Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • Cover versions you prefer to the original.
  • mostlyharmless
    Free Member

the toy dolls – nelly the elephant

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Bream – Member

Pet Shop Boys – Always On My Mind
    Bruce Willis – Under Board Walk

Now we’re talking [:P]

I’ve still got the Bruce Willis one on 12″ picture disc..

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member
    The original of “Hurt” is a junkie whining about being addicted to skag. I think it’s still a miserable self-pitying song but the Johnny Cash version has a lot more resonance for most people.

That’s exactly what the song is meant to be about. A song called ‘hurt’ is supposed to be miserable and depressive…what does some aged crooner with shiney boots know about the words he’s told to sing? It’s just a numbers game for him, “how much money will I make if I sing this song?”; this lack of talent is being fed by the thousands of people who have decided they like him, but don’t listen to country music otherwise.

anagallis_arvensis

mysterymurdoch… go listen to the Folsom Prison album and then tell me Johnny Cash is not a genius. He had more talne tin his little finger than reznor could dream of. Incidently he probably took more drugs then Trent Reznor too.

anagallis_arvensis

Doing cover versions is what country singers do and have done for years Cash wrote some fantastic songs such as I walk the line and Folsom Prison Blues

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

I love how humble bike riders become authorities on who is better! Hearing Cash sing Hurt is a boring pathetic affair but hearing Trent sing it you know that he is the one who wrote it.

Why does Cash have to do so many covers? Did he run out of ideas?

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate Johnny f*cking Cash. Total shit, I have no idea what anyone sees in it.

Much as I don’t like GnR either their Live and Let Die was good.

DezB
    Free Member

Much as I don’t like GnR either their Live and Let Die was good

No it wasn’t. (Seeing as opinions are now becoming facts)

anagallis_arvensis

When Trent Reznor has sold 90 million albums maybe you can tell me he is better than Johnny Cash. I suspect the Cash was just doing what he wanted to do at the end and doubt he was really bothered what anyone thought. He certainly wouldnt have needed the money.
    and I’m not a humble bike rider, I dont ride bikes anymore.

MrAgreeable

what does some aged crooner with shiney boots know about the words he’s told to sing?

I think you are very wrong. The Johnny Cash song was recorded very near the end of his life and the lyrics take on a new resonance when you think about this. Most people aren’t heroin addicts and find it hard to sympathise with successful indie rock musicians who start shooting up to make their lives a bit more interesting, but aging, infirmity and death are something we all have to face.

DezB
    Free Member

a_a/ Mr A, I’m sure the previous posters know this, but they are confusing their (incorrect) opinions with facts. Let them continue in the delusion, I mean what would Reznor do if no-one bought his over-rated goff bollx? (apart from live on the royalties from JC’s far superior cover version of his song)

enfht
    Free Member

Radiohead – I’m a Barbie Girl

mushrooms
    Free Member

The Wedding Present – Make me smile

Teenage Fanclub – Like a virgin

Orgy – Blue Monday …is not bad

iDrew
    Free Member

Rage Against The Machine – Renegades Of Funk

Marilyn Manson – Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)

metalheart
    Free Member

Rudeboy – Laibach: Sympathy FTD – oh yeah. Always loved the ‘do you have a theory about who killed the Kennedys? No’ intro.

chapaking – yes to Ceremony (also love Victory Garden on same 12″). And it was Into the groove(y) by Ciccone Youth actually….

corroded – CCR’s Grapevine is mighty fine but is it really better than Marvins? I think not.

somebody mentioned Luna. Their Bonnie & Clyde is magnificent (as is Indian Summer, Seasons of the Witch & Neon Lights)

noteeth – Satisfaction & Wild is the Wind: oh yeah. Jukebox is pretty wonderful too. Can you be nominated for a ‘cover’ of your own song?: Metal Heart…

Bonnie Prince Billy does a mean CV too. My faves being Horses and Am I Demon.

Tim Buckley’s Dolphins

Neil Youngs Oh Lonesome Me

oh, I could go on at infinite length my dear(s)

Ohmygod, how could I forget: Jeffrey Lewis’s 12 Crass Songs. Fave album of ’07

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

As a devout NIN fan for a lot of years – I’ve gotta hand it to the JC cover as better, as IMO he gave the song a far more reflective and deeper meaning than the original (self obsessed?) version.

Equally, I don’t think I’d ever really heard meaning of Depeche Modes personal jesus in the same way that I did with JC’s

chakaping
    Free Member

Metalheart – I did know that, but I didn’t think everybody else needed to.

The Youth did an interesting version of Beat On The Brat too, wish my turntable was set up so I could give it a listen now.

simon1975

Sugababes Here come the Girls.

DezB
    Free Member

Flatulent Brothers – Careless Whisper

(sorry, my band from er, a few decades ago, I used to play the sax parts on the bass. Awesome it was)

CountZero

For the ignorant among us, Johnny Cash only did the covers albums close to the end of his life after being encouraged to by Butch Vig. You only have to watch the video to Hurt to see how much it affected JC.
    As far as other covers go, and there are many good ones on here, some of my favourites are:
    Shawn Colvin-Words (BeeGees), Crazy (Gnarls Berkely)
    Beck-Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometimes
    Dar Williams and Ani De Franco-Comfortably Numb
    Tori Amos-Strange Fruit (Billie Holliday), Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana),
    If 6 Was 9 (Hendrix)
    There’s plenty more, but I can’t think of any more at the mo’.

billyboulders
    Free Member

For the ignorant among us, Johnny Cash only did the covers albums close to the end of his life after being encouraged to by Butch Vig.

Well said Countzero.

Pixies “winterlong” anyone? 😉

billyboulders
    Free Member

BTW didn’t know If 6 was 9 was a cover (mighty fine tune) can you point me to the original?

Macinblack
    Free Member

The Stranglers – Walk On By. Surely.

johnhoo
    Free Member

oh yes, that’s a cracker. Think I’ll just go for a stroll in the trees

billyboulders
    Free Member

Johnhoo you must be psychic, just been for a snowy walk round the woods accross the lane listening to LOve album due to you reminding me of sanctuary the other night! (it was good agood walk, especially brother wolf etc in all that white moonlight stillness, cheers man :D)

johnhoo
    Free Member

ah BB, you just reminded me.

Spoke to Shaun, we’d prefer you to bookmark the myspace site, if that’s ok with you – that way you can keep up to date with latest developments, tour news, record news etc.
    You can always point your friends at the myspace page 😉

There will be an official website soon too – I’ll plug it on here once it’s up & running

Once we’ve been into the studio to do Expire properly (and some others, he sent me a new demo today that is seriously rocking) we’ll look into doing payable downloads (at a reasonable rate of course!) and hard copy CDs too

Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Cover versions you prefer to the original.’ is closed to new replies.