Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Could someone explain how this happens?
  • Pyro

I’m of the opinion that you can’t change others, you can only change yourself.

If that’s the case, why do we employ so many teachers, tutors, outdoors instructors, etc etc ? 😉

The question should be, why didn’t they want to come and chat to us.

Less facetiously, I don’t know the answer to that question. I’m going to vaguely give them (or us) the benefit of the doubt and say it’s likely not that they ‘didn’t want to’ as you’ve phrased it, they just didn’t think they needed to. There is ample opportunity: There are monthly Practice Managers meetings with the CCG; there are quarterly TARGET sessions alongside the CCG; there are pretty much weekly conversations with the Primary Care teams.

As with so many things, I suspect Hanlon’s Razor applies.

Sandwich

The NHS are health providers, not builders. Why they believe otherwise I don’t know.

They used to be competent builders (before my and your time), but someone sold off the NHS Planning/Inspecting departments and made them independent agencies with a need to make a ‘profit’ to justify their existence and the large salaries paid to the CEO.

Edit In answer to OP greed and corruption. Come the revolution . . . Meh, can’t be bothered.

onehundredthidiot

On another worrying note our council are pushing ahead with £16m spend on iPads and hardware for all pupils, staff and classrooms. To be in place by December. Our classes are to be fitted with Apple TV by 21st aug (when we go back) as far as I know they haven’t started yet.
    That’s £16,000,000 to give kids iPads when 30% of my school’s pupils are in the poorest 10% in the country a significant number attend school with no breakfast a few haven’t eaten since yesterday’s free school meal but hey have an iPad it’ll help your learning. No!!! Three square meals a day and support for the family will do more. Cockwombles.

Rich_s

Thing is, if PFI was so unbelievably “good” for the contractor, what happened to Carillion?

In private company world, I’ve seen so many new systems put into insurance companies that simply don’t do the job. A few months ago I was chatting with a guy who works in data for RSA who opined that they had about 78 separate systems. Most of them were delivered as a result of a new ‘boss’ saying “we need x” but without understanding the impact on older systems or the ability to turn them off.

Recently I happened to walk past a training room where a new bit of software was being rolled out on a sheepdip basis. I saw a couple of guys in there who I teach on other matters, bored out of their minds. The reason? They can’t use the system and there are no plans to adopt it in their departments… Seems like no one ever wants to be the one to say no.

onehundredthidiot

There is also the vanity project aspect. Everyone wants to make their name and no matter what will. I’ve seen a few high heid yins move on just before it all comes crashing down.

matt_outandabout

@pyro – sorry, didn’t mean to be awkward.

I don’t change others. They change themselves. I just provide the experience I think they need.

Pyro

Not a problem Matt, not awkward at all. It’s a very valid question.

At I say hopefully it’s a case of ‘didn’t think it through’ rather than ‘didn’t want you involved’. When useful people to have on board sometimes, but unfortunately not psychic…

matt_outandabout

Indeed…

CountZero

2 groats per perch innit.

Something a bit fishy about that quote…

athgray
    Free Member

I don’t know if the drainage problem is design related, materials, or construction issues, but I used to be a site engineer dealing with drainage contractors. They were a nightmare. Staff retention of capable guys that knew what they were doing was terrible. You might have a dozen guys on the job and if 3 of them knew what they were doing you were lucky. I know of some guys whose only pipe laying experience prior to coming to site was through watching you tube videos.

willard

To be honest, that’s how I learned how to pack my canopy. Mind you, I did then get someone who has real experience to check before I jumped it…

amatuer

PFI isn’t the real problem with contracting, as that’s only the finance model used by Clients / Government departments to pay for infrastructure. The problem with contracting is Design & Build forms of contract that means the lowest bid wins, the contractor is in charge and there is normally an unachievable time frame set by the client. This means there isn’t time / budget for a proper design & check (the designer will have got the work based on the lowest bid, so it’s being designed in India) and there are no experienced engineers on site to check the work, so the contractor will get the work signed off.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Could someone explain how this happens?’ is closed to new replies.