Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Could we please have TJ back just for one thread?
  • BermBandit
    Free Member

Shame that he’s not and not just for this either.

Regarding the independance issue, it has always seemd to me to be fundamentally flawed thinking on many levels, and much like the old Welsh language mallarkey thrust down peoples throats regardless of whther they gave a toss or not.

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀
    In fairness I think it’s a bit of a non-story. If Scotland votes for independence, it’s just another bit of bureaucracy that needs to be dealt with along with the 10001 other bits that will need sorting.

mt
    Free Member

no

BoardinBob

Almost 2 threads please. He was also adamant Innerleithen would never get a chairlift

jota180
    Free Member

If Scotland votes for independence, it’s just another bit of bureaucracy that needs to be dealt with

I think that’s the point with this though, a lot of folks would like to know where they stand with the EEC and the Euro before they vote.
    Barroso has pretty much said they’ll need to re-negotiate so unless an equally informed source can be found to contradict him, you’ve got to side with his way of thinking when voting.

Bregante

Could we please have TJ back just for one thread?

br
    Free Member

Simple really.

If Scotland will be a +ve contributor to the EU, they’ll have them in. If they’re a -ve contributor…, it’ll take lots of talking.

And if Scotland will be +ve, why would they want to join?

geoffj

Almost 2 threads please. He was also adamant Innerleithen would never get a chairlift

It wont.

wrecker
    Free Member

EXACTLY.
    I hope that the EU rules makes rUK renegotiate its’ terms also.

jota180
    Free Member

I hope that the EU rules makes rUK renegotiate its’ terms also.

Barroso says no

Mr Barroso also said that, if Scotland became independent, the rest of the UK would not have to negotiate a new position, because of the “principle of the continuity of the state”.[b]

geoffj

Barroso has pretty much said they’ll need to re-negotiate so unless an equally informed source can be found to contradict him, you’ve got to side with his way of thinking when voting.

Are you suggesting that Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t know better? 8)

If a vote was needed, we’d be even more screwed because it would have to be unanimous and Spain isn’t going to vote for an independent state because of the Catalan issue.

jota180
    Free Member

and Spain isn’t going to vote for an independent state because of the Catalan issue.

………….. and I think that – rather than the Scottish issue – is the reason for his answers

wrecker
    Free Member

Mr Barroso also said that, if Scotland became independent, the rest of the UK would not have to negotiate a new position, because of the “principle of the continuity of the state”.

Could we anyway?

jota180
    Free Member

Could we anyway?

Isn’t CMD going to have a referendum?

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 Bregante

wrecker
    Free Member

Isn’t CMD going to have a referendum?

I wouldn’t hold my breath. Even if he does, he won’t offer what most want anyway, just an “in or out” option.

jon1973
    Free Member

Trade, mainly I’d imagine. Same reason the (current) UK is better off as part of the EU, even though it’s a net contributor to the budget.

hmanchester
    Free Member

No

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Responding to Mr Barroso’s intervention – described by Prime Minister David Cameron as “significant” – Scottish Deputy First minister Nicola Sturgeon said the SNP government did not agree that an independent Scotland would have to reapply for European Union membership.

So I wonder, of the three, which one understands European law better. Probably none of them – but it wouldn’t be a first for Sturgeon to be economical with the truth re the basis for independence! 😉 The trouble for the No campaigners is that the easy tricks are being cashed first in the rush for a slam. I hope they have kept their stoppers for later rounds!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Could we please have TJ back just for one thread?’ is closed to new replies.