Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Cracked my Five – what next?
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Hi STW.

I used to be on here all the time, but not been in ages so I’m pretty out of the loop.

Anyway, I’ve been thoroughly enjoying my 2012 Orange Five as my only bike for the best part of 4 years, and to be honest would have been more than happy to continue smashing about on it for a good while to come, but unfortunately ‘smashing’ was the operative word and lo and behold it’s got a whopping great crack in the swingarm.

Out of warranty, but I got in touch with Orange and they offered me a pretty good deal on a crash replacement Five frame.

Of course times have moved on since 2012, so a new frame would mean new fork, wheels, and realistically I need new drivetrain and brakes as well, so complete new bike time basically.

I can maybe stretch to a new frame, but the required forks and everything else is going to be too much.

I might get lucky and be able to get hold of an old swingarm, but then I still need to tip a sizeable chunk of cash in to get my old bike back up to speed, so maybe I’d be better off putting all my money into a complete second hand bike? Or a cheap new one?

Ideally I’d like to get myself sorted with another low maintenance, ‘fun rather than fast’ snappy handling bouncy bike for minimum expenditure.

Not sure where I’m going with this really, but I’d welcome any thoughts.

What do you reckon?

Pic because why not right?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

We want to see the crack…!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Might not need new forks.

I know a bloke that got a crash replacement SC frame: 26 – 27.5 & stuck with his original forks.

Are your hubs worth building new rims on?

Might not be as expensive as you think….

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sam, a bloke I ride with is selling a Five frame of similar vintage with a brand new swingarm (his cracked too) and six month old Orange repaint of the front triangle. I think he’d take £500 or so.

Want a bike in the meantime? I can lend you my hardtail.

munrobiker
    Free Member

But, knowing how goosed your bike usually is, if you can afford it I’d get a new one. My Commencal was about £1200, I bet you could do a Bird Aeris for less than £1500 if you shopped savvy.

tomaso
    Free Member

Show us your crack! Snigger

andyrm
    Free Member

Build the new frame on your existing kit – you may find bb is fractionally lower but it’ll be all good. Then do rolling upgrades as & when funds allow 🙂

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Haha. I’ve not been able to get a decent pic of muh crack. It’s a 4 legged beauty though and ever expanding.

I guess the consensus is still that welding an alu frame isn’t going to work? Don’t think I’ve ever seen it done successfully…

I do like the idea of moving onto something all new, as the current bike is pretty much completely rinsed save for Reverb and pedals…

Intrigued by the idea of a new frame with oldfangled wheels also…

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Also cheers for the offer Lukey – I should be able to cobble something together in the meantime though. Cracked Sovereign will never die.

jimdubleyou

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqIg7YMbT90[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plenty of used Five frames if you wish. If you want a new bike then its 275 basically as you say. FWIW I am still very happily riding my 2012 bikes. You can break it up and sell the bits, what forks / steerer does it have ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ideally I’d like to get myself sorted with another low maintenance, ‘fun rather than fast’ snappy handling bouncy bike for minimum expenditure.

Most modern bikes are low maintenance if you look after them. The only difference with an 5 is the number of bearings – my VPP bike has has 2 that needed changing in a hard 3 years.

For the list of stuff that you need replacing a new build would be a sensible thought. Heaps to choose from, Bird seems to be very popular and the specs are good value. The one thing to factor in is that importers are getting ready for their 2017 orders with a weaker pound so expect bikes/components to rise next year. This could be a very good year to do a refresh or new bike. On the 5 could you make cash selling the frame that you get from orange cheap? Might fund a bit more. Also apparently loads of people want 26″forks so selling them should make you some cash 😉

pdV6
    Free Member

I know somebody* with a 2010 Five frame for sale, if that helps?

* me

Rik
    Free Member
    shortyj15

There is a 2012 orange five in the classified

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sticker and head in the sand mud.

skaifan
    Free Member

Replace it with a six? It’s like a five but a bit more

ajantom

You can run most modern frames (I.e. 27.5, tapered HT, etc) with 26 wheels and a straight steerer fork. You might need a new crown race, and the bb might be a little low, but it’ll ride fine. Then update the forks and wheels as and when you have the moolah.

hot_fiat

^^what ajantom said^^^
    For the price of a head tube adapter (top race as your five is tapered) you could be up and running in very little time. The only fly in that ointment may be the swingarm on the new frame which will almost certainly be maxle, whereas on your 2012 frame it was an option, which from your pic it appears you didn’t select.

craig24
    Free Member

New Five frame, all your 26er parts. Upgrade to 27.5 fork and wheels as and when your current ones fail.

emac65
    Free Member

Orange still don’t offer lifetime warranties ? Personally I wouldn’t bother with a brand that didn’t offer this, especially on expensive FS frames…

Giant just replaced my 4yr old Anthem, sent them a picture of the crack & 4 days later I had a brand new frame ! Big up to Pedal On cycles for sorting it all out.

takisawa2

Orange warranty is 5yrs.
    Sure most are the same these days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most people call 5 years lifetime ….
    And personally that sounds very reasonable.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

[cough]my full Orange Five in the classifieds[/cough]

Kahurangi

Most people call 5 years lifetime ….

I believe that most manufacturers call until the first crack appears “Lifetime”

hot_fiat

Out of interest OP, did it go just behind the shock mount? Any piccies?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Out of interest OP, did it go just behind the shock mount? Any piccies?

The crack is around the little drain hole in the middle of the swingarm underside, extending along the welds either side. I suppose there’s quite a bit of torsional load going through there, especially as it’s a QR back end and I tend to fairly heft it around.

Managed to get hold of a Maxle swingarm off eBay, so hopefully that fits and I can go back to making incremental upgrades and get another few years of use out of the old sled.

Is there a consensus on what shock is best for a Five these days? I’m thinking pre-loved Monarch but don’t know how much difference the specific tune will make?

VanHalen

For shocks look at the mojo website. They have really good deals on ex demo shocks. Also they will tell you what tune you need and adapt to suit.

I was surprised how reasonable the shocks were especially against what people were asking for second hand.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Orange riders on Facebook my friend 🙂 many a good deal or friends to help on there

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Cracked my Five – what next?’ is closed to new replies.