Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Could not be less interested in "Le Tour".
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Anyone else feeling the same way this time round? I really don’t see the point in getting excited about a riders performance when there’s a good chance he’ll be found out as using performance enhancing drugs IMO. I know people say all the drugs etc have been around for so long so why does it bother me, but I guess I was just ignorant towards a lot of it for a while, and I really believed that most riders in it were clean. I guess the whole Lance thing was the final nail in the coffin as far as my interest is concerned.
    The whole thing seems to just be one big dope show.

Lifer
    Free Member

Don’t watch it then! HTH

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I feel much the same way about Wimbledon, or rugby. Each to their own…

mrblobby
    Free Member

I really don’t see the point in getting excited about a riders performance when there’s a good chance he’ll be found out as using performance enhancing drugs IMO.

Just enjoy the spectacle. It’s no different to any other sport in terms of PED usage (in fact it’s probably cleaner than most now as at least they test the competitors!)

DezB
    Free Member

Is this the “I’m not interested in the Tour De France” thread? Count me in!

binners

It might be good. I’ve had some really enjoyable times watching people on drugs

martinhutch

Was that you on the drugs, or them?

fasthaggis

As Lifer says,don’t watch it then.

Watch this instead ,it’s great.

wors

I’ve had some really enjoyable times watching people on drugs

thats better 😆

crikey
    Free Member

‘Pro cycling is like sausages; I like sausages, but I don’t want know how they’re made’

You’re overthinking it, just watch it for the entertainment instead of ascribing some moral high ground to a sport that’s never had any.

Depends if you believe that the majority are still doping, I don’t. If you look at the average speeds in road racing over the last 10 or so years they have dropped noticeably. Factor in the improvements in bike technology and it appears to me to say that doping is no longer as mainstream as it was.

Sure people still use PID’s but they are the minority. The real issue I believe is the lack of scrutiny in almost ever other sporting discipline. I know football is rife with doping, and tennis it is highly likely due to the vast number of competitions and the benefits in recovery that they can offer.

Greg Lemond has made some interesting observations about doping = boring racing but I’m not sure i agree…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s worth watching just to see the countryside, and especially the mountains, of France.

MSP

If you start a thread about something, then you completely and abysmally fail to “not be less interested”.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ll try and watch the mountain stages, but I’ll not be ‘rooting’ for anybody. The rest, well, meh.

Must admit part of me would actually like to see someone go full on PED up the Alpe though just for the sheer hell of it. If you are going to do spectacle then do it properly :mrgreen:

DezB
    Free Member

I’m trying to think of something I’m not interested in to make a thread..
    Maybe Morris Dancing?

binners

Was that you on the drugs, or them?

Both usually. michaelmcc – why don’t you develop a crystal meth habit just for the Tour? See if that sparks your interest a bit

thepurist

Hmmm – overall, as a sporting event with its highs and lows, scandals and surprises, I ‘follow’ the TdF. But I really cannot get excited/interested/bothered about keeping track of each stage, minute by minute, mile by mile. IMO it’s an event made for the daily recap show if ever there was one. (But respect to the immense effort, dedication etc. of those that race it clean.)

samuri
    Free Member

I think without having some skin in the game (i.e. you’re really rooting for someone), it’s hard to be massively engaged.

last year I was so up for Wiggins winning I loved every minute.
    This year, I’m a bit meh. I’ll still watch it.

metalheart
    Free Member

Sure people still use PID’s but they are the minority

There were 4 (four) busts at/during the Giro this year.

If one thing was clear from the Armstrong debacle last year it was the dopers are ahead of the testers.

I’d not be so quick to declare cycling ‘clean’ just yet….

Yes, like I said people are still doping. By 4 busts do you mean 4 people? Out of 250?

Im more suspicious when they don’t/aren’t busting anyone i.e. pretty much every other sport. Cyclings almost got the worst wrap because they are trying to confront the problem

Garry_Lager

Sure people still use PID’s but they are the minority. The real issue I believe is the lack of scrutiny in almost ever other sporting discipline. I know football is rife with doping, and tennis it is highly likely due to the vast number of competitions and the benefits in recovery that they can offer.

Is there any possibility of tennis actually falling on its arse over this? The improvements in ‘racket technology’ seem blatant, but there doesn’t appear to be much appetite to tackle it.
    Would be a bigger deal than cycling, given the world-wide appeal of the sport and the massive difference PEDs could have to individual achievement.

binners

Im more suspicious when they don’t/aren’t busting anyone i.e. pretty much every other sport.

Indeed. The 5 Live programme they did on doping last year stressed the point that it is endemic in a lot of sports, but its just cycling is the only sport that’s taking the issue on. Apaprently, according to one agent, the big money American sports are awash with drugs, because of the money involved and the pressure to perform

So, if you’re watching sports that aren’t tainted by these scandals, then you’re probably watching more dopers

antigee

nice pic but think the Human League’s cover of “you’ve lost that loving feeling” predated adding the girl singers

metalheart
    Free Member

Treefinger: yeah 4 people busted. Di Luca, Santambrogio (both for EPO!), a Russian and a Frenchman (Georges).

How many more that weren’t popped though?

I think there were a bunch of neo-pros complaining about the lack of testing recently, as not being tested even once in the off season… Doesn’t fill me with much hope tbh.

jfletch
    Free Member

Wimbledon will have more drugs than the TDF this year.

klumpy
    Free Member

Don’t wanna watch it because of the drugs? Strange reason. I’ll be not watching it because it’s the dullest thing it’s possible to do with a bicycle, stretched out for ages. Contrast with the recent DH WC rounds, that are not televised! WTF is up with that?

Needs more drugs if anything, if every now and then a rider might have their heart explode like a grenade while a rash of carnivorous testicles sprang off their back and attacked bystanders it might border on nearly approaching to be kinda a bit nearly watchable.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Could not be less interested in “Le Tour”.

Er.. Yes you could. You could be so uninterested that you couldn’t even be bothered to start a threat about it?.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I have no interest in watching a bunch of overpaid, drunken, women battering, gambling, rapists kick a football about.
    But, I don’t go on football forums and tell everyone.

binners

*wanders off to start a thread about not watching the rugby*

Junkyard
    Free Member

I could not be bothered reading this thread but I thought I would go to the effort of letting you all know that
    HTH

Duggan

I am giddy with excitement, I love it

atlaz
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If its on and I’m not doing anything else I’ll watch it.

Don’t see the point in making an effort not to watch something. Cycling on TV is good.

Lifer
    Free Member

I got days off for the mountain stages 😀

Eurosport player on the phone for the rest. It is definitely something I can watch every second of! File with 5 day test Cricket.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apaprently, according to one agent, the big money American sports are awash with drugs, because of the money involved and the pressure to perform

IIRC ‘football’ doesn’t have a dopeing problem because they don’t have any illegality about PED’s, so may be a bad example. Baseball seems to have a fair few getting caught.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

..while a rash of carnivorous testicles sprang off their back and attacked bystanders it might border on nearly approaching to be kinda a bit nearly watchable.

😯

😆 😆 😆

mintimperial

File with 5 day test Cricket.

Steady on! Ok, some of the sprint days can be a bit slow but they’re not that tedious!

In completely coincidental and unrelated news, I may have just authorised a fancy new projector for the office. Ahem.

fenred
    Free Member

I have no interest in watching a bunch of overpaid, drunken, women battering, gambling, rapists kick a football about.
    But, I don’t go on football forums and tell everyone.

*applauds* 😀

samuri
    Free Member

With a quick change in punctuation, this is now something I’d watch.

in watching a bunch of overpaid, drunken women battering gambling rapists

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Could not be less interested in "Le Tour".’ is closed to new replies.