Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cracked car windscreen and insurance
  • SiB
    Free Member

Cracked the car winscreen over weekend, £50 excess to pay on insurance and a ‘promise’ that it doesnt affect no claims next year. Spoke to a few windscreen co’s for quotes (ie not the insurance route) and a few of them have said not to believe the insurance co’s if they telling us it wont affect our no claims?

Anyone know for sure if claiming on windscreen affects no claims disount even though insurance co say it wont. Any stories (on such a dull subject!)?

£50 excess vs £183 + VAT direct to winscreen replacement firm leavingn out insurance co.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Claimed throught Direct Line/Autoglass. Didnt effect NCD/Payments that was on a heated windscreen too.

z1ppy

No idea if it affects my quote and my no claims are protected, but you have to tell the insurance company when taking out insurance that you’ve claimed for it.
    I’ve had two screen in two years, after 20 odd years of crack free ( 😀 ) driving, though as above my, screen was heated.. very annoying

BlindMelon
    Free Member

It doesn’t effect your NCD or premium the next year but you do need to make the insurance company aware of it. It will show on your history

parkesie
    Free Member

Didnt effect my insurance when i claimed for one a few years ago.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The windscreen fitting companies charge insurance companies a fortune to replace a cracked windscreen, quite a lot more than the quote the OP has. That money has to come from somewhere so don’t kid yourselves it isn’t increasing premiums somewhere along the line.

prawny

As a motor insurance underwriter I can confirm it doesn’t affect your insurance premium, either through reducing your ncd or as counting as a claim. I had one for a Nissan GTR and the screen cost over a grand, still a windscreen though, so the claim was ignored at renewal.

maccruiskeen

Spoke to a few windscreen co’s for quotes (ie not the insurance route) and a few of them have said not to believe the insurance co’s if they telling us it wont affect our no claims

I’m sure they’re rather you thought that – the insurance co wouldn’t pay them anything close to what a cash customer would. But you were right to shop around before taking the insurance route, unless you have a particularly fancy screen. It has on occasion cost me less than the excess to replace a screen when bypassing the insurers supplier, it has rarely cost very much more.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cracked car windscreen and insurance’ is closed to new replies.