Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cowon MP3 players.
  • richpips
    Free Member

I’m looking for an MP3 player and I hear some have long battery lives.

Models? Their website doesn’t seem to do a good compare and contrast.

ta Rich

Garry_Lager

I’ve had a couple of these and they’ve been great (although I don’t have particularly exacting standards for an mp3 player). Have an 8gb one, small and rectangular, that has superb battery life and is pretty rugged. Taken it out cycling for years and it’s not missed a beat. You’d probably get it for a fiver on ebay now, as it must be long since superceded by ‘better’ models.

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of these and they’ve been great (although I don’t have particularly exacting standards for an mp3 player). Have an 8gb one, small and rectangular, that has superb battery life and is pretty rugged. Taken it out cycling for years and it’s not missed a beat. You’d probably get it for a fiver on ebay now, as it must be long since superceded by ‘better’ models.

What’s the model? Likewise I’m looking to chuck something in my back pocket sub £100.

Garry_Lager

It’s the iAudio7 one I have – several years old now:

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/cowon-iaudio-7-4gb/4505-6490_7-32491087.html

Boxy design but v usable and battery life is for real.

£100 would get you God’s mp3 player, would it not? What with the inexorable march of smartphone tech nowadays.

CountZero

Now, if only it was possible to get a 256Gb version of the Cowon…

richpips
    Free Member

£100 would get you God’s mp3 player, would it not? What with the inexorable march of smartphone tech nowadays.

I think the top Cowons are substantially more than that.

Though tbh all I want is a player, without the fancy arse screen and video.

Oh and 16gb at a pinch but 32gb would do.

andytherocketeer

Forget what mine is, but it’s ancient, still going strong, and barely larger than an old style fat USB thumbstick with a screen. Ace sound quality is afaik a Cowon trademark.
    Battery on mine has lasted for ages. Even if i’ve gone away for a week, I’ve never had to charge it (OK I don’t listen all day, just a few hours worth of podcast and a few albums).
    Bonus is they all support OGG and FLAC out of the box. MP3 will get you even more battery hours, since that’s hardware decode.

edit: it’s this one… (not sure if they make anything similar these days)
    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/cowon-iaudio-f2-2gb/4505-6490_7-32106949.html

richpips
    Free Member

edit: it’s this one… (not sure if they make anything similar these days)
    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/cowon-iaudio-f2-2gb/4505-6490_7-32106949.html

That looks ace, just like an old phone. 2GB though. 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

Can’t see past Sandisk mesel’. Mostly because they last forever and go for a good week of dog walks of about an hour a day. Also, they’re compatible with Audibles audiobooks.

richpips
    Free Member

Can’t see past Sandisk mesel’. Mostly because they last forever and go for a good week of dog walks of about an hour a day. Also, they’re compatible with Audibles audiobooks.

Yep seen those Sandisk clippy things too.

user-removed
    Free Member

That’s what my ‘new’* one is. Bought it as my old Sandisk thing suddenly became obsolete according to Audibles 🙁

It’s only a 2GB one and cost about £20. Fully adjustable graphic equaliser which is handy for switching between audiobooks and massive raaawk. These days, I’d probably get one with a bit more capacity.

Mine is at least four years old and as mentioned above, the battery still lasts me a full week, at least an hour a day.

cinnamon_girl

I bought one around a year ago. Didn’t work properly so returned it and chose another make. All style etc …

Saccades
    Free Member

Sony have just brought out some models that have impressive battery life.

e585 (i think), 16gb and 70 hours battery (I’ve got it on the make battery live as long as possible mode and I’m getting stupid long battery life times).

Sound quality is great and has actualy buttons for functions which I like.

Bit over your budget and does have a screen though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had an i7 until it died, and now an i10, of which I have had one that died.

The user interfaces are ok, battery life is great, and sound quality is very good.

There are loads of eq options but I only use the mp3 enhance option, which seems to work well, I think you only need the eq if your headphones are a bit suspect.

I use them mostly as they can play mp2 recordings, which is what dab uses, as I record some radio shows on a pure bug.

Although the recordings are mp2, which is less efficient than mp3, I find the sound pretty good through shure se535 iem phones with the mp3 enhance on.

I think the only problem with the sansa clips is if you use much eq, they don’t seem to have the grunt to power it. My wife has one. As long as you use decent phones you should be ok with one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hard to match cowon for audio.

i have a previous incarnation of cowon when they were Iriver players – my old IHP20 from 2003 shits on any of my more recent ipods for quality of sound imo – i have it hooked up to my AMP in the garage perminantly as its a bit big(HDD player) by these days standards but still sounds awesome.

richpips
    Free Member

Update.

I went for a FiiO X3, a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but seems to tick the audio quality box.

Fiio X3

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cowon MP3 players.’ is closed to new replies.