Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cracks in a windscreen – the rules?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A small child bounced of my windscreen whilst I was driving at the BBB. The truck is fine apart from the windscreen has cracked but not broken. Imagine a centre circle of cracking he size of the child’s head with a few longer cracks radiating out to the edges.

This is all on the passengers half of the screen so doesn’t obscure my vision. Does the screen need replacing or can I wait until it fully fails?

Edric64
    Free Member

Could have been worse ,it could have been a baby Robin !! fwiw I would change it

cranberry
    Free Member

gordimhor

Living up to your name wca 🙂 get it fixed right away it’s not safe to drive.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is the problem with having big bull bars on the truck, the children just get deflected onto my precious windscreen

bikebouy
    Free Member

Was said child being given a “leg and a wing, with a jolly good swing” ?

Best moves for projectile children IMO ?

What, you didn’t notice, hmmm driving without due care & …..

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It seems okay to drive as I got back from the BBB without it getting worse.

No bull bars on my truck.

Child was sat on the truck bonnet having a ride around the woods and slipped a bit under braking and broke the windscreen with a mixture of head and shoulders.

Due care and attention? Possibly should have noticed he was a bit larger than the other kids on the truck and made him sit on the flat bed rather than the bonnet but I thought it was better to have the bigger kids in the less secure positions. Just being responsible and all that.

cranberry
    Free Member

Awww bless.

benji
    Free Member

MOT failure, damage over 40mm in zone b. Technically at that point it’s not roadworthy, and you should get it changed.

As for not obscuring your vision, remind me to be nowhere near you as you approach a junction, or does your head not turn?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

New screen it is then

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Get the child’s parents to pay for it.

It’s only fair.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Didn’t bother asking who the kid was. Anyway, more my responsibility than theirs I think.

sweepy
    Free Member

I had a bloody great crack in my windscreen a while ago, phoned a replacement company to arrange to get it fixed and they told me not to worry, they never fall apart, just drive normally till replaced. It was across the bottom tho’ so only affected my view of the bonnet.

wwaswas

So it nearly was a child’s face then?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Their back and head more than their face but basically, yes.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

sweepy
    Free Member

I’d drive that.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Makes me wonder why the rules are so strict on cracks and chips, but you can slap a dirty great sat nav anywhere on the screen.

As a point of crash safety, On modern cars the windscreen is a structural part of the car and responsible for absorbing part of the impact energy in a crash. Any cracks or chips can significantly reduce the screens ability to do this, so you should always replace or repair if repairable even if its positioned out of the MOT zones.

benji
    Free Member

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s08000301.htm

If it’s allowable to remove for the mot, I suspect a failure can also be issued but will look tomorrow when I’m on the system.

If it’s a failure, it will definitely fall under the construction and usage regs, but the trouble is, there are that many about, and until it’s seen as being a major cause of collisions the BiB will not target it.

brakes
    Free Member

have you STILL got that Merc?
    you should have given it away as a prize at BBB.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Brakes – keep forgetting to sell the Merc, MrsWCA loves it. I WILL be sticking it on eBay this weekend though as I have the black one now. If you want it, give me a shout.

Clobber
    Free Member

Child was sat on the truck bonnet having a ride around the woods and slipped a bit under braking and broke the windscreen with a mixture of head and shoulders

If you were braking the kid would have gone forward off the front not back into your windscreen

bikebouy
    Free Member

Clearly he braked hard then hit the go peddle to the Maxx just in time to scoop the kid up before he fell on the floor and running over him 😆

I’d Not drive that, it looks too far gone and a BBB sticker would be at a weird angle so no one could read it anyways up.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Are you sure it wasn’t a childface?

Left a pretty good imprint down on the left there….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

bikebout is right for the technique

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cracks in a windscreen – the rules?’ is closed to new replies.