Cover versions you prefer to the original.

Home Forum Chat Forum Cover versions you prefer to the original.

Viewing 11 posts - 136 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • Cover versions you prefer to the original.
  • As a devout NIN fan for a lot of years – I’ve gotta hand it to the JC cover as better, as IMO he gave the song a far more reflective and deeper meaning than the original (self obsessed?) version.

Equally, I don’t think I’d ever really heard meaning of Depeche Modes personal jesus in the same way that I did with JC’s

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Metalheart – I did know that, but I didn’t think everybody else needed to.

The Youth did an interesting version of Beat On The Brat too, wish my turntable was set up so I could give it a listen now.

Premier Icon simon1975
    Subscriber

Sugababes Here come the Girls.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Flatulent Brothers – Careless Whisper

(sorry, my band from er, a few decades ago, I used to play the sax parts on the bass. Awesome it was)

CountZero

For the ignorant among us, Johnny Cash only did the covers albums close to the end of his life after being encouraged to by Butch Vig. You only have to watch the video to Hurt to see how much it affected JC.
    As far as other covers go, and there are many good ones on here, some of my favourites are:
    Shawn Colvin-Words (BeeGees), Crazy (Gnarls Berkely)
    Beck-Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometimes
    Dar Williams and Ani De Franco-Comfortably Numb
    Tori Amos-Strange Fruit (Billie Holliday), Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana),
    If 6 Was 9 (Hendrix)
    There’s plenty more, but I can’t think of any more at the mo’.

For the ignorant among us, Johnny Cash only did the covers albums close to the end of his life after being encouraged to by Butch Vig.

Well said Countzero.

Pixies “winterlong” anyone? 😉

BTW didn’t know If 6 was 9 was a cover (mighty fine tune) can you point me to the original?

Macinblack

The Stranglers – Walk On By. Surely.

johnhoo

oh yes, that’s a cracker. Think I’ll just go for a stroll in the trees

Johnhoo you must be psychic, just been for a snowy walk round the woods accross the lane listening to LOve album due to you reminding me of sanctuary the other night! (it was good agood walk, especially brother wolf etc in all that white moonlight stillness, cheers man :D)

johnhoo

ah BB, you just reminded me.

Spoke to Shaun, we’d prefer you to bookmark the myspace site, if that’s ok with you – that way you can keep up to date with latest developments, tour news, record news etc.
    You can always point your friends at the myspace page 😉

There will be an official website soon too – I’ll plug it on here once it’s up & running

Once we’ve been into the studio to do Expire properly (and some others, he sent me a new demo today that is seriously rocking) we’ll look into doing payable downloads (at a reasonable rate of course!) and hard copy CDs too

Viewing 11 posts - 136 through 146 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Cover versions you prefer to the original.’ is closed to new replies.