Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Covering Letter for a job i'm not sure I want
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Hive mind thoughts please

I’m applying for a job I don’t really know I want. I’m of two minds about it. But its interesting and in a field that I’m interested in, but I’m just aware that this company might not be for me, and I might not be for them. It may be that it’s a great match. I like applying for job slike this as there’s no pressure.

So I want to convey this in a simple open semiformal way at the end of the covering letter, as I semi know some of he people. In the letter I say generally what I have to offer and what I’m looking for (but is not sycophantic) , and CV is taylored to the position.

Should I even bother or does it go without saying/come off as snooty? Its not a you’re not good enough thing, just a we might not be right for each but I’d like to know more kind of thing.

Has Unklehomer just been staring at the monitor too long???

GaryLake
    Free Member

Don’t play it cool and breezy. You want the job, end of.

You’ve got the interviews and contract negotiations to figure all of that stuff out.

There’s literally no way of communicating what you’re feeling without shooting yourself in the foot IME.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just say you are interested in learning more about the role (which is normal as part of an application process).

You are making an application, that’s all. I wouldn’t add any other “physco babble”

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObZJN9zDtA[/video]

theteaboy
    Free Member

They might have 100 applicants who want it and are selling themselves properly.

In the past, when I have had applicants who didn’t seem keen, they’ve gone in the bin.

Trimix
    Free Member

Jobs are hard to come by.

Opportunities should not be missed.

Do a proper letter and figure it all out in the interview.

hels
    Free Member

Offhand is not really something employers are after, I would imagine.

atlaz
    Free Member

Either apply and be serious about it or don’t bother. Like teaboy said, if you write a letter like you say you are thinking about, your application would be in the bin.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Play it straight ie, you want the job. Forget the other stuff. Oh and “tailor” your CV and run the spell check!!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah, not being offhand, but probably not possible to get over what I want to – Its just my overwhelming instinct to be honest. Final sentence rewritten as the “look forward to meeting you etc”. What’s in the back of my mind is if say, I got offered it, and turned it down, something I REALLY wanted may comes up in the future, and I’ve already made out I really want something then changed my mind.

hels
    Free Member

The time for these thoughts is when you have been offered the job. Get it first, horses and carts and all that.

piemonster

Its just my overwhelming instinct to be honest

This has no place in any job I’ve ever applied for.

Depends on the circumstances of course. But if I was honest to the question “why do you want this job” (in whatever deeply irritating manner they phrase it)

I’d answer with this “job innit”

Which is unlikely to get me a job.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Covering Letter for a job i'm not sure I want’ is closed to new replies.