Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Cracks in your fingers from dust
  • bearnecessities

Chuffing nora they hurt – esp when you have.. *counts* ..3 on each hand.

That’s it really. Can’t type much more.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Use barrier cream a few times a day. It helps.

PePPeR

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/reviews/B00121UVU0/ref=mw_dp_cr/275-1554130-4097126ou want

O’Keefes working hands. It’s brilliant!

Failing that Neutrogena for dry hands is good too!

Mind you I’ve got 3 cracks in my fingers at the moment, thank F, for predictive text as you wouldn’t understand a word!

coffeeking
    Free Member

From dust?

jim25

cement

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yep, dust dries the hands out.

I use Neutrogena Norweigian formula hand cream (unscented). After a bit of hand cream treatment, they’re right as rain.

Stoner
    Free Member

I use o’keefes too. Using a barrier beforehand is better though. To recover deep cuts, use a blob of sudocreme from your nearest passing cat and cover with a plaster overnight. I find it aids healing, prevents infection and moisturises.

househusband

This stuff is really, really good – a colleague with eczema gets in on prescription but can also be bought over the counter:

These are about a tenner or so and goes a long way.

kayak23

I’m a woodworker and get this quite a lot. Best remedy I’ve found once I have one is to simply put a plaster over it. It helps to retain the moisture in the skin and usually they’ll heal overnight if you leave it on. Dab of cream on the plaster too.

I use barrier cream after every hand wash now which seems to help.

garage-dweller

^^^^ that (househusband) or diprobase

I am an atrixo “man”.

I know it’s a bit girly but in the days before endless choice it was what my grandfather used after spending hours on end teaching me to use wood tools from a really early age. 30 years later the smell reminds me of him and all the brilliant stuff he taught me.

Back OT yes cement cracking hurts lots but not as much as hitting your thumb with a lump hammer (doh)

wrightyson
    Free Member

😆
    I’m sorry.

CountZero

I used to get really painful splits in my fingers, and hands too, sometimes, because I handle paper, lots of it, all day.
    Tried various creams, superglue, Micropore tape, (best solution on my fingers), all sorts of stuff.
    Anyway, I was looking through the health pages of the Daily Wail, (yes, I know, my dad gets it, I look through it to see how self-righteous they are), anyway, I happened to notice a little article about not using gel hand-wash, as it dries out the skin, instead using bar soap, so I stopped using it, and bought some Wright’s Traditional bar soap. The splits and cracks stopped within a couple of days! It’s made a huge difference, so if anyone uses those gel dispensers at home, and has skin problems, try ordinary soap.

bearnecessities

Well all rather irrelevant right now as just caught a burglar jumping over the fence into my garden. Proper s*** me up that has.

Bikes now in bedroom, where they belong.

wrightyson
    Free Member

WTF!
    Bears next two posts.

How to attach broken glass to fence panels
    Cheap suppliers of razor wire!

Scum bags indeed!!

bearnecessities

Aye. Good job I’m moving in 5 days.

Really freaked me out; stood at the back door and thought it was my cat jumping over the fence, then remembered I don’t have a cat anymore.

Over plops some bloke.

slackalice
    Free Member

Urine.

Soak your hands in your urine at the end of each day. The fissures will disappear.

Don’t ask me how I know, I do and you’ll just have to try it for yourself.

bearnecessities

Police helicopter overhead now. Earning my BD postcode.

garage-dweller

Or soak the burglars shoes in urine?

bonchance
    Free Member

gits! ‘Burglar paint’ (kind of hard grease stuff from Toolstation et al) daubed on fence and wall tops might be an idea..

– glass and razor wire were verboten according to local constabulary..

They suggested it; as in their own experience round y’er most perps were like cats and hated to be soiled – or left with incriminating ‘crap’ all over them when they stroll off up road 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s early for thieving! You think the would be tea leaf was expecting you to be at the other gaff doing the building work? (I presume there is another gaff and you’re not leaving the place you’re doing up)

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d be inclined to totally ignore the old bill and put what the **** I wanted atop my fence!

bonchance
    Free Member

fair enough I felt the same – one of their own giving chase was the example they gave – I never actually got round to doing either 🙄

they seemed to like it from a recent incident; catching scrote strolling a few blocks away – having dumped swag/tools in wheelie bin somewhere – denying all knowledge – greasy stuff even linked him to bin and swag 🙂

bearnecessities

You think the would be tea leaf was expecting you to be at the other gaff doing the building work?

I can’t imagine (bloody hope not) that I’m that closely followed! *dons foil hat*

This it at my ‘home’, rented for 5 years, until Sunday. Bikes are on display though, albeit inside I assumed they were safe. One of them isn’t even mine!

Got to say, West Yorks Police seem to be taking it fairly seriously – helicopter still circulating, dogs out and cars still driving around.

slackalice
    Free Member

Are you at this stage, still a witness?

Or are you harbouring? So to speak.

bearnecessities

I have no idea what you’re on about.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

of course much cheaper if you actually get the farming version…

sargey

Grown men talking about which hand creme is the best ffs!

Wanders off muttering mtfu!

Ps can someone post a link to the sudocreme cat i need cheering up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sargey – Member
    Grown men talking about which hand creme is the best ffs!

Wanders off muttering mtfu!

I’ll send my dad round to have a word, he was the one who settled on udder cream after the stuff the norwegian fishermen use. 50 years working with your hands and good to look after them.

There used to be hand cream dispensers in the steel and cement works I used to work at too. Good luck calling MTFU in there 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dust doesnt seem to do this to me. Or cement (mixing a bucket by hand ) but I don’t have office workers hands to start with.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Hemp cream is good but bloody pricey double base is good and really cheap. I get sore hands from working with grease and oil all day and wearing nitrol gloves all day makes your hands sweat too.

_tom_
    Free Member

I get really dry skin when it’s cold and the neutrogena stuff seems to work best for me but I normally just buy whatever’s on offer..

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Could be an allergic reaction to the makeup you’re using?

Drac

I seem to have logged onto Mumsnet.

PJ266
    Free Member

Dairy work destroyed my hands. Admittedly the opposite to dust as you have wet hands a lot and also scream around on quad bikes in the cold.

Neutrogena did the trick for me.

Those calling to mtfu need to get out of the office 😛

wrightyson
    Free Member

Gloves?

The emergence of these into the industry was probably one of the best things to happen.
    I pay a £1.50 a pair at local merchants tho.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed – nothing really beats a pair of gloves for keeping your hands nick/scratch free.

I’ve been using these for the last year or so, and they’ve been great.

martinhutch

Diprobase before and after the day, you could also try something called ‘Climb On’, which climbers use to help heal splits in fingertips and hands. That’s quite pricey..

Dipro will make your hands too slippery to catch thieving scum, though.

bearnecessities

I do use gloves; just the prevalence of plaster/brick in atmosphere appears to be sufficient!

Never thought about prevention creams though; ta for suggestions.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Cracks in your fingers from dust’ is closed to new replies.