Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cracked titanium frame advice
  • senojevad
    Free Member

Advice appreciated on how best to get rid of two now sadly cracked titanium frames. Given the energy expended in their production I’d rather the material was recycled somehow, any suggestions. I’m in Birmingham.

skywalker
    Free Member

Is it not possible to get them repaired?

senojevad
    Free Member

I don’t know but I certainly wouldn’t want to ride them after myself. One of them the crack originates in the ST/TT weld and propagates forwards, the other is around the down tube not far from the head tube IIRC.
    It’s not something I’ve looked into. I’ll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

mboy
    Free Member

What makes? Still in warranty?

If worst comes to the worst, and they can’t be fixed/replaced/repaired, Reynolds the master tube makers are a Birmingham company, drop them a note asking if they can help with recycling Ti as they do Ti too though they’re most famous for Steel.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

solder then on to the classifieds ebay 😉 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member

it’s quite possible they could be repairable.

br
    Free Member

tbh I’d ebay them, whoever buys them will not be doing so to throw them away – so will ‘recycle’ automatically

wwaswas

if you’re worried about them being reused and don’t want them to be then bash the tubes flat with a hammer and just visit your nearest scrap metal place – they’ll pay your the market rate for the weight of metal.

Digger90
    Free Member

I’d have thought the value of Ti would be quite good when weighed in – worth a call to your local scrappy to ask the £ per Kg.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

What frames are they and how much do you want for them?

relliott6879
    Free Member

Digger90Member

I’d have thought the value of Ti would be quite good when weighed in – worth a call to your local scrappy to ask the £ per Kg.

The only problem there is that one would imagine the frames don’t weigh a lot. Although the £ per Kg may be quite favourable, there won’t be a lot of Kg!

Personally, I’d seek advice from a Ti frame builder on having some form of reparatory gussets welded over the damaged areas (‘elastoplast!’). I can think of at least one such person who regularly posts on here, although uttering his name would doubtlessly give rise to howls of derision and accusations of sycophancy from certain quarters. (Sod it, ask Brant!)

Failing that, as b r says, I’d eBay or classified them, clearly stating the damage and disclaiming any responsibility if the new owners elect to risk riding them unrepaired.

JamesD
    Free Member

http://www.vernonbarkercycles.co.uk/other%20services.htm

Titanium and Aluminium

We are one of the very few frame builders who have equipment and expertise for repair and modification of both Aluminium and Titanium frames and components. Here is a list of regularly carried out repairs and modifications:-

Fit cable stops and guides, including hydraulic brake pipe fittings.

Weld and reinforce broken seat tubes.

Fill cracks in head tubes and recut.

Replace cracked front changer bosses.

Overlay and reinforce cracks in TIG welds.

Replace gear hangers and drop outs

tomaso
    Free Member

My mate recycles bikes at an environmental charoty in the West Midlands
    wildside activity centre wolverhampton

haggis1978

whatever you do DO NOT use Vernon Barker. ive seen some of his repairs and they are awful!! his welds look like pidgeon sh1t

globalti
    Free Member

Just open Yellow Pages and ring round local welding firms until you find one who can TIG weld titanium. You’ll be amazed at the skills that are out there.

I had a Hei Hei frame with a bad chainring gash in the RH chainstay that I wanted to sell; got it welded and refinished at a local firm in Littleborough for £25 then sold it with a full open explanation of what I’d done as well as pictures.

singlespeedstu

I’ve seen a repair on a Ti frame done by Enigma bikes.

If you’d not seen the damage frame before you’d not know it had been repaired.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I know it’s not titanium but we once had an ancilotti re-welded by pro-drive which works on wrc cars.

sofaking
    Free Member

enigma repaired a ti frame for me and its still going strong

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I had a bike ‘welded’ by VB, I wish I hadn’t…

senojevad
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, crappy camera phone pictures are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/senoj_evad/6953408798/in/photostream/

Sounds like there’s plenty of options for an adventurous soul getting them fixed up, I’ve not got the time for that myself but am more than happy to pass them on to someone else for a modest amount.

Offers?

40mpg

I had a crack in the chainstay of my tinbred. Took it to a local company who make titanium components for racing yachts, the guy welded it in his lunchbreak for a tenner, good as gold since.

He fixed another mates tinbred when it split at the TT/seat tube junction, put a neat shim round it, very tidy welding, cost about a tenner too.

Shame they’re not singlespeed frames, as i’m after one, and quite happy to take on a mending job 😀

schmiken

What size are they?

hazeii
    Free Member

Give them to a local artisan who can make something from them; broken Ti frames are ten a penny, but with a bit of polishing and the right treatment they make nice jewellery.

zbonty

Find a decent welder(by recommendation on here?) and resurrect these frames i say.

There is a safety aspect, but also far too much scaredyness when it comes to component failures imo.
    The manufacturers love it obviously.

breadcrumb

What frames are they? I could be interested, I’ll have to check how big the cabinet is at work- not sure if it could fit a frame in…

lunge

Also interested, size dependant, and am based near brum.

senojevad
    Free Member

LOL, well good to know that there’s a market for them, they’re 17.5 inch frames. So anyone know any birmingham welders up to the job?

globalti
    Free Member

Yellow Pages + telephone.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ask on retrobike, I sold a cracked ti frame to someone on there for repair.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I’ve seen a repair on a Ti frame done by Enigma bikes”

Conversely i saw a vernon barker repaired frame – looked like id dragged my mig down it with the wrong welding wire…

Dickyboy
    senojevad
    Free Member

Cheers for the post dicky boy:
    If anyone fancies one of these frames I’m doing a little auction for Mountain rescue scotland, send me an email with how much you’d be willing to donate (and a frame preference) by MIDDAY today if you fancy a bargain

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fscharity-auction-2x-cracked-titanium-frames

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cracked titanium frame advice’ is closed to new replies.