Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Crack. Will I die?
  • themightymowgli
    Free Member

So I have a problem that I’ve been denying for a while. I’m not sure actually how dangerous it is as I can’t tell whether it’s the paint or frame that’s cracked. So, should I condemn my beloved Dialled Alpine and if so any ideas for what I could do with the frame?
    Unplease Stay

nickjb
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry me too much as long as it had a long seatpost inserted. Its easy to keep an eye on.

parkesie
    Free Member

Id be tempted to strip the paint around it to get a better look. If it is the frame thats cracking it should be weldable.

tomhughes46

As above I would investigate further. Maybe I’m looking at it wrongly but I can’t see how a long seatpost will stop the seatstays falling off? One of the Dialled guys used to be on here at one point (Mike????)

soobalias
    Free Member

send mike the pic and see what he says.
    i assume from your “denying” bit that you are still riding it, id be tempted to stop…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride that
    Mainly because if it breaks it’ll cost a lot more to repair than if you take it too framebuilders and get it sorted NOW!

TimothyD
    Free Member

What he said.

A wield in time saves nine. 🙂

jamj1974

I am with Peter on this one. Clearing the paint away to see if it is the frame or just the paint that’s cracked is a good idea as suggested above too.

bencooper
    Free Member

A reasonably common place for frames to fail – a fillet of brass over it will sort it out.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

is it s sticker?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s a bit more-ish but you’ll be fine.

br
    Free Member

A pal’s Dialled cracked there – he just had it welded up, fine now.

Not quite sure why anyone with an ounce of common’ would ride something that could easily insert two tubes up their ar5e on a landing etc…

dooge
    Free Member

“Drugs are bad, mmmmmmkay!”

On the serious side I would get that welded before it spreads. When it does go itll be a right off and take you out with it.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s a bit more-ish but you’ll be fine.

I chuckled at this

nick1962
    Free Member

I’d recommend a mudguard too
    Dirty behind

eshershore
    Free Member

My big brand carbon fibre hard tail frame has recently developed cracks in the same place as the OPs frame.

Spoke to their warranty department. ‘Don’t worry its just the paint caused by seat post flex’. Frame is 15 months old and cracks just appeared…

When I expressed my concern ( third of same model frame cracked and put forward to warranty in 2 years) response was ‘we don’t have any warranty frames at moment, keep an eye on the cracks’ 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorted.

bencooper
    Free Member

Frame repairs via the internet – are you trying to put me out of business?!

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Cheers Jamie,
    Anything to aid my denial.

I will go get myself booked in asap.

mick_r

What Ben said. Brazed crack repairs generally work better than welded ones.

Shot blast the area clean. Drill tiny holes at the ends of the crack (probably not essential) and then a nice big brazed fillet repair. Do whatever you want regarding paint (rattle can the area or £40 ish to powder coat the whole thing) and should last a long time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Crack. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.