Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • cracked zesty frame
  • mattg123
    Free Member

I’ve just noticed what looks like a crack around the non-drive side pivot, Bikes a 2011 zesty 514. Anyone else seen this before & is it terminal ??
    Cheers.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Are you sure it isn’t a sticker?

mattg123
    Free Member

not a sticker mate, i assume there’s a metal bearing housing set in the carbon & it looks like its moved…

FuzzyWuzzy

It certainly doesn’t look good, if you’re the original owner it would def be a warranty job, If not I guess may as well carry on riding it or buy a new rear swing-arm

mattg123
    Free Member

i’m the original owner so will be taking to the shop at the earliest opportunity…

wwaswas

siezed bearing causing insert to twist in frame?

IA

siezed bearing causing insert to twist in frame?

My first thought too…2nd thought being when did you last change the bearings and what sort of state are they in?

Might not be a warranty job if they’ve been neglected…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Theres hardly a mark on the frame, so i’d be surprised if it was neglected.

IA

Or – and I’m playing devil’s advocate here and not accusing the OP of anything – it could be the bike’s jetwashed/hosed spotlessly clean after every ride, put away wet, and after 2 years of this there’s no grease left in the bearings and they’ve siezed.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Theres no marks to the inside of the chainstay bridge or the seat tube. I’d hazzard a guess that that bike has hardly been used in anger.

maxtorque

However the swing arm has cracked laterally. This suggests three possible things to me:

1) it’s taken a bit lateral hit close to the pivot, and punched the bearing out sideways

or

2) someones been a bit heavy handed when changing bearings and done the same

or

3) the cross tube in the main frame is too narrow, or a bearing was put in squiffy, so when the cross bolt has been done up the compression loads have pushed the insert out the side.

Anywhich way, it’s broken……….

mattg123
    Free Member

its been well used but well looked after, washed after every ride but never jet washed, a tad gutted to say the least. I’ll see what the shop says when i take it in.

nasher
    Free Member

That happened to my gf’s zesty….hotlines replaced the swingarm within a couple of days… hassle free

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Just looked at my well used 2011 zesty one small 2mm crack in the paint in that area , just had a pal with a 514 2012 crack the rear triangle and he got a 2013 714 warrenty replacement so hopefully you will get the same great after service. Good look .

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ooh I’ve got the same bike. I’ll pop out later to have a looky.

somafunk

Lapierre moved production of their frames to a different factory in 2011/2012, needless to say they have chosen another factory for late 2012 and 2013 frames. Just about every Zesty carbon frame we sold from the earlier production run has had a problem with fractures near the BB and some go on the rear triangle as well, some of the carbon Zesty’s had headset issues regarding loose fitting headset cups and a few alloy frames have cracked round about the BB area but without fail Hotlines and Lapierre have honoured every genuine warranty issue so thumbs up to them for good service.

boltonjon

Lets hope its still within the two year warranty!

I broke 2 frames in a year – but the dealer support was excellent – you should be ok

However, if your over the warranty period, then the information posted above about poor quality frames from the original factory should be helpful

Good luck pal

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘cracked zesty frame’ is closed to new replies.