to get horrendous foot cramps after bare footing on our tiled kitchen floor…socks have helped!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cramps in the foot arch at night’ is closed to new replies.