Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Cracked Ti 456 Frame. Anyone else had same?
  • billyboy
    Free Member

47mm crack right through tubing on driveside of top tube starting just after headtube weld and begining to flare out at both ends in two directions….like an “I”.

I’m sending it back tomorrow but a brief conversation over the phone with On One seems to indicate they are intent on sending it back to Lynskey for “mending”. From what I have subsequently gleaned that is not thought to be a long term viable or good option.

This was a first batch 18″ frame

billyboy
    Free Member

OK…that has transposed the I differently to my font…so make like two “T”zzz, with one upside down of t’other.

Sanny
    Free Member

Wait a few minutes and the photo of the 456 with the separated drop out will appear. 😆

The mend as opposed to replace option isn’t restricted to Lynskey. Litespeed do the same. It’s how they operate the warranty and I must assume that it’s cheaper or easier to do it that way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Keva
    Free Member

Billyboy, lynskeyti456 owner here… just out of interest what set up are you using and what sort of riding do you do ?

got any pics of the frame ?

Kev

wwaswas

From what I have subsequently gleaned that is not thought to be a long term viable

where did you read that?

If it’s Lynskeys warranty I guess they can operate it how they want and if they’re prepared to continue to warrant a frame repaired in this way then what’s the problem?

billyboy
    Free Member

wwaswas

There’s problems either way. If they replace it for a new one then I’ve got a problem with my existing headset because it won’t fit and I’ll have to spend out more money (is the bb the same?…haven’t looked). If they do a pony job mending the frame and it breaks again, then I’ve got several more two hour periods of my life to waste taking it apart and then putting it back together again when it comes back. And then there is the postage and packing costs on top of that.

I didn’t read the bit about it not being thought to be a good long term prospect, I talked to a metal worker/welder of long standing and he gave his opinion….admittedly he had not worked with Ti though. May be bollocks but that’s what he said.

Keva
    I’ve run it with Talas 32s, Pace RC41s and Pikes, all with 51cms axle to crown heights. I tend to think it would benefit from a higher front end so was thinking one of the newer 53.5cms crown/axle 150 forks might be better on it. I ride XC (all montain…wot’s that?) but over stuff like the Lakes/Highlands etc. I have lent it out to folk who hammer the downs more than I do but no big jumps or huge drop offs.

Truth to tell I was getting a bit naffed off with it. I changed it round umpteen times, but never realy got it going totally to my satisfaction. I had kinda migrated through a Sanderson Blitz back to my Pace 303 for most of my riding these days, both of which I think are probably more all round fun/capable than the Ti456.

I’m thinking (among several other things) the BB was too high, the seat angle too slack (does my knees if I don’t have the seat foreward), the chain stays didn’t have enough clearance for 2.35 Nevegals and they should have gone for a 4lb frame weight rather than 3.5 and made the frame sturdier.

Strangely I’d probably keep the steel 456 I’ve got above this one.

druidh
    Free Member

billyboy – Member

And then there is the postage and packing costs on top of that.If this is being done under warranty, your retailer (On One) should be paying all P&P costs.

sssimon
    Free Member

If this is being done under warranty, your retailer (On One) should be paying all P&P costs.

you sure about that? nothing in distance selling regs that state this it is at the discretion of the retailer, it’s one reason to buy locally. On-one will be liable for sending it to Lynskey but customer has to get it to On-one

druidh
    Free Member

“Should” does not necessarily mean “are legally obliged to”. It’s all about customer service, innit?

tomhplanetx
    Free Member

Hi billyboy, sorry to hear your having problems with the frame.

To clarify the process, what happens now is once we recieve your frame we’ll contact Lynskey to request a return. We’ll then send them the frame and they’ll decide the appropriate course of action, which is most probably a repair. Obviously we’ll keep you informed at all times so you know how things are progressing.

Regarding the postage cost, if you’d like to send us the reciept we should be able to reimburse you for it.

Clink

Can’t argue with that!

billyboy
    Free Member

Well thanks for bringing up the postage issue there guys, I’d thought it was a given that I had to pay….. and thanks for the offer Tom.

tomhplanetx
    Free Member

You’re welcome. Just to clarify, when Lynskey repair the frame it’s a complete rebuild and refinish not just a ‘patch up’ job. I had a word with our returns guys and they’re yet to see a repaired frame come in again for a further repair.

xiphon
    Free Member

Nice one tomhplanetx – how customer service should be!

Rik
    Free Member

Really good to know about the great customer service, from a fellow Ti456 owner.

mmb
    Free Member

i’m very happy to hear this as i’ve just ordered a new ti456 from planet x bikes and it’s good to know if something goes wrong there’s a good customer service policy to help me, oh and thanks to jamie at planet x for agreeing to fit the headset for me 🙂 . free fitting to! 😀 .

andyl
    Free Member

On the subject of postage – costs about £8 to send a frame via parcelmonkey and you can pay £1 for each £100 insurance – probably going to be your cheapest option with insurance.

billyboy
    Free Member

Damn….just went out and posted by Post Office.

£11.25 for Express48…..then it was going to get loaded to £34ish for insurance against £800…. so I went for the £500 insurance…ending out at £25.95………..
    ….which is about the same as posting forks off

How do you arrange this parcelmonkey…. forget that…I’ll invoke the power of google

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just to clarify, when Lynskey repair the frame it’s a complete rebuild and refinish not just a ‘patch up’ job

hope mine breaks now!

andyl
    Free Member

Bugger – I found out how expensive Parcel Force is for insurance when I went to return some £600 forks for a warranty claim. £25 seems about what I was quoted.

I sent an inbred frame, with forks, bars, post, headset in a car wing box (same size as a frame box) for £9 with £100 insurance. Arrived next day. Think they used UKMail for that job. On One could probably arrange for their courier to pick it up and get a discount but the time to do so is not worth the man hour cost if they don’t have a system set up to do it quickly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How old is it? I would be using SOGA rather than relying on a discretionary warranty if the frame is reasonably new

andyl
    Free Member

I’d rather keep a good relationship than go in all guns blazing. If you like the frame then you will want it repairing than getting the newer one which might be different.

brant
    Free Member

How old is it? I would be using SOGA rather than relying on a discretionary warranty if the frame is reasonably new

You would.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Would you want to wait however long it takes for a frame to be repaired if your legal right was to a replacement or your money refunded?

I have no idea why folk allow retailers to wriggle out of their legal obligations.

However if the frame is older then clearly what I said does not apply. Its all down to teh age of the frame

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It wouldn’t have been like this under the communists, eh TJ?

Swalsey
    Free Member

Would you want to wait however long it takes for a frame to be repaired if your legal right was to a replacement or your money refunded?

No, but I would as a good will gesture of my own. I’d prefer that over potentially wasting the frame, annoying people who are clearly good willed and happy to fix it and costing their company for what appears to be an isolated problem.

yossarian
    Free Member

I have no idea why folk allow retailers to wriggle out of their legal obligations.

It’s one thing to play hardball with a large faceless bastard company and quite another to do it to a company that are clearly trying to help out and be sound.

M6TTF
    Free Member

TJ in bolshy demands shocker!

hamishthecat

How old is it?

This was a first batch 18″ frame

Keva
    Free Member

Will Lynskey be able to find out what caused the frame to crack ?

Kev

johnners
    Free Member

TJ in bolshy demands shocker!

…or to put it more correctly, “your rights in law”

That’s the law all sellers in the UK market should be aware of before they go into business, it’s not some TJ-created ambush.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Is this an advantage to the van nichols biult frames? Still warrantied but I suspect VN would replace not repair. That said, Lynskey won’t muck around, they have a good name for good reason.

Anyone know what they will do to repair something like this? I guess the cracked tube will be completely replaced? Cut old tube out, grind welds back to flush, wel in new tube. Purely a guess though.

tomhplanetx
    Free Member

@billyboy, I can have a word with our returns guys and see if we can get the frame picked up if you like?

@keva possibly, we’ll certainly ask Lynskey what they thought might have caused it.

Wally

Top quality service Tom, this is why I am very happy to buy another on-one. My first batch flamed Ti456 is going strong and makes me grin.

bobster
    Free Member

tomhplanetx – do you have a non forum point of contact I could use? my e-mail is in my profile.

bedmaker

Out of interest Tom, while you’re on. My frame is about to go back to yourselves with a crack on the underside of the weld between the head/toptube.
    Is a gusset added in or is it just welded over again?

takisawa2

We have Ti jigs done for anodising, & I had a chat with the guy who calls in. He reckons Ti can be repaired, much like steel. He’s chopped tubes out & welded cracks up plenty of times. Reckons its just as strong after.

Woody
    Free Member

Off road bikes represent a minefield, as ‘proof’ of misuse, or not fit for purpose is very difficult for either party, particularly after the item is over 6 months old.

As Tom appears to be doing everything possible to resolve the situation, SOGA is not really applicable in this case unless the OP is unhappy with the outcome. Obviously it is not nice when something breaks or doesn’t work properly, especially when the buyer is deprived of the use of the product for a period of time but shit happens and it’s good to see a manufacturer offering to rectify the situation and be as helpful as possible.

SOGA details explained nice and simply here

tomhplanetx
    Free Member

@bedmaker – Off the top of my head, I don’t know. I’ll try and find out?

@bobster – YGM

neilnevill
    Free Member

Any update for us? frame back, all sorted and lovely? hope so

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Cracked Ti 456 Frame. Anyone else had same?’ is closed to new replies.