Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Couriering a bike to Australia from the UK
  • diz

Hi. I’ve only ever used Paisley Freight to send bikes in the UK and was aware they did an international service but they have currently suspended this. Has anyone ever used another courier, that they would recommend for sending a bike internationally?

frankconway

Is it worth tbe effort and likely cost?

diz

Somebody has requested I get a price to send a bike I’m selling out to Australia. I agree the price will more than likely be more than the bike is worth but who am I to question.

crazy-legs

It’ll be cheaper to buy a plane ticket for you, fly out there with the bike as luggage, then fly back minus bike.

By quite a substantial margin. It’ll be a lot quicker too! Couriering it is likely to be 2-3 months minimum. My mate’s bike (along with a lot of his other stuff), when he emigrated out there, took 4.5 months.

reeksy

120 quid is what I paid for Cotic and Stanton frames to be shipped. Plus duties. DHL.

reeksy

That’s pre and mid Covid and they took roughly a week to arrive IIRC

sharkattack

If the buyer pays my expenses I’ll ride it to their house.

DickBarton

Thread hijack – sorry!

@diz
    as in dizinaustria? If so, glad to see you are still about and biking! If not, sorry for the confusion!

CheesybeanZ

Somebody has requested I get a price

I’d be politely suggesting they find the price not you .

moonsaballoon

We have just moved to New Zealand and sent mine and my wife’s bike with <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>sendbike.com</span> , cost about 350 pound per bike . Took about 2 weeks , track and trace through DHL .

There is obviously a fair bit of paperwork and they deliver you a box so you need to be in when they deliver a box , then pick up a week later so thats another day you have to be around .  Not sure I would bother .

mashr

diz
    Somebody has requested I get a price to send a bike I’m selling out to Australia. I agree the price will more than likely be more than the bike is worth but who am I to question.

Would you not need to ensure it was the cleanest bike in history to also avoid any bio issues when it lands in Australia? Sounds like more hassle than its worth (to you, probably not them)

bigrich

Just get a big player to do it. Won’t be cheap

antigee

^^^^ Yep was just about to say that used MTB rings alarm bells (this is a MTB forum?)
    almost guaranteed to be opened for inspection and if cleaning required then its another delay and a hefty bill

I used these people a few years ago for a couple of bikes to Aus by airfreight and they are/were good and will help with paperwork (someone here suggested them)

https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

Like others not so sure a good idea…two or three things(at least) to be aware of…if a complete bike probably falls into “volumetric weight” (see FAQ above website) that is charged by dimensions because its all bulk and little relative weight – so needs packing as small as possible…if other party get a quote ask what they assumed?

My limited experience is that customs clearance delays on just standard low value stuff is around 3-4 weeks

Check if the other party understands that they will be liable for GST (Sales Tax 10%) on value at point of entry declared value plus international shipping cost

Oh and don’t put “swopping for broken Xbox” in the value declaration 😉

convert

I sold a bike through ebay to a guy from the states – seem to remember I used parcel2go to find a reasonable quote. Wasn’t as much faff as I feared. A few squeaky bum days when tracking was not updating (so I didn’t have proof of delivery) but it ended up fine. Old and wiser (and the world seemingly less kind) I’m not sure I’d bother with the risk now. The chances of being scammed and them being too far away to chase or (if going through ebay) them claiming not as advertised and returning it at your cost, or it getting lost or damaged all just seem too much to bother with. Or rather I’d have to be desperate to sell it and no one else was biting for weeks/months.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.