Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Coventrytrackworld. Binley Woods area. Where to go?
  • colournoise

Stuck in Coventry on a course this week (giving up a week of my school holidays – only 12 weeks off this year!).

Got the BFe with me for an evening ride or two. Got lights with me.

Based at the Uni of Warwick. Binly Woods is 45 minutes ride away (?) and seems to be the most mentioned place to ride near Cov. Which bit of woodland (there seem to be 3 or 4 in that area) is best to have a look around?

Anywhere else I should have a look at? Totally aware I’m not going to find anything amazing but would like to get out and spin the legs on some dirt.

Driving to Cannock not really a practical option given the timings of the course.

TIA.

colournoise

Little morning bump.

SirHC

There is supposed to be stuff in Binley/Coombe, not managed to venture that way yet to have an explore. There is some singleishtrack either side of the kenilworth road, running from the war memorial and coventry road.

Alternatively there is an MTB group that head out from Leamington every thursday: http://www.rlscyclingclub.com/content/ride-with-rlscc/thursday-xc

Jakester
    Free Member

When I was a student there, some naughty people would tend to ride out the back lanes to Kenilworth Woods, but I couldn’t possibly suggest that, oh no. Ahem.

There used to be a decent BMX track in Leamington too – not sure whether it’s still there though.

colournoise

Thanks all. Found some stuff in the woods off the bridleway up to Coombe Abbey. Tight, twisty singletrack lovingly lined with branches to guide the newcomer. Seems a fair bit of simple stuff in Brandon Wood too if you dodge the dog walkers.

Jakester/Marge. Cheers. Might look at that for a bimble out on Thursday.

kayak23

There used to be a decent BMX track in Leamington too – not sure whether it’s still there though.

Still there. It’s been having some tlc recently. Not sure how much they’ve got done and the surface very much needed compacting last time I went up but it’s good if that’s your bag.

bails

You can get on the Sowe Valley path here: https://goo.gl/maps/cnJNanB9BpR2

and then ride along to the hospital (UHCW).  When you reach the hospital, head through the back (via the ambulance only exit) to Farber Road.  If you carry on along the Sowe Valley path here it goes through some fairly rough areas!

Farber road then takes you to the bridleway to the back of Coombe Abbey.  Turn right, to head south on the bridleway opposite Hillfields farm, that takes you into Coombe Abbey.

Then you can have a ride around the woods in Coombe Abbey and leave via the main entrance at the front.  Rather than going along the road, you can go down the “twelve o clock ride” bridleway which brings you out by the old speedway track in Binley Woods (the suburb, not actual woods).  But at the back (south) of Binley Woods is Brandon Woods, which is some actual woodland.  Get to the junction of Craven Avenue and Ferndale Road and you can get into the woods.  There’s nothing particularly technical in there, but it’s a pleasant place to ride around.  You can just ride along the main tracks and nip off down little twisty bits as you spot them.  It’s only small so you can just ride about aimlessly and then get back out relatively easily.

There’s also a few bits of bridleway a bit further out around Ansty/Shilton/Withybrook.

Jakester
    Free Member

Still there. It’s been having some tlc recently. Not sure how much they’ve got done and the surface very much needed compacting last time I went up but it’s good if that’s your bag.

Ah, I spent many a day there when I should have been in lectures. This was before it was tarmaced. Still can’t jump for toffee though.

Is it still possible to do the ‘road’ gap over the path at the side?

colournoise

Found time for another little explore tonight. Pleasant little gravel track bimble round Ryton Wood.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have a word with the Godiva trailriders, they will point you in the right direction , great bunch of lads

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Coventrytrackworld. Binley Woods area. Where to go?’ is closed to new replies.