Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Counciling does it work ?
  • muddylegs
    Free Member

There are alot of brilliant replies above.

Go with a open mind and be honest with the therapist and with yourself.
    I wish you well with it.

bukobuko
    Free Member

Feel for you OP, I had some counselling and it helped, it put me in a better place to move forward.

thepurist

If you’ve broken your leg would you expect your first physio session to get you back to fitness? Nah it’d be a bit of gentle tweaking and maybe something to work on before the next session.

Why expect anything different with your mind?

bigyim
    Free Member

Thepurist I feel like I’ve broke my leg 3 years ago and was offered no help at the time so I’ve struggled and hobbled along then leaned to walk again with a bit of a limp.
    I don’t want my legs broke again to see if it helps my limp. I just feel like I’ve learned to limp

Shackleton

From the perspective of someone supporting someone who has had very serious counselling it took a few sessions for it to generate a noticeable improvement but once committed to the process things seemed to improve fairly quickly. The biggest change happened when they accepted that they needed help and gave themselves fully and engaged with the process.

To use your leg analogy; it didn’t involve re-breaking the leg, it was more about helping you to see that there are alternatives to limping.

koldun
    Free Member

@big yim, to stick with the leg analogy – you are limping today but in a couple of years it can (<-can, everyone is different as are the situations) lead to arthritis and then, as you continue to man up and get on with it, you may just end up in a wheelchair. Get it fixed early.

I had counseling late, it helped but i wasted many, many years trying to get by on my own.

Kryton57

Thepurist I feel like I’ve broke my leg 3 years ago and was offered no help at the time so I’ve struggled and hobbled along then leaned to walk again with a bit of a limp.
    I don’t want my legs broke again to see if it helps my limp. I just feel like I’ve learned to limp

Big Yim, my context is I hated flying, and my anxiety through the process made life hell for me during flights, and also my wife and kids as they experienced my outward stress.

To use your analogy, I’d carry on.  Any flight – but there wouldn’t be many I’d choose to go on – will be trauma I live through, and my wife & kids will suffer with me.

But why go on like that?  And in mine and I suspect as in other peoples cases it trickles down to other areas of your life.  Where you are now is what my counsellor would consider the Spiral of Negativity.  You need to realise that you may have limp now, but you could walk normally within a few months to a year and then find you actually consider taking up track sprinting and athletics coaching in the years after that.   Go back, give it some time and soon their will; be a light bulb moment and you can work to break the spiral.

bigyim
    Free Member

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Counciling does it work ?’ is closed to new replies.