Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crack in pike post mount, thoughts?
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Noticed a small hair line crack/fracture in the lower post mount. It was tony so I decided to ride it and be careful. No hard braking. I checked from the inside and the crack is definitely only on the outside.

After the ride it has got ever so slightly bigger to the point I am now worried about it.

Had anyone else had this happen. The bolts have been torqued correctly.
    It really is so small to the human eye that if I return them I might get laughed out the shop.

Thoughts please.

mmel
    Free Member

I look at cracks on a daily basis working in NDT and I’ve got to say I don’t like the look of that one. If you think about the braking forces on that post and what could happen if the bolt pulled out, I’d be taking it back to the shop pronto, hopefully for a bit or warranty love!

I do like the fact you’ve named it Tony…

Also, as an edit, I’m guessing your not using X-ray vision to look for the crack on the inside. When you take the bolt out it would naturally try and close up, plus you’ll trying to look down the thread making it much harder to spot. My guess is it does actually go all the way through…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Return to the shop.

The bolts have been torqued correctly.

With a freshly calibrated torque wrench?

wiggles
    Free Member

I look at cracks on a daily basis

fnar fnar 😆

Doesn’t look good though, what torque are you correctly torquing it to?

matlockmeat
    Free Member

[Quote]mmel – Member
    I look at cracks on a daily basis working in NDT and I’ve got to say I don’t like the look of that one. If you think about the braking forces on that post and what could happen if the bolt pulled out, I’d be taking it back to the shop pronto, hopefully for a bit or warranty love!
    I do like the fact you’ve named it Tony…
    Also, as an edit, I’m guessing your not using X-ray vision to look for the crack on the inside. When you take the bolt out it would naturally try and close up, plus you’ll trying to look down the thread making it much harder to spot. My guess is it does actually go all the way through…
    POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    [\quote]
    Sorry, that was a typo! And I left the edit too long.

It was supposed to say tiny crack.

The more I think about it the more worried I am.

It’s actually the top mount, I had the bike upside down to take the pic.
    So I guess the bracket is putting pressure up in to the post mount as opposed to trying to pull it out if it were the lower mount.

Are rock shox lowers made from the same material as most other forks? Only I have always thought they felt a little cheap. It’s some type of magnesium I believe. My fox forks on the other hand have a better build quality feel about them.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

is it a sticker?

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Return to the shop.
    The bolts have been torqued correctly.

With a freshly calibrated torque wrench?

It’s only 6 months old, so I would have thought its pretty accurate. I’ve got 4 sets of forks with post mount and this is my first problem.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member
    is it a sticker?
    POSTED 32 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

Certainly not. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Once it’s been used it’s out of calibration 😉 Most people just throw in “properly torqued” to mean I didn’t snap the bolts and it hasn’t come undone.

Materials are weird, they can fail for no good reason and loads of good ones. But with anything new your first port of call is where you got the forks from.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crack in pike post mount, thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.