Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Cottaging & Dogging – Advice needed
  • 4130s0ul
    Free Member

Now that I have your attention…

I was thinking of getting away with Mrs4130 (and the dog) this weekend and was considering renting a cottage somewhere near the coast but am completely lost for inspiration.
    We’re in Bristol and I’d be hoping to drive up to 3hrs after work on Friday to get there.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for cottages / barns etc near or on the coast? We go to the Gower a fair bit so I was thinking of something a little different this time. Riding won’t be on the cards unless it’s easy paths but walking is a given.

Any help or advice is appreciated. cheers

johndoh
    Free Member

New Forest – Lymington.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Broxton roundabout.

ulysse
    Free Member

The layby on the A666 on the way to Darwen, just past Edgeworth

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You mean Egerton.
    And really?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wookie Hole

ulysse
    Free Member

Oh, and the parking area for the Singing Ringing Tree panopticon was pretty suspect too

ulysse
    Free Member

yep and yep. find an old post on here about Unimogs…

edit:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/70-years-of-unimog-enjoy

Scamper
    Free Member

Any where on Chobham Common; Cottaging Corner, Doggers Bank etc 😀

kimbers

Headlights flashing = looking for partners
    interior light on = just watching
    window 1/2open = oral offered
    window full open= groping allowed
    door open = its party time

perchypanther
    Free Member

*shuts windows and doors*

outofbreath
    Free Member

“window full open= groping allowed”

Really? I thought people were just letting some fresh air in! Roll on the next summer traffic jam!

ulysse
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    *shuts windows and doors*

Youre no fun.

bodgy
    Free Member

😯

perchypanther
    Free Member

Youre no fun.

I don’t even have a dog.

…or a cottage.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Well now I have options I just need to convince Mrs4130. it may be best if the dog (and by that I do mean the dog, I’m not calling Mrs4130 that!)is left behind on this trip then

Though may I just add the speed with which you all replied and the extensive knowledge is rather worrying to say the least ;0)

mark90
    Free Member

Didn’t you get enough dogging in LW last week?

4130s0ul
    Free Member

The problem there Mark was I couldn’t bloody catch it. I thought I’d have more luck chasing Mrs4130 instead

mark90
    Free Member

Were you still clipped in?

Coast within 3 hrs of Bristol, Cornwall is an obvious choice, and so much quieter out of season. I think this place is owned by an STW’er

http://www.littlebeachhouse.co.uk/index.html

Though a little outside the 3 hour window, but since when has meeting the OP’s requirements been a prerequisite for making suggestions on here.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Not at that point. even with recruiting Elliot to form a pincer movement and attempt to capture the little blighter there was no chance.
    though now you mention it there was someone in a car watching…didn’t see if the windows were down or not.

and thanks for the link I’ll see what the locale is like for walking etc. if it’s owned by a forumite then all the better.

scuttler

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMikaIYbFu8[/video]

avdave2

Headlights flashing = looking for partners
    interior light on = just watching
    window 1/2open = oral offered
    window full open= groping allowed
    door open = its party time

What about if the boot’s open?

chakaping
    Free Member

The layby on the A666 on the way to Darwen

Gets very busy on a Friday afternoon.

There’s even a catering van IIRC.

CountZero

From Brissle you’ve got the whole of the SW peninsula to choose from! It takes me just about three and a quarter hours to drive home to Chippenham from the Helston/Redruth/Penzance area, so it shouldn’t be at all difficult to find somewhere down there, or north or south Devon, which I think has better scenery, South Hams would take a couple of hours, then you’ve got the coast all along from Dartmouth around Start Bay, around Start Point up to East Prawle, Salcombe, Kingsbridge and Hope Cove.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

There’s even a catering van IIRC.

The signs are there, I never saw the van though.

Tiger6791

Fantastic cottage endorsed by Magnetodog…

😉

Booked up this weekend & next but free weekend after 😀

dawson

This is our chalet near Bideford if it’s any good to you

The Bolt Hole

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you get stuck for ideas, Longleat Centerparcs, take your bikes (with good locks) or hire on-site. 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Not available this weekend, but otherwise Little Mayfield in Holford ticks all your boxes.

Close to Bristol, a short drive to the beach, and beautiful walking/easy riding on the Quantocks, right from the door.

The cottage is comfortable, dog-friendly and, more importantly, across the road from the pub.

sturdylad
    Free Member

My brother has this place in North Devon

https://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/devon/north-devon/bay-view–westward-ho!?n=7&pd=1

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Thanks for the more sensible offers. It looks as though this weekend is a popular one for getting away as everything seems to be booked up (Sturdylad / Dawson, I checked the links but there was no availability this weekend otherwise they looked liked what I was after)

And Magnetdog obviously had good taste, I will have to look into booking that one at a later date in the year.

I will continue to trawl through t’internet to try and find something that available and accepts dogs

petec
    Free Member

Bit further…but try Wells/Burnham/Holkham etc in North Norfolk. Lovely spot – endless skies.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Cheers Pete, it’s a bit far for this trip as we’d be going after work on Friday. Hence the 3hr limit so we’re not arriving too late

Tiger6791

Sorry was being dumb and it was late last night (forgot about next door, had it in my head it was booked)

This weekend is available, dogs are not a problem

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/Mid-Wales-Cardigan-Bay-Aberdyfi/Ty-Gwyn-30784.html#duration=3&start=2017-03-10&changeover=5

Normally just less than 3 hours from Brizzle,

5 minutes and you’re on the beach and can walk the full 5 miles (and back to make 10)

or

Walk out of the front door and turn left and start the climb up the hill (mini mountain 256m) to Bearded Lake and beyond into Snowdonia NP 🙂

Beach

Pretty sure it will be just as blue this weekend 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Travelodge take dogs, I think – but not Premier Inn.

scud
    Free Member

Bit further…but try Wells/Burnham/Holkham etc in North Norfolk. Lovely spot – endless skies.

This is my back yard, i’m 8 miles from Wells, and Holkham was voted “best beach in UK” for 2016, so can endorse it.

if you need any help with places to stay email me.

Rockape63
    Free Member

we’ve stayed here many times over the years. Right behind one of the best beaches in the WORLD!

http://www.piltonmoorstables.co.uk/littlehillend/littlehillend.html

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Tiger, Thanks for the update on the other cottage. i’ll see if it works out check in / time wise as it’ll depend on what time I can get Mrs4130 out the door without raising suspicion (this is a surprise getaway…the surprise is, I’m not bringing her back!)

Rockape, That one’s booked up this weekend but i’ll definitely look to book it in the future. I/we love the Gower and Rhossili is one of our favourite places to be.

Scud, thanks for the offer. we won’t make it that far this time but will bare in mind your kind offer should we venture that far.

Esme, I much preferred your Holford suggestion ;0) That’s one place I would happily move to given a chance

Thanks to everyone for the help and inspiration

Tiger6791

If you book it, I can’t discount as it’s done through the agent but I’ll make sure there is a bottle of Champagne in the fridge and some flowers on the table, log burner is lit….. etc.

Or if you need anything else doing…..

😀

Arrive anytime after 3pm, you just let yourself in

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Tiger you sir are a star. just one last question prior to confirming the booking. would 8pm-ish be acceptable for arrival? I doubt we’d be able to leave before 5pm.
    Thanks again!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Cottaging & Dogging – Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.