Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Cover versions you prefer to the original.
  • johnhoo
    Free Member

Good luck covering she sells sanctuary (Some things are holy , like why you never hear any good Smiths covers :wink:)

the music’s easy. The voice is a different beast 😉 I’m on drums so can’t be held responsible for that though…

anyway.
    Early plug? preview of my new band: The Wick Effect

(this is a rough demo that we’re hoping to do properly this side of Easter)

billyboulders
    Free Member

Seen it myself, maybe we was stood together, I was the one in a black and white paisley print shirt f@cked on red label t.bird and speed. Not enough clues…. that could have been any of us!

Nice to know you old goths are out there! Like I said good luck with playing She Sells..Let me know when you’re gigging, would be worth a watch.

johnhoo
    Free Member

well we’re in Leeds so watch out for The Wick Effect. It may be a while though.

T-bird & speed. F*Ck me that takes me back!
    (not that I ever did any speed, but my then bass player did. See the “amphetamine” thread 🙁 )

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Jack White, ‘best living guitarist’???

Behave…

No way. Sorry.

What about Yngwie?

(Not suggesting for a second, that Yngwie does this better than Jimi, but it’s pretty bloody good, and he is easily one of the best guitarists around. I reckon Jack White would agree…)

corroded
    Free Member

For some post-tax return chillout:
    Wishing on a Star by Fresh 4 and Lizz E: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d-GpNRW0pPM
    Paranoid Android by Easy Star All Stars: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JIwJ7BvpxiM

billyboulders
    Free Member

Rudeboy – Name a better one.
    Just watched your vid. Still not as good IMO.

johnhoo
    Free Member

speaking of tax returns…

I hear the system crashed today. Well I guess that’s what happens when you leave it to the last minute.

I posted mine last weekend 😉 Took me half an hour

johnhoo
    Free Member

best living guitarist

first of all define your “genre”

Then define the difference between “best” and “fretboard w&nkery”

duntmatter
    Free Member

Tricky – Black Steel

better than Public Enemy – Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uPlIaF65PM

2nd FNM – Easy, GNR – Live and Let Die.

BTW Rudeboy, that is what she’s singing! Quelle horreur!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I knew it!

What a cow….

GW
    Free Member

anything the beatles wrote by anyone else – Beatles = great song writing/lyrics but **** awful voices.

funny someone mentioining “she sells sanctaury”, it came on on random on my MP3 player in the car the other day and all I could think of was how much Ian Astbury sounded like the love child of Cilla Balck/Mr Bean 😕

corroded
    Free Member

Yup, very las minute, not for want of trying to get on yesterday and today. I never learn.
    Not so chilled:
    Black Steel by Tricky: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu8LpalUelY

corroded
    Free Member

Ah, beaten to it…

corroded
    Free Member

Heard it Through the Grapevine by Creedence: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iFtSDalGuuA

… all 11 minutes of it…

johnhoo
    Free Member

anything the beatles wrote by anyone else – Beatles = great song writing/lyrics but **** awful voices.

aha!!!!

Siouxsie & The Banshees – Dear Prudence

Confirmation of the above

billyboulders
    Free Member

I refer you to death letter above, or maybe,
    [/url]
    If you’re after a different genre.
    I really don’t want to get into a pointless argument here, and I was mightily impressed by rudeboys unspellable counter, that is good no denying it.

However, for better or worse, I stand by my statement. C’mon guys I love my music as good as you do 😀

billyboulders
    Free Member

Mind you Billy Duffy did carry off the whole “Love” album (including She Sells!)more or less on his own, and although its not “my music” slash did write the intro to sweet chile’ o’ mine, and they’re still alive so they deserve some credit. I have seen them all play over the years and the most awe inspiring, like it or not, was Jack White

Oggles
    Free Member

We’re Only Gonna Die For Our Arrogance – Sublime’s cover of the Bad Religion song

End of the road – Me First and The Gimme Gimmes’ version of Boyz II Men

billyboulders
    Free Member

johnhoo, just clicked on your myspace and genuinely like that “Expire” song (drums are especially good :wink:), restarted my computer and got sound now, also listened to rudeboys “paint it black”, it wasn’t that good 😕 If you can send me an MP3 of Expire, i’ll play it to a few people, billyboulders(AT)btinternet(DOT)com.
    Good luck, I do live a bit far from you but let me know when you’re gigging and we’ll try and come along (look out for the f@cked up old goths!).

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

My favourites

Crazy Horses and Deliliah by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band,
    Black Betty- Nick Cave
    Sweet Child of Mine- Luna
    I will Survive- Cake
    Police and Thieves – the Clash
    My Heart Would Know -the The
    Hong Kong Phooey- Sublime

aleigh
    Free Member

Dizzee Rascal – That’s Not my name (by The Ting Tings)……not the greatest song in the world but his version is funny!

chakaping
    Free Member

Aleigh – Good call on the Ting Tings cover, although the original was a barely disguised cover of Hey Mickey by Toni Basil (which might actually be the greatest song in the world).

Johnhoo – One of my fave cover versions is of a Smiths song (and I don’t even like them), check The Light 3000 on this page… http://www.myspace.com/schneidertm

Also forgot my all-time favourite cover version: Speeding Motorcycle by The Pastels (originally Daniel Johnston). Beautiful and uplifting, in vocal or instrumental form.

Verbal-Kint
    Free Member
    Flaperon

Johnny Cash – “If you could read my mind.”

Much better than t’original.

gecko76

PJ Harvey – Monkey Gone To Heaven.

Pixies good, Polly Jean better.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Johnny Cash – “If you could read my mind.”

Much better than t’original.

Let alone his cover of ”One”

johnhoo
    Free Member

I wish I could claim the credit for the drums on Expire but I can’t; it’s all Shaun’s work, including the drum loops.

We aim to be doing it properly this side of Easter, so it’ll be updated then. Might have to set up a payable download 😉

I’ll have to check with Shaun if he minds me sending out his work, I’ll get back to you. Alternatively, can you download it from Myspace?

johnhoo
    Free Member

chakaping – that’s “interesting” 😉

devs
    Free Member

Wow, never knew that Black Steel was a cover! Loving the Sisters too. As far as All along the watchtower goes just about every version is better than the original. These are my faves in ascending order; U2, Hendrix, Waterboys and the best is the Dave Matthews band live version.
    My contribution is Johnny Cash’s Hurt.

salsaboy

Just listened to that White Stripes billyboulders, it does indeed rock!

conkerman
    Free Member

I like the Elbow version if independent woman.

Living Colour, back in black.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hotel California gypsy kings

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Johnny Cash – Hurt
    Black Betty – Spiderbait
    Faith No More – Easy

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

billyboulders – Member
    Nobody mention cash’s version of “hurt” yet?

Cause it’s gash and nowhere near as real as the original. Have you people even heard the original? The silly old man relies on his gravelly voice for his fame…nothing in his voice says he means what he’s singing, and the amount of covers he does is plain ridiculous. I can’t stand him!

Marilyn Manson doing Sweet Dreams was much more interesting than Ms Lennox

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

yes I’ve heard the original Nine Inch Nails version of Hurt, but there’s something about the Johnny Cash version that improves on the original.

BTW NIN’s cover of Queen’s Get Down Make Love is great too..

DezB
    Free Member

Nobody mention cash’s version of “hurt” yet?
    The silly old man relies on his gravelly voice for his fame…nothing in his voice says he means what he’s singing,

I believe you’re the silly one! (and yes I have heard the NiN version).

I forgot my fave cover – Siouxsie & the Banshees version of Helter Skelter. Though it’s only marginally better than the original. Just improved by the naughty word, probably.

Cash’s Personal Jesus cover is better than DMs too, cos they are crap.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Disturbed – Land of Confusion is better than the Original too.

MrAgreeable

The original of “Hurt” is a junkie whining about being addicted to skag. I think it’s still a miserable self-pitying song but the Johnny Cash version has a lot more resonance for most people.

Cripes, it must be astounding to be better than the stones.

I’d suggest Mary Well’s or Otis Redding’s corking versions of “Satisfaction”. Ananda Shankar’s version of “Jumping Jack Flash” is ace too.

Bream
    Free Member

Pet Shop Boys – Always On My Mind
    Bruce Willis – Under Board Walk

Now we’re talking 😛

noteeth
    Free Member

Anything on Cat Power’s The Covers Record.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Cover versions you prefer to the original.’ is closed to new replies.