Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Couple die in landslide story
  • carbon337
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-18872203

Is it just me that finds this story a bit odd? They were missing for a week, there was a landslide across a road that nobody cleaned up for over a week.

What a horrible way to go 🙁

neninja
    Free Member

I thought the same myself. I can only imagine there was still a risk of further slippage so was left until it stabilised. Given that they were missing from that area you’d have thought the link might have been made sooner.

As you say, a totally nightmarish way to go.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Does seem odd. Looking at this you’d think a car would be pretty obvious, but apparently not.

[video]http://vimeo.com/45498617[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

They found a guy dead in a car jut off the A3 outside Guildford. The car gone down a bank into some trees, it had been there 6 months.

carbon337
    Free Member

^ yeah but these people weren’t down an embankment they were on a road that must have been assessed by someone. They say it was being closed until it could be fixed in September, someone must have on the scene at some point, probably when the poor buggers were still alive inside the car.

bencooper
    Free Member

That kind of weight falling on the car, I’d doubt they’d have survived anyway.

CountZero

Further to this, the Police checked the landslip with heat-seeking equipment, which showed nothing underneath. A full excavation was only carried out after checks on mobile phone calls and credit card use placed the missing people in the area of the village. The car was crushed flat to the tops of the wheel arches, it looked like a Fabia, a small Škoda certainly, and nobody could have survived a couple of hundred tons of rock and mud falling twenty feet onto their car.
    Desperately bad luck the have been there at that moment.
    This was on the BBC West of England news a short time ago.

KonaTC

I found this really shocking a chap interviewed by the BBC summed it up for me (paraphrased); “an avalanche and a rescue crew is on-site within hours but in the UK it takes 10 days before anyone looks”.

Then after a mere 40 mins of looking ‘properly’ a car is found. My heartfelt condolence to the families for whom it must have been awful waiting to find out what had happened

ell_tell
    Free Member

Not quite the same but on a main junction near my parents a body was found on a roundabout that had been there for a couple of years. Sandy Gate roundabout I think.

grantway
    Free Member

Yep very sad

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Couple die in landslide story’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts