• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by jonzi.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Courier where I don’t need to pay a premium for them not to steal it?
  • Premier Icon thegeneralist

Need to send my forks and shock off for servicing. Last month DPD Local wanted £12 to send a wheel and an additional £30 to cover replacement if one of their supply chain decided to steal it. They were quite insistent that without insurance cover they wouldn’t take any responsibility for the item that they were picking up from my house and tracking digitally every step of the way to its destination.
    I didn’t bother as it was only a shit broken DTSwiss wheel, but I’m kinda attached to my fork and shock and want them back…

Any suggestions for couriers that don’t take the absolute piss with insurance coverage?

(£67.50 for a £1400 package)

Grazie

Premier Icon JonEdwards
    Free Member

Most of the suspension tuners offer a collect & return service. I usually use that. Then it’s someone else’s problem if it goes missing

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

ParcelForce + Securus

Premier Icon Greybeard

I remember a problem with Royal Mail, I think, refusing to carry shocks because they contain pressurised gas. They were confiscating and disposing of them, as being in breach of their T&C.

So I would also recommend a service offered by the  suspension company.

Premier Icon acidchunks
    Free Member

Last time I got a fork serviced I drove it over to Macc from South Manchester. Repeated the trip to pick it up 5 days later.

I’d looked at posting but insured to replacement value made it stupid expensive.

Would do it again tbh, even with the price of fuel as it is.

Premier Icon thegeneralist

Oohh…
    Which company in macc? Any good?
    Took them to a little shack up north of Manc last time and it was pointless. Neither me nor missus noticed any difference after

So want to be sure it’s a good place.

Edit.. Slick n slide?

Premier Icon 1timmy1

Slick n Slide are in Macc, Rick’s great. I’ve been to him a few times to.

Premier Icon acidchunks
    Free Member

Yeah was slick n slide. Great service.

The little shack wasn’t Rebound was it?

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

I remember a problem with Royal Mail, I think, refusing to carry shocks because they contain pressurised gas. They were confiscating and disposing of them, as being in breach of their T&C.

Same with hydraulic brakes. But oddly enough they seem to be able to send these things when its a commercial contract. I wonder how many full suspension bikes with both items parcelforce has managed to deliver to shops without needing to confiscate and destroy them.

Premier Icon ads678
    Free Member

Parcelforce and royal mail are different things.

Premier Icon weeksy

I used RM this week to send a shock to Silverfish/Fox… I used next day sighned for, was about £8… They never checked and i got a mail from Silverfish that told me it had arrived…

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Use ParcelForce. I have used them for 20+ years and never had a single issue. The prices have also been reduced a fair amount recently to closer match the competition

Premier Icon scottishscrutineer
    Free Member

Try https://www.paisleyfreight.com/
    They have a good reputation and reasonable pricing

Premier Icon binman

I had a similar quandary and drove up to Slick n Slide too.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

They have a good reputation and reasonable pricing

Absolutely hit and miss as they rely on (the same) local couriers.

Premier Icon thegeneralist

Yeah was slick n slide. Great service.

Righto. Have just booked them in the week after next. Many thanks for the suggestion (+acid, timmy)

The little shack wasn’t Rebound was it?

Not sure. Looking at Google photos suggests it’s mot the same place, unless he has moved premises in the last 8 years?
    (For full disclosure and fairness, I’m the antiweeksy when it comes to suspension fettling so it could be that the 3 bits we got him to do were so far gone as to be impossible to rectify)

Thanks everyone for other suggestions. Will follow up next time I do have to send anything

Premier Icon remedyflyer
    Free Member

Parcel force have dropped there prices by quite a bit so much cheaper than they use to be.Sent a shock out the other day for LBS to Fox no problem with Royal Mail they have never had a problem with sending brakes there is a story behind that shock business years ago not quite straight forward.

Premier Icon jonzi
    Free Member

i sent a kids commencal via paisley, they left it outside the house, no signature it was stolen and 4 months later they still haven’t paid up for losing it

Probably have to go through small claims, or whatever it’s called, to get the money back

Clowns, wouldn’t use them again

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.