Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Cove Stiffee VS Santa Cruz Chameleon
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Which frame is better?

I think the Chameleon comes in about 1-1.5kg lighter?

thomthumb
    Free Member

better is very subjective.

ton

how tall are you???

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJ266
    Free Member

Not that much difference in weight, I own a stiffee and two friends own chameleons. Both of them love the chameleons, but i think the stiffee is alot smoother. I dont think you’ll be disappointed either way!

timber

flip a coin, you’ll get a good un either way

I got the Cove and it is a great ride, if shoddy finishing
    Chameleon is better finish, costs bit more, and when I bought mine, still had horizontal drop-outs

I look at changing now, but can’t quite bring myself to get rid of the Cove for some reason, even after riding a mates chameleon with similar setup

Rickos
    Free Member

Cove is a lot slacker.

lethal_frizzle
    Free Member

having ridden Mr. PJ266’s Cove, i have to agree its smoother. however i love the stiffness of the chameleon, i think it makes for a really good ride and i’ve never found the slightly less smooth ride to be noticable or a problem. horizontal dropouts are cool aswell if you like singlespeeding

RealMan
    Free Member

I do think the chameleon is the nicer looking of the two.

ton, I’m about 5″7

timber

I like singlespeeding, but horizontals and discs were faff, now with the ebb, much more appealing to me

do you fancy a cove, one careful owner?
    then I can have a chameleon

Coasting
    Free Member

Had both and prefer the chameleon.I found the sizing of the chameleon more to my liking.At 6ft the large cove felt a bit big and clumsy with a high bottom bracket whereas the large chameleon feels perfect.I also think any difference in ride harshness is more likely to come down to the bike build.The seatpost and tyres affect the harshness of the ride far more than frame design.

PJ266
    Free Member

Chameleons just feel harsher, same seatpost (thomson) same tyres (2.35 high roller) same pressures. trust me 😉

tails
    Free Member

Come on theres only one choice

RealMan
    Free Member

I have to say you people have been down right useless.

Why cant you all agree on just one???

😀

Although I think I’m leaning towards the santa cruz.. but then again, the cove does look very nice as well..

RealMan
    Free Member

Dont know if it has a name, but the angle the top tube makes with the seat stays, how does that affect what the bike rides like? The chameleon almost looks like a bmx frame, the angle is so big.

lyons
    Free Member

I havent ridden the cove, but a mate has a 16 inch chameleon, with pikes, and it is one of the best handling bikes i have ever ridden. I’d buy one tomorow if i had the money. but then ive heard alot of good things about the stiffee. plus it has a mildly amusing name…

tails
    Free Member

Don’t know if it affects the ride of the bike at all against if you used the same angles and joined it conventionally. In my opinion it is just santa cruz showing off there fancy new hydro-forming machine. so from the side profile you get a nice/nasty curve from front to back

tails
    Free Member

santa cruz geo

cove geo

In my opinion its down to looks really there both gonna ride good, but then i rarely find a component I really dislike and normally get used to new bits inside 2 weeks. I ‘d always go santa cruz but then i’m a chameleon fanboy

forge197
    Free Member

I’ve considered both but at the moment I am seeing what comes out for 2010 as it’s more for fun than a need, unless a deal comes up on ebay or on the classifieds.

I don’t think there is much between them performance wise comes down to looks and colours 🙂

househusband
    Free Member

I am seeing what comes out for 2010…

I wonder how the mmmBop will compare to the Stiffee and Chameleon..?

RealMan
    Free Member

Do you think either would be better suited to run a 100-120-140mm fork like fox talas 32?

fallguy
    Free Member

Cove is a lot slacker.

I’d like the cove then 😀

forge197
    Free Member

househusband if that’s all that’s coming in 2010 then it will be the Santa or the Cove 🙂

Tracey

Wouldnt swap our 3 for any thing else, not even for a stiffee

Tracey

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Both good bikes, my money’s on the Cove though

nickc

Cham.

Without a doubt the best hardtail I’ve ridden.

RealMan
    Free Member

I think I’m now leaning towards the stiffee, because the santa cruz comes fitted with an EBB, and if I understand correctly, you cant take that out and fit a normal BB, and EBB’s are a load of trouble?

ton

have you seen my frame for sale….. ❓

RealMan – Member

I think I’m now leaning towards the stiffee, because the santa cruz comes fitted with an EBB, and if I understand correctly, you cant take that out and fit a normal BB, and EBB’s are a load of trouble?

A normal BB fits into the EBB. It’s just like a BB shell that rotates to take up chain tension.

BIKES4LIFE
    Free Member

santa with 130mm fox…hardcore

RealMan
    Free Member

A normal BB fits into the EBB. It’s just like a BB shell that rotates to take up chain tension.

Yes, I know. But what I’m saying is that even when you put a normal BB in there, you still have the EBB shell as well, and I hear they dont work very well.

tails
    Free Member

I know you hear all these things about EBBs but the one on my santa cruz has been silent and faultless. there are also other great bikes in this bracket to check out including transitions transAM, mike up ^ there has some nice bikes. brants bikes old and new look a good bet as do cotic, chromag, kona, commencal, scott?? there really are not many duds out there. also have a look on ebay etc for your SC or cove, i picked up a mint condition chameleon on pink bike for £350.

si-wilson
    Free Member

ahem…Chumba HX1 🙂

ton

ffs simon, ssshhhh 😉

si-wilson
    Free Member

Ton, don’t worry, your’s is the only gay i mean 29er in the village 😉

nickc

EBB’s are a load of trouble?

Some EBBs are shite, the one on the Cham is faultless

PJ266
    Free Member

That chumba looks mint, and if im right in thinking this, youre a lucky guy ton! although 29er?? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank 😉

PJ266
    Free Member

On the other hand, Stiffee’s the best hardtail I’ve ever ridden 😉

samuri
    Free Member

never ridden a stiffee but the chameleon is a wonderful bike. I’ve never ridden another bike that is so keen to be thrown off rocks, jumps and cars as the chameleon. Stiff as hell mind and will play with your back over proper long rides but it’s worth the massive shit-eating grin that my chameleon can give me on every single ride.

god, I love that bike.

duntmatter
    Free Member

‘Would you like to see my 19″ Chameleon?’ just doesn’t have the same ring to it!

forge197
    Free Member

si what travel does that Chumba take up front?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Cove Stiffee VS Santa Cruz Chameleon’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts