Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Craigvinean, Dunkeld
  • Premier Icon rockthreegozy

Any good? Have ridden plenty other areas around the town but not much north of the Hermitage DH track/Life Insurance.

Heading that way tomorrow, its been pretty wet today but hoping it’s still OK conditions wise..

Premier Icon rockthreegozy

Open to runs to avoid/aim for also.. trailforks will see us right!

Premier Icon militantmandy
    Free Member

Yes it’s great. There is some pretty wild stuff though! Bambi’s Farts, 9.8, NuSkool and Fools Skool are all good, but not easy. Have a look at (seriously, look at it first) The Blue Trail, although maybe not if it’s wet. If you really want to scare yourself, check out Life Insurance as well. I don’t particularly enjoy the old DH tracks, but that’s maybe because I just don’t know them very well. They are line choice galore. I’ve not ridden the stuff further north so can’t comment. Of course, it’s an easy pedal across to Birnham or Atholl too.

Let us know how you got on!

Premier Icon chakaping

In addition to what he said, the “Dalmarnock Descent” (red on Trailforks) is a cracking long flowy singletrack trail.

Jamo’s Belly/Bottom were decent too, bit steeper but not mad IIRC.

Disclaimer – I’ve only ridden that hill in the bone dry.

Premier Icon lucky7500

The riding at Craigvinean is amazing but all quite challenging. I personally consider a lot of the trails to be a step up from golfie for example. The rockier trails at Thornielee tend to to be sort of similar.
    Cairn to cottage is a good trail to start with. Tricky but not ridiculously so and a good introduction to the type of thing to expect!! Otherwise largely agree with above.
    As with any steep and / or technical rooty rocky riding obviously be careful in the wet. (Not meant in a patronising way).

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Saw a video from Dunkeld on Insta yesterday which looked a lot of fun, didn’t say which trail it was.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

The riding at Craigvinean is amazing but all quite challenging. I personally consider a lot of the trails to be a step up from golfie for example. The rockier trails at Thornielee tend to to be sort of similar.

This was eldest_oab’s take on things – Atholl hill (Yer Maw,  Bobby’s Baws, Yer Maws Erse, Sacrifice etc) are very similar apparently.

Premier Icon BoardinBob

Saw a video from Dunkeld on Insta yesterday which looked a lot of fun, didn’t say which trail it was.

Jules video?

If so, it’s over on Atholl Hill

Premier Icon rockthreegozy

So we did-

Dalmarnock Descent
    Dead End into Middle
    Commit or Cry/Bambis Farts/9.8
    Cairn to Cottage.

About 23k, 900m climbing. Good day, trails had a few puddles but great condition considering the rain yesterday.

This side of Dunkeld is definetly a bit rawer than the manicured trails of the Golfie etc. Keen to get back to Pitlochry too.

We did find that trying to come back up the hill seemed a bit awkward- we ended up pushing up a few sections of trail to get onto higher fire roads again, there didn’t seem to be an obvious pedal all the way (apart from the Hermitage to Cairn2cottage split).

We will return, I fancy the Blue Trail seeing as Life Insurance was my cup of tea when last on this side!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.