Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Covid profiteering
  • andyl
    Free Member

Have we do e this yet? Couldn’t find anything on the search other than the medicine thread.

Trying to find a bike for a friend, 2nd prices are through the roof still and new bikes all out of stock. A vitus hardtail caught my attention so been looking round and spotted this..

https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/XyNKZepFHy_yG3yU/new-vitus-nucleus-27vr-mountain-bike-hardtail

RRP is £550..he’s selling for £750 and when you look in the comments it’s not even arrived from CRC yet.

Any other shining examples of the human race?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

There’s someone on the chat forum looking at buying shares in Rolls Royce and selling them when they go up in value.
    Bastards eh?

Kryton57

rathz
    Free Member

Not really at that level but I was looking for 1 litre of shimano brake oil which is out of stock everywhere except on ebay where people are bottling it in small amounts at a much higher £/l.

Shares have risk/reward so not the same thing. The unwitting people who have bought that bike aren’t really getting anything.

breadcrumb

A friend has been buying/selling sex ponds and made quite a tidy profit.

Luxury items are fair enough imo.

plus-one

A friend has been buying/selling sex ponds and made quite a tidy profit.

How much ? Any left ? Asking for a friend

damascus
    Free Member

What is a sex pond?

When covid hit in march I couldn’t bring myself to pay £50 for a tub of fence stain that had an rrp of 8.99 on it!

benpinnick

What is a sex pond?

Hot Tub.

crumpsbutts
    Free Member

Not really at that level but I was looking for 1 litre of shimano brake oil which is out of stock everywhere except on ebay where people are bottling it in small amounts at a much higher £/l.

I don’t think that’s profiteering, it’s just buying in bulk and splitting it for people who don’t want to buy an entire litre.

They were doing that well before the pandemic but I agree that it is terrible value for money.

bonzodog
    Free Member

What is a sex pond?

Its a hot tub. My friend told me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Shares have risk/reward so not the same thing. The unwitting people who have bought that bike aren’t really getting anything.

True. Unlike what I consider real profiteering such as upping the price of PPE when the pandemic rolled into to town, this is only a bike and nobody NEEDS to buy it.
    So I feel a bit underwhelmed by it.

D0NK

Shares have risk/reward so not the same thing.

so does buying something and trying to sell it on, whether its a bike, or bulk batch of brake oil, or many other things. Capitalism innit, we can argue one is worse than the other but it’s all shades of grey.
    Having said that, whacking up the price of sanitiser and PPE is the extreme end of the spectrum, but Ive no doubt there’s huge corporations figuring they can make better profits from their ppe kit, not just corners shops selling alcogel for a £5 a go. The further removed you are from the sale, the less ill feeling you get your way, but its the same system.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thats the human race for you back in 2007 had these mega floods in Gloucestershire took out the water works at Tewekesbury people were trying to sell bottle water at £5 a bottle partner at the time was getting work up about that trying to get her daughters to get some from Swindon I said it will be free in no time at all which it was by severn trent so if you pay you are bit off a mug.

cookeaa

TBF OP the example you shared isn’t really “Covid Profiteering” it’s more idiot profiteering/exploiting limited supply of luxury items. If He was putting a silly mark-up on facemasks or hand gel then maybe, as it is it’s a wishful scam…

Also who actually uses ‘Shpock’?

Northwind

When shops do it, it’s just capitalism, when people do it it’s profitering. Not saying it’s a good thing but it is just part of the way we’ve chosen to run the world.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just go-ahead commonsense bizniss innit?

Just the sort of thing we’re going to be going for on an international level this time next year as we free our buccaneering spirit.

Standards? If someone is stupid enough to buy it, then **** ’em.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

There has been next to no plaster in the country since just after lockdown began and the production of it stopped,stocks soon ran out and have yet to be replenished resulting in bag prices going from around £6.50 retail to over £50 via the aftermarket ,mainly driven by profiteering .

Now that’s a mark up.

breadcrumb

How much ? Any left ? Asking for a friend

He’s been selling on Amazon and eBay, depending on model but I think at least £200 more than RRP.

He’s bought a M3 with the profits.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Covid profiteering’ is closed to new replies.