Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cove Stiffee Stem
  • Premier Icon yorkshiresfinest
    Free Member

Hi Everyone

Looking for a new stem but unsure on what length to use. Any help would be great.
    I use the bike for road and steady away off-road i.e over moors etc nothing hardcore.

Thanks
    Tom

Premier Icon akira

Um bike size, your size, current stem size would help for starters. Also bar width maybe.

Premier Icon yorkshiresfinest
    Free Member

Sorry my apologies
    The bike is a 17.5 frame currently running a 90mm stem. I’m around 5ft 7 big build
    And iirc the bars are currently 700mm

Premier Icon JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Given what you described, bike geo, size etc, my instinct would be to fit a 70mm stem.

Premier Icon cyclistm

Does the current stem feel too long, short, high or low?

I have a cove handjob and run a 90mm stem.

Free Member

Hi
    It just feels abit long and maybe a tad low and I’d like to try something abit shorter. I feel I have to stretch abit I have short arms.

Premier Icon cyclistm

On that basis 80mm isn’t going to be significantly different to what you currently ride, so I would try 70mm as suggested above.

Premier Icon dethbeard

See if any of your riding mates/ forumers near by might have a 40/50/60/70mm stem you can borrow to try.
    Previously i liked short stems and high bars.

Free Member

Yeah I’ve messaged a phew of me mates who ride and build bikes see if they have out I can try

Premier Icon d42dom

same height as you and had the same size frame. Pretty sure I was running a 60mm stem which was pretty short for back then. Bar width would’ve been 680mm probably, with modern width bars you could probably go slightly shorter on the stem length if you wanted

Free Member

I’m kinda torn between trying 60mm or a 70mm would 10mm in difference be noticeable?

Premier Icon dropoff

I used to have either 40 or 5omm on mine with 40mm riser bars. Unbelievably good bike.

Free Member

Its an awesome bike like. Its solid.

Premier Icon ctk

Have you tried a couple of spacers under the stem?

Free Member

I’ve just put some under it and thought I’d try that 1st see if it feels any better before ordering a stem.

Premier Icon Sui
    Free Member

Holy back to the future – -Stiffee’s were / are great bikes. At 5,9 i would be shortening up that stem massively, im 6′ and ran a 17.5 frame with a 70mm stem. Bar width wise i’d go for what’s comfortable and not with on trend massively wide – i cut some 800’s down to 740’ish beuase they were ludicrously wide and clipped every tree.

Free Member

Yeah old skool biking it’s a awesome bike
    For what I want. What length would you try?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.