Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Covid and secondary symptoms
  • Premier Icon macdubh

So I managed to catch covid, despite being single vaxed and pretty careful out and about. Basically for a healthy 45+ guy it has floored me. 2 weeks off work, 2 nights in hospital. Fever, cough, joint pain, dizziness and nausea, headaches. So all this meant I rested for a couple of weeks, like proper wiped out sleep.

Now it turns out I have a swollen leg. Went to hospital and blood tests shows high level of blood clots. Going for an ultrasound tomorrow, and I’m being checked for DVT, possibly caused by being laid up and poor immune system.

Has anyone had DVT before? What does it do to you? Can you still exercise?

Any advice welcome as I’m not generally unhealthy so both covid and this has knocked me for six.

Premier Icon tcomc1000
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmm thème developing

45+, single jabbed, got Covid and it’s wiped me out. Don’t think I have anything swollen but feeling knackered always, bit of a brain fog constantly and get out of breath walking up the stairs.

Sending healing vibes, and my top tip to anyone who hasn’t caught this bastard thing yet is simply-don’t!

Premier Icon stevemuzzy
    Free Member

42, double jabbed and drifting in and out of sleep. Feels at times like just a bad cold, others I am a sweaty disorientated mess.

I was super careful but picked it up at centre psrcs, where others were not being remotely careful!

Premier Icon rockthreegozy

35 here, single jab 12th June and superficial rather than DVT clotting diagnosed 9th July. On meds and they do seem to be reducing..

I did 510km on the bike last month and tested Covid+ back in October, none of the classic signs but yeah did feel pretty fatigued for a lot of November after riding etc..

Premier Icon rob13
    Free Member

My mate has had both jabs, Sinopharm as he’s overseas. 38 years old. Double clot one to brain, one in the arm. He’s been in a bad way and the docs have saved his limb before thinning his blood enough to avoid open heart surgery. I’m single jabbed at 39. Most of me wishes I’d not bothered having a jab at all given the level of risk and the fact that it seems to spread anyway.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Most of me wishes I’d not bothered having a jab at all given the level of risk and the fact that it seems to spread anyway.

What level of risk is reported and what would you want it to be? (Though I thought the OP was talking about issues from the virus and not the vaccine)

Premier Icon footflaps

Sinopharm

The worst performing vaccine available…..

Most of me wishes I’d not bothered having a jab at all given the level of risk and the fact that it seems to spread anyway.

One jab of a proper vaccine significantly reduces your chance of being hospitalised / death from Covid!

The side effect risks of the vaccines themselves are very very small.

Premier Icon konagirl
    Free Member

OP, are you still in hospital or have you been released. “Has anyone had DVT before? What does it do to you? Can you still exercise?” I would hope the doctors are giving explicit instructions on this, and it does depend on the types of clots found, but I expect they will tell you not to exercise hard until the blood thinners start to do their thing. Clots of a certain size, and in particular DVT, can dislodge and cause stroke or heart attack. DVT can also lead to chronic / permanent problems due to cutting off the blood supply to extremities. So just listen carefully to the docs and do what they say. (Never had DVT myself but as a female who has been on a pill for a long time and takes long-haul flights my mum has drilled it into me and know someone who lost a lot of mobility by DVT.)

“I’m being checked for DVT, possibly caused by being laid up and poor immune system.” Did the doctors say this latter bit? The chance of you developing blood clots is almost certainly a consequence of the coronavirus (not the vaccine or being laid up), particularly if it was bad enough to hospitalise you.

Good luck and best wishes for a slow and sensible, but full recovery 😉

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

I’m single jabbed at 39. Most of me wishes I’d not bothered having a jab at all given the level of risk and the fact that it seems to spread anyway.

What’s the level of risk from yr vaccination vs being unvaccinated and then being seriously ill or dead from Covid? Did you compare risks? Including clotting from Covid vs vaccine??

Premier Icon macdubh

Just an update on this. Ultrasound found a clot behind my knee above the calf so still in the smaller veins which means the clot is smaller.

Likely cause is covid as they are seeing this ‘frequently’. I’ve been put on a 6 month course of apixiban, which is a newer version of warfarin and doesn’t need as much monitoring.

Speaking to the doctor the risk of an injury from mountain biking and increasing complications with head trauma or bleeding out meant this is not worth it for me.

So we spoke about general cycling but the advice is a grey area. There’s no guidance. Government website is a brisk walk is sufficient, but surely if I keep heart rate down and don’t overexert I ‘should’ be ok? Don’t think the doc wanted to commit to anything more than the government advice.

So physically I now feel fine, pulse ox back up at 96/97, haven’t had fatigue recently (but only walking the dog for now) and other symptoms gone apart from leg can get sore if stationary, or if I move too much!

I’ve fortunately never had to deal with a long term impact to my fitness and the thought of only walking for 6 months fills me with dread at what shape and mindset I will be in .

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I’d be listening to the doctors if I were you. Do your own risk analysis but I’d be taking things easy and only walking. You can recover your fitness. Yes it’ll take time and effort but it’s a damn sight better than some of the alternatives

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

long term impact to my fitness and the thought of only walking for 6 months fills me with dread at what shape and mindset I will be in .

Or you can focus on nailing your diet, working on flexibility, yoga if allowed.

The alternative could be grim

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.