Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Crampons
  • rascal
    Free Member

I know this will only appeal to a tiny minority of you, but those who do winter walking, what crampons do you use?
    Tried some of these on yesterday…

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge-snowline-crampon-p193163

…about to pull the trigger and get some. Only this price til end of today.
    They are exactly the same as the Grivel Monte Rosa, and made by Grivel too.

Any reason why I shouldn’t buy them?

Spin
    Free Member

Do they fit your boots? If so then I can’t see any issues as a winter walking crampon.

druidh
    Free Member

A fairly standard design. If you’re happy they fit with your boots and you aware of the limitations of that type of boot/cramping then go for it.

I have set of Black Diamond crampons that look very similar ans they do me 90% of the time.

rascal
    Free Member

Yep.

Not used them before but took my Charmoz boots to G.O. and the guy was advising me on the merits etc of various crampons, and these sound ideal for not-too-techy winter jaunts in the Lakes/N Wales – they are more walking as opposed to full-on mountaineering/climbing.
    I now need an axe too – bugger. Let’s see what Santa brings 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

No reason at all not to buy them… I use grivel G20 on sportiva trango extreme evo. But they’ll be fine for a B2 boot.

matt_outandabout

I have a pair of ’90s Camp crampons that look just like them – and another 12 pairs at work. They work well, but are walking crampons and as above always need some bending and persuading onto different boots to get a really good fit. As above, good for the use intended, not for front pointing up steep ice…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Assuming your boots only have a small flex and sturdy uppers to bear the strapping without hurting they will be fine for winter hill walks. They are a bit sketchy when on the front points as it tend to lever them off the boot. And learn to walk like John Wayne or you snag your trousers trip and tumble off the mountain which is when the axe comes in handy.

athgray
    Free Member

I use Grivel G12’s. I prefer crampons with a heel bail but they should be fine for walking if they fit your boot and your boot is fairly rigid.

boblo
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be taking any advice from a Herbert that works in Go Outdoors same as I wouldn’t take advice on fine dining from someone working in MaccyD’s 🙂

Those Charmoz’s will take a crampon with the heel bale (specifically one with the nylon toe cup & a heel bale) if you prefer. Mate has a pair and no embarrassing separations…yet. I have the Trango Alp’s/G10’s for general waddling about and they are also a good combo.

molgrips
    Free Member

What about a knowledgeable person who works in Go Outdoors?

Or are you saying that everyone who works in Go Outdoors is rubbish?

rascal
    Free Member

To be fair, the G.O dude only confirmed what I’d read elsewhere so as far as I’m concerned he DID know his stuff. The Grivel Monte Rosa’s have really good reviews and these are the same and cheaper – so it’s a win win situation from where I’m looking.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Those will be good for winter walking and including grade 1 routes ie Striding Edge etc also low grade alpine touring. I’d def recommend getting some anti-balling plates with them, if you can.

I have Black Diamond something or other 12 point crampons

boblo
    Free Member

I think we both know what I’m saying Moly, it dunt need spelling out any more does it?

If I wanted advice on outdoor gear, I’d rather take advice from someone working at Joe Brown’s in Capel than Go Outdoors in Norwich (or where ever). It’s an outdoor supermarket, nothing else.

boblo
    Free Member

In the 80’s when that’s all you could get (or Footfangs…), people were climbing hard routes in those so nothing wrong with them. Your mates will love you though standing around whilst you strap yourself in…. For me, that’s the main advantage clip ons have over strap on; the faff factor.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Your mates will love you though standing around whilst you strap yourself in…. For me, that’s the main advantage clip ons have over strap on,; the faff factor.

Those ones will be pretty straightforward to put on. I think you’re getting them mixed up with the full strap on ones of old, they were a nightmare, especially with gloved or cold hands.

boblo
    Free Member

Indeed (on both counts 🙂 )

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes I have old full strap jobbies and they are a pig

Can one make an anti ball system with and old tyre or inner tube?

tartanscarf

For something that is potentially going to save my life I’d personally prefer to spend a few quid more and get a decent branded pair rather than those. They wouldn’t seem such a bargain as you’re slipping down some icy slope!

TS

druidh
    Free Member

[quote]The North Ridge Snowline Crampon, forged in Italy by Grivel, is a C1 rated 10 point walking crampon with the easy-to-use Grivel New Classic Binding system.[/quote]

P20

I’ve recently looked at crampons having used a borrowed set and really enjoying it. The climbing technology from Cotswolds looked good, they also do a reasonable priced ice axe too. I’ve bee advised against using my current boots as they are too flexible, so the whole thing is on hold 🙄

boblo
    Free Member

Wonder why they haven’t got ‘Grovel’ on them if they are just as good?

Spin
    Free Member

For something that is potentially going to save my life I’d personally prefer to spend a few quid more and get a decent branded pair rather than those.

The shop owners must be rubbing their hands when they see you coming!

Absolutely nowt wrong with those spikes for their intended purpose and a bit of a bargain too.

druidh
    Free Member

Did you bother to have a look at the link?

boblo
    Free Member

Yes.

tartanscarf

I don’t see they’re a bargain at all! I can’t find them on sale anywhere else to get a price comparison and if you believe the GO (or anyone else for that matter), well…

I skimp on lots of stuff but for a few items it’s not worth it imo.

TS

Spin
    Free Member

You wont find them anywhere else because they are Go’s own brand.

Do you think they will break because they are cheap?

tartanscarf

Yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

They aren’t allowed to make cheap crappy climbing stuff, afaik.

tartanscarf

That and longevity.

brooess
    Free Member

To the OP. Best practice is not to buy crampons until you’ve had training on use of crampons, axe, avalanche awareness and general winter walking skills. You can get day courses relatively cheaply at Plas-y-Brenin, Glenmore Lodge or the Lakes.

All kinds of things can go wrong wearing crampons whilst looking at a stunning view over the edge of a mountain, not spotting a big slab sitting above you waiting to drop, or trying to self arrest without getting your crampon-ed feet out of the way…

A very good friend of mine who is a fully trained winter guide likes to point out that plenty of people die in the hills in winter just falling over their own crampons…

Oh and I wouldn’t buy cheap stuff, your life may depend on it one day. And given the nature of what we’re talking about, it’ll happen when you’re in a very cold place and miles from home…

That said, winter walking is so much more fun than summer…

tartanscarf

brooess is right.

Training is very useful. I saw someone at the of the Wee Buachaille catch their crampon in their trousers and start to go over the edge. If his mate hadn’t been close enough to grab his rucksack strap he’d have been down a lot quicker than he anticipated.

TS

tartanscarf

We may have someone onsite here in February running winter hill skills – email in profile if you’re interested.

TS

mattsccm
    Free Member

Plenty cheaper on ebay but as new ones. Fine.
    Anyone want to sell some nice old strap on ones? My Salewa Everests have come to their natural end and I want something similar.

piemonster

On the assumption that the intended use is winter hill walking on relatively modest terrain, you might want a gander at the Kahtoola KTS crampons (steel version). I’m also assuming you already have an axe?

Most of my local hills are just big roundy lumps, wouldn’t fancy Glen Coe with ’em, I’d pack 12 pointers for such a jaunt.

That aside, I’d assume those North Ridge crampons have had to pass safety test before being allowed on sale would they not?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

A very good friend of mine who is a fully trained winter guide likes to point out that plenty of people die in the hills in winter just falling over their own crampons…

Does he know how many of them had been on a course of some description?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

A good friend of mine told me about a fully trained winter guide who walked over a cornice on Cairngorm (fortunately they got up and walked away from their ‘user error’)

To the OP – crampons look very similar in design and fit to the Grivel G10, which is a pretty well used walking crampon. They should do you fine. If you’re based in Scotland and you want to think about courses, Tiso run day courses in basic winter skills for about £60 – my wife went on one a couple of years back and really enjoyed it.

deft
    Free Member

As long as they fit they’ll be fine, as you say they are just rebranded Grivels (not copies). Good article here:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/crampons-for-mortals

boblo
    Free Member

Training’s good but it dunt stop you making mistakes…

I’m pretty sure *most* people who spend a lot of time in their crampons will trip themselves up at some point, it’s almost inevitable. As for wandering over cornices, abbing of the end of the rope etc. All schoolboy errors commited by some very senior mountaineers despite their vast experience…

As for the subject of the OP, if they are made by Grivel to their usual standard, they should be fine.

druidh
    Free Member

Tim Walker (before he was Principle at Glenmore) used to do that as a party trick. He’d get you all walking along right beside him then “disappear” through this wee cornice. In white-out conditions there was no way of knowing how far he’d fallen until you’d see him sliding out about 20 feet below you. Properly put the shitters up me that did!

molgrips
    Free Member

abbing of the end of the rope etc

Isn’t that what the knot is for?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Crampons’ is closed to new replies.